PDA

View Full Version : The Case for Federer to Join the Grand Slam Club

Sebastien447
10-22-2004, 02:32 AM
The Case for Federer to Join the Grand Slam Club

By Luke Johnson, Tennis-X.com Editor

My esteemed colleague Richard Vach recently posted a story on this site proclaiming that Roger Federer will never win a calendar Grand Slam. Well, I’m here to make the argument that he can ...

http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2004-10-08/c.php

For the record, Roger told Charlie Rose during his post-USO interview that winning a Grand Slam is not one of his career goals. He feels there are a number of Spaniards and Argentinians who have a thing or two to say about that.

I think Roger will win the FO. The question I've got, is how many times?

Richard's correct. No calendar Slam for Fed, ever. If he does I'll eat my shorts and provide the pics.

Roger has had one of the top 10 best years of all time, possibly top 5 depending on how he finishes. So people are jumping on the Grand Slam bandwagon because of it. But there's no Slam in Fed's future. There's too much deapth in the ATP today. In every round of a Major, there are guys who are capable of taking him out if he's not focused (people tend to forget his result in Athens). And Roger still has a tendency to get spacy at times ... his only weakness.

Trust me ... my shorts are safe! :D

btw roads, you said you thought Fed would win the FO, but how bout the calendar Slam?

Sebastien447
10-22-2004, 04:18 AM
My point of contention with Luke, and others who share his opinion boils down to what he wrote right here:

"I think that there is a good chance that he will do it. Probably not next year, and maybe not even in 2006. But somewhere down the road the cards will fall right, the stars will align and he'll put together the season of his dreams."

That's it right there. I believe he just did put together the season of his dreams ... and I think Fed himself has said as much. People believe that he's going to continue to dominate, year after year, like he did this year. I don't agree.

Sebastien447
10-22-2004, 06:28 AM
Who will overtake him and when?

not what I'm saying ... what I am saying is that 70-6 is an incredibly special year on the ATP ... absolutely amazing! If he wins the YEC, it'll have to be considered top 5 of all time.

I expect Fed to remain #1 for a while, so I don't think any one player will be able to "overtake" him. But I just don't believe that he'll dominate again like he did this year.

Sebastien447
10-22-2004, 06:42 AM
Maybe what Seb means is that Roger won't continue to win 3 majors every year. I hope people won't start to say he's going down hill if he only wins 2 majors one year. LOL! Roger can continue to dominate even if he wins only one or two majors a year.

Exactly ... I expect he'll have Sampras-like numbers. Two slams in one year is an incredible year!

But I've heard people talkin like they expect three Majors, and 70-6 to happen on a regular basis. That's just not a realistic expectation.

We've witnessed one of the greatest years ever on the ATP this year ... maybe top 5! There are many who need to enjoy the specialness of Fed's year, instead of imposing these unrealistic expectations upon him for the future ... expectations that he cannot possibly live up to. I see it as uninformed bandwagoning, and quite unfair to Roger.

(not pointing fingers toward any TAT members ... mainly just talking about that Luke fellow and others like-minded)

Sebastien447
10-22-2004, 06:59 AM
SEB -- Keep posting the achievements Roger won't make because he keeps blowing your predictions. :o
And keep posting those predictions here. That way, I have more accomplishments to plan on seeing during his amazing career. :) I suspect going forward Roger will scale back his tournament schedule. He's reached the same/age Sampras did when he realized his rival was history. Instead of being 70-6 next year; it'll be more like 60-2. ;D

Well, I'll tell you one thing about my predictions that I do know for certain ... You WON'T be seeing me eat my underpants!

And what's with all the smileys roads ??? I didn't think you liked those little guys! Feeling fine on a Friday pm are ya?

Sebastien447
10-22-2004, 08:07 AM
Who is eating all their underpants? Actually, the smileys are pretty tacky aren't they? Probably only one of very few excursions in that direction on my part. Although, I must say that in cyberspace it's easy to confuse a poster's intent. The smileys, I've come to learn, sway the reader in the right direction if used properly.

It's a beautiful afternoon here in Southern California. 67 degrees with sunshine predicted for the weekend. That means tennis and lots of it. I have to say that close to 85% of the time I play, tennis puts me in a great mood. So yes, I'm feeling awfully chipper this Friday afternoon.

I've said, on more than one occassion, that if Fed wins the Grand Slam I'll eat my shorts, no condiments, and provide the pics.

And it's snowing here! I love it!

Try to enjoy the sun and tennis, if that's possible? Hey, does the end of your post mean that you win 85% of the time? ;D

Sebastien447
10-22-2004, 08:38 AM
The both of you are lucky! Its still 87 degrees or higher! BUt i think Federer can win a <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl2.asp?k=grand%20slam" onmouseover="window.status='grand slam'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">grand slam</a> doesnt mean he has that as a goal but its not that unlikely. The French will be tough with all of the claycourters out there. Coria, Guadio, Moya, Nadal even have tough clay court games that can possibly take down Federer.

Fed probably won't win the AO very often. It's the first Major of the year. The guys have had little time off, so they'll likely have not touched a racket much before the first tune-up. And if their conditioning isn't everything that it should be ... the inevitable intense heat exposes this liability and usually produces some rather interesting results.

Fed will win the FO once ... twice max.

Thus, if there is a year where Fed wins both the AO and FO (you do the math), the frenzy at Wimby will be rabid! Facing all those big serves ... he'll certainly cave under a heap of London tabloids.

But if he wins all three going into the USO ... talk about a firestorm! It'll be the talk of all sports. I actually hope it happens because it'll be one hell of a lot of fun!!!

Though, rest assured, my undies will be safe from digestion ... the pressure, heat, grind of what he's been through already, humidity, idiot media ... it'll all prove too much for him.

Sebastien447
10-23-2004, 12:56 AM
I am just curious what you do if Roger won 2 calendar grand slams in a row?

If he wins the AO and FO, I'll have to consider cleaning out that undie drawer :P

Sebastien447
10-23-2004, 01:04 AM
just so we're all on the same page here with this terminology ...

are people using "calendar slam" to mean a true Grand Slam? i.e. winning all four from Jan - Dec, AO through the USO ... because I am.

Roger has currently won two straight, so he is on course for a "calendar year" slam, as Serena accomplished with her "Serena slam"

Not trying to weasel out of anything here ... but I'm talking a true Grand Slam ... the traditional Slam. I don't think he'll get the calendar year slam either, but it's not as difficult and not deserving of short munching!

Betsmoyo
10-23-2004, 11:28 AM
I think Roger will win the FO. The question I've got, is how many times?

As much as i would love to see Roger win that i gotta root for Coria. The poor guy almost had it and got nervous cramps which began the end for him! It so close i wanted him to just pull it out but he couldn cause the damn leg cramps! Im rootin for Coria and of course as always Nadal t the FO

Betsmoyo
10-23-2004, 12:29 PM
He is very hot. He has a nice voice. He has such pretty eyes!

Sebastien447
10-24-2004, 12:31 AM
So Seb my question to you meant what would do if Roger won two grand slams in a row.....meaing all four majors in 2005 and all four in 2006? I am just curious. I know what I'd be doing.

Good Grief! That's what you meant?!!! Get real PJ ::)

But OK, I'll play along in fantasy land ... if Roger wins 2 Grand Slams in a row, I will teach my classes wearing nothing but a tutu and high heeled shoes, for an entire month.

Betsmoyo
10-24-2004, 05:46 AM
Hes just really hot! His hair his eyes lets just leave it at that...Hes HOT and Mirka is EXTREMELY lucky!