PDA

View Full Version : Swisscom challenge

Moose
10-18-2004, 10:35 PM
who is left playing? Amazing, you have a Tier 1 tournament, and all the Tier 1 players are crippled. Mauresmo, Davs, Serena, Kim, JHH, Jennifer. The WTA is getting to be sad to watch.

Moose
10-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Today in Zurich:

Ai Sugiyama (9), Japan, def. Shinobu Asagoe, Japan, 6-2, 6-3.

Paola Suarez, Argentina, def. Jelena Kostanic, Croatia, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.

Nadia Petrova (8), Russia, def. Lisa Raymond, United States, 6-4, 6-3.

Venus Williams (7), United States, def. Karolina Sprem, Croatia, 6-2, 6-2.

Patty Schnyder (10), Switzerland, def. Magdalena Maleeva, Bulgaria, 1-6, 6-1, 6-4.

Flavia Pennetta, Italy, def. Marie-Gayanay Mikaelian, Switzerland, 6-2, 6-1.

Moose
10-19-2004, 10:53 AM
Schnyder, wow, what a comeback. lost thefirst set 6-1 and win the match. I like her. Shes good doesnt talk trash and has that awesome frizzy mess of hair.

Bets:
The frizzy hair, yes, but I don't know about trash talk. Didn't you see/hear the incident with Patty and Conchita Martinez earlier this year. Patty got all pissed off that Conchita Banana kept tossing junk at her, and Patty lost the match. When they came to net at the end, Patty extended her hand - when Conchita went to shake it, Patty pulled it away - the old "psyched" move. I think Patty might have a lttle nasty in her.

Moose
10-22-2004, 03:47 AM
Today (thusfar) in Zurich:

(3) Elena Dementieva (RUS) d. (9) Ai Sugiyama (JPN) 61 57 75
(4) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. (7) Venus Williams (USA) 63 64

Ai was never a great indoor player, I am suprised that Dementieva had this much trouble with her.

And the Sharapova/Venus score- wow. I don't think Sharapova is that good yet, but I think she is one of those people that must get really "up" for big matches, sort of like Serena did when she was younger. To whack Venus in straights, when Sharapova hasn't had any big wins since Wimbledon says a lot about her...or maybe says a lot about Venus.

Sebastien447
10-23-2004, 01:22 AM
No.4 seed Maria Sharapova (left) advances to the finals of the $1.3 million Swisscom Challenge in Zurich with a 46 62 63 victory over No.3 seed Elena Dementieva. Sharapova is currently holding on to a 12 match winning streak and will be making her first appearance in a Tier I final. That sucks!

I do believe that your hatred of Masha will be causing you grief for a long time to come Bets.

Sebastien447
10-23-2004, 02:37 AM
I dont hate her i dislike her...theres a difference
There are times when i'll root for her. At wimby ill admit i rooted against her most of the tourney. But when she played Serena in the finals i rooted for her. There are players out there i loathe more than her.

OK ... we'll go with strong dislike then! And might one of those loathed played be Anastasia?

The only player I really don't care for is Safin. The way he wastes his talent and makes a mockery of the sport.

Oh yeah, and I don't like Nadal much since he beat up on Gasquet the last time they played :P

Moose
10-23-2004, 03:04 AM
In Sunday's final Sharapova will take on unseeded Australian Alicia Molik who upset local favourite and 10th-seed Patty Schnyder 4-6 6-1 6-4

Don't think anyone saw this final coming.
Sharapova, gifted but raw. Looks like the Asian swing helped her game a lot - kind of a slap in the face to the people that were gripping when she entered two tournaments with marginal players. She probably needed a confidence booster (what 17 year old doesn't after incredible success followed by poor results on US Hardcourts).

And Molik, another hard hitter. Can pull upsets, but never seems to be able to beat (regularly) players in the 15-50 rankings. A great run for her.

Gotta think Masha comes into the final the favorite, but Molik has shown little respect for favorites all week long.