PDA

View Full Version : Kim Clijsters-Vandecaetsbeek-Hewitt?

Sebastien447
09-27-2004, 11:38 AM
I don't know ... kinda catchy :P

Evonne Goolagong started the trend when she married Roger Cawley and immediately became Evonne Cawley (although she is now back to being Goolagong Cawley) and Chris Evert wed John Lloyd and became Chris Evert-Lloyd (although she later divorced Lloyd and is once again Chris Evert, even though she has remarried). Another famous tennis name change was Margaret Smith, who upon marrying Barry Court immediately became Margaret Court (and thankfully has remained that way). More recently, of course, there was the world's No. 1 women's player Justine Henin-Hardenne, who added the "Hardenne" bit to her now famous moniker when she tied the knot with Pierre-Yves Hardenne 14 months ago. Yeah, well, don't expect any of that carry-on when Kim Clijsters finally marries her long-time friend Lleyton Hewitt. Will it be Kim Hewitt? Kim Clijsters-Hewitt perhaps? Well, the answer to that is a very resounding 'No', the Belgian star finally putting an end to the ongoing speculation about a possible name change in an interview she did in her native Flemish language with a group of Belgian journalists this week. "I am proud of the name Clijsters. When I marry, my name will not change. It will remain Kim Clijsters," she said emphatically. That she is proud of the name is no doubt linked to her father Leo having played international soccer for Belgium. The world's tennis commentators will no doubt be relieved that Kim's mother Els also did not insist that her maiden name be tacked on to that of her husband's when they got married. Otherwise, tomorrow's women's final would be between Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters-Vandecaetsbeek. And if that wasn't tough enough, how about if the latter then became Kim Clijsters-Vandecaetsbeek-Hewitt?

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/01/29/1075340786816.html?oneclick=true

Moose
09-28-2004, 11:54 AM
personally, I prefer Kim Supercalafragalisticexpealidocious Clijsters, but that is just me.

Sebastien447
09-29-2004, 08:28 AM
If they have kids, what last name will they use?

I'm old-fashioned, I think the woman should take the man's last name.

3mlm
09-29-2004, 11:44 AM
If they have kids, what last name will they use?

I'm old-fashioned, I think the woman should take the man's last name.

My kids have their Dad's last name, but I didn't change MY name when I got married.

Why do you care what name someone else uses?

--Irate Professional Woman

Moose
09-29-2004, 11:54 AM
I didn't change MY name when I got married.
--Irate Professional Woman

Neither did Arantxa, 3m.
oops, bad example...it didn't last too long. ;) (hope that is the "just kidding smiley)

Wonder what the status is with female tennis players and their names upon marriage. Davs didn't change, Smashnova hyphenated.
Gotta admit though, I was suprised by the convinction of the Kimster in saying she will remain a Clijsters. In all other senses, the girl seems as conventional as they come. Glad to hear she's keeping it though, I remeber when she debuted on the scene, there were a lot of funny pronunciations.