PDA

View Full Version : Will Hewitt move past Roddick for the #2 spot?

Kirkus
09-21-2004, 01:11 PM
With only 36 points separating them on the Indesit and Lleyton coming off of a great summer run, on top of Andy's early loss at the USO, I think by the time Houston rolls around the ATP will have a new #2 with Roddick dropping to #3.

Sebastien447
09-22-2004, 02:58 AM
depends on HOW MUCH they choose to play ... I remember Sampras had to play everything in sight during the fall to finish #1 for the sixth year in a row.

I don't think there's that kind of motivation for either of these guys to try to finish #2.

the other side of the coin is HOW WELL they'll play this fall. I think Andy should be looking at his year as a bit of a disappointment, whereas Lleyton might be seeing his as more successfull ... more motivation for Andy to put together some decent results. And Brad will certainly have a lot for Roddick to think about and work on. I'll give the nod to Roddick to end the year strong and finish #2 ... maybe even take the YAC.

season's too long though ... it's absolutely insane!

Sebastien447
09-23-2004, 08:33 AM
hewitt wants to prove that he is better than all of the other guys. He wants it more

how do you know this?

Sebastien447
09-23-2004, 08:56 AM
You've been sleeping with Lleyton again haven't ya Bets? Just be carefull though, riding the hobby horse with top ten tennis players can lead to a life on the road and sever rumpitis from sitting in those teeny tiny plastic stadium seats!

Sebastien447
09-23-2004, 09:52 AM
whoa! A little forward!

you and Lleyton aren't riding the hobby horse?

I'm confused ... then how'd you know that "he wanted it more" :P

Sebastien447
09-23-2004, 10:33 AM
just teasin Bets!

it's not my fault ...

I'm a guy,

that's what we do ;D

Kirkus
09-23-2004, 12:02 PM
just teasin Bets!

it's not my fault ...

I'm a guy,

that's what we do ;D

I'm a guy and I don't do that. ::)

Sebastien447
09-24-2004, 02:41 AM
I'm a guy and I don't do that. ::)

well, most guys ...

girlymen are the exception :P

Kirkus
09-24-2004, 03:25 AM
That hurts. :-[ That really hurts. :-[
NOT!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
It's Friday. I feel happy!

Sebastien447
09-24-2004, 05:07 AM
That hurts. :-[ That really hurts. :-[NOT!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
It's Friday. I feel happy!

YES! And that means DATE NIGHT!

I get to go on a date with my wonderfull wife!!! :D

Kirkus
09-26-2004, 03:16 AM
And once again the boys take the thread soooooooo far off topic. :P

I dont think thats motivation to finish number 2 but hewitt wants to prove that he is better than all of the other guys. He wants it more so i think that he could and probly will do it. I think by the Aussie Open Hewitt will have surpassed Andy.

Bets is right. Of course Hewitt wants to prove he is better! They all do. And I think he will. I think Roger will remain #1 until 2023, at least. But this year, Hewitt's gonna be the "Robin" to Roger's "Batman". (How the hell does that crap get into my head?)

Sebastien447
09-26-2004, 04:13 AM
And once again the boys take the thread soooooooo far off topic. :P

Bets is right. Of course Hewitt wants to prove he is better! They all do. And I think he will. I think Roger will remain #1 until 2023, at least. But this year, Hewitt's gonna be the "Robin" to Roger's "Batman". (How the hell does that crap get into my head?)

Allright yahoos ... I'm taking bets on this one! Andy will finish #2 this year, and that's a lock.

What d'ya say ... wanna bet bets ;D

Sebastien447
09-26-2004, 05:04 AM
Well sebs im feelin lucky im bettin 3 pennies hewitt beats out Andy!

I hear ya bets ... I'm doing our finances right now and I'm feeling very thankfull that debtor's prisons no longer exist in this country :'(

If Lleyton finishes the year at #2, I'll give kirki an embarassing picture of me to post on the members page ... how bout that ;D

Kirkus
09-26-2004, 05:38 AM
I hear ya bets ... I'm doing our finances right now and I'm feeling very thankfull that debtor's prisons no longer exist in this country :'(

If Lleyton finishes the year at #2, I'll give kirki an embarassing picture of me to post on the members page ... how bout that ;D

Like the one that's there now isn't bad enough? ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Sebastien447
09-26-2004, 05:50 AM
Like the one that's there now isn't bad enough? ;D :D ;D :D ;D

I was waitin for that you! >:(

though, believe it or not, it can get quite a bit more embarassing for Mr. Photogenic here!

Sebastien447
09-26-2004, 07:34 AM
deal! I have no emberassing pics cause lets face it im gorgeous.... :P

find us a pic for the members board you hottie you! :D

Sebastien447
10-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Roddick and Hewitt are very close in points, but how many tournaments have each scheduled to play this fall?

that's the key ...

I don't think either one of these guys is about to drain themselves this fall in order to secure second place. And Roddick has too big a lead for Lleyton to take over second place this year.

Moreover, Hewitt, much as I love the guy, does not have enough weaponry to keep him in the top 5 year after year ...

He'll drop to the 6 - 10 range by the end of next year.

Sebastien447
10-02-2004, 01:07 AM
If you think Hewitt will drop to the 6 - 10 range then who do you think is going to fill in the 3 - 5 range?

None of the current bunch seem like they are going to change much. Are you anticipating some new guys to move into the top ten, such as Nadal or Johansson?

I don't know how much new blood will be capable of breaking the top 5, maybe JJ though definitely not Rafa. We all know Safin has top 5 talent but, short of a lobotomy, he should be 6 - 10 at best. Coria should win the FO and stay top 5. Nalbandian's a guy with top 5 talent if he can get healthy. And Ferrero is a player who could be primed for a comeback year.

My 6 - 10 prediction for Hewitt is really based on his style of play. It's so tough to win with that defensive style of play, match after match. He's never made his serve into a weapon, basically just want's to keep guys back with it. I don't know, could be wrong about next year. But sooner or later, like Chang, the wheels will fall off and Hewitt's ranking will follow. I thought it was happening last year, but he's put together a great year this year. Kudos to Lleyton, the longer he stays top 5 with that style of play ... just shows what the guy is made of.

catz33
10-08-2004, 04:04 AM
LMAO at this thread!!!!!!!!!

You guys are too much!!!

Betsmoyo
10-08-2004, 06:04 PM
It is only the number 2 ranking so what is the big deal? I know Hewitt is better than Roddick. ;)
Lleyton Hewitt continues to advance in the AIG Japan Open Tennis Championships 2004 posing a threat to Andy Roddick for the second spot in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race. The Australian defeated Cyril Saulnier 7-5, 6-1 to enter the semifinals on Friday. No. 5 seed Jiri Novak stopped No. 4 seed Paradorn Srichaphan 6-4, 6-4 while No. 7 seed Taylor Dent earned a 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 victory over Gilles Muller. Hes going the distance, hes going for speed ;)

3mlm
10-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Hewitt came up a little short this week, losing to Novak in the semis.

His next chance will be at the Madrid Masters tournament 10/18 since neither he nor Roddick are playing next week.

Betsmoyo
10-09-2004, 12:30 AM
He lost? That sucks. I want him to win another slam one day. With Roger around it may not be to likely but it could happen.

Sebastien447
10-09-2004, 07:38 AM
He lost? That sucks. I want him to win another slam one day. With Roger around it may not be to likely but it could happen.

Hewitt wins another major and I'll eat my sh ...

I'll eat a really rotten apple ... guess the guy might have one left in him ;)