PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get the "race" angle!

Kirkus
08-31-2004, 12:19 PM
Why did Ted start the Roddick/Jenkins match invoking the names of Arthur Ashe, Althea Gibson and the WS?

Am I so out of touch with western civilization that I expect some pie-in-the-sky color-blind society decades -- even generations-- before it's even imagined, let alone achievable?

I suppose I should just accept the way it is, but damn-it, all I hear is "equality, equality, equality", "we're all one people", etc. etc. etc. and yet everytime I turn around I'm reminded of the differences between us.

I just don't get it.

Kirkus
09-16-2004, 10:17 AM
I think I understand what bothers you about this.....but could you explain it a bit more? Are you saying that you feel by now players should be looked at as individuals and not as what race they are? Obviously they didn't speak of Roddick following in the footsteps of former white players.....etc. Is that what you are talking about?

That's exactly what I'm saying! And not just tennis players, people in general. You can't expect society to be color-blind while at the same time support events such as the "Latin Grammy Awards", or the "Miss Black Teen Pageant".