PDA

View Full Version : Update

Betsmoyo
10-24-2004, 07:33 AM
JC Ferrero-
Juan Carlos Ferrero will not play again until the Davis Cup final between Spain and the United States in December.

"I need 15 or 20 days to rest and the same amount of time to train," Ferrero was quoted as saying in Spanish newspapers on Thursday. "Hopefully I'll be at 100 percent by then. I need to adapt to my new racket."

ARod- STOCKHOLM -- World No. 2 Andy Roddick has withdrawn from next week's Stockholm Open because of a knee injury, the tournament said on its Web site on Thursday.
The 22-year-old American, who has already qualified for the end-of-season Masters Cup in Houston, pulled out of this week's Madrid Masters because of the injury.
Roddick will have his knee examined next week to decide if he will play the Paris Masters that begins on Nov. 1.

Lindsay- Back at No. 1, Lindsay Davenport is putting retirement on hold and plans to play in next year's Australian Open.

Davenport officially moved atop the WTA Tour computer rankings for the sixth time Monday and said she tentatively has worked out a 2005 schedule through March.

The three-time Grand Slam tournament champion said at Wimbledon that she thought this would be her final season. But a strong summer, including four straight titles and a 22-match winning streak, convinced Davenport, 28, that she can still contend.
"I was interested to hear that actually no player has retired at No. 1, but I don't think that's going to matter at all," Davenport said in a conference call from her hometown of Laguna Beach, Calif.
"I feel like I play for the opportunity and the chance to win Grand Slams. I had two chances this year at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. I'm looking forward to going to Australia and trying to win again, and that's definitely the way I'm headed right now."

Jelena Dokic-BELGRADE, Serbia-Montenegro -- Jelena Dokic is trying to revive her tennis career -- with the help of her father.
Dokic, once ranked No. 4 in the world in 2002, is now ranked 105th, but says she has reunited with her father, Damir, whom she recently accused of wrecking her career.
"I'm starting from scratch," Dokic, 21, told Belgrade's Sport daily. "I have two to three months to prepare before my next tournament."
Dokic, a former semifinalist at Wimbledon, had been estranged from her family after a brief relationship with Brazilian racing driver Enrique Benoldi and after she started training with Croatian coach Borna Bikic in 2003. Damir Dokic accused Bikic of "drugging" her.
Damir Dokic was his daughter's former coach and mentor. He moved the family from Australia to Serbia-Montenegro in 2001 after claiming organizers of the Australian Open had rigged the draw against his daughter. He's been in trouble with tennis authorities for a spate of volatile outbursts and has been kicked out of Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.
"Whatever happened, happened," Damir Dokic said. "Jelena had shown that she's a great player. She was in crisis. The time has come to correct that."

Sebastien447
10-24-2004, 11:20 PM
can't believe Dokic is getting back with her Father

that guy is one big alcoholic jackass ... I was at Wimbledon the year he was kicked out. The guy was complaining about everything, from the linespersons to the price of the strawberries. Then one afternoon he ended up stumbling through the streets, dead drunk and babbling incoherently. What a buffoon.

No, unless Damir has cleaned up, this might not be the best move for Jelena.

Sebastien447
10-25-2004, 12:14 AM
Why couldn't Jelena have gotten a professional coach and not gone back to her father? I don't like the sound of her going back to him.

Even if he says he's reformed ....that often doesn't last.

Dokic, like the WS, feels incredible loyalty toward their parents, as well they should ... after all, they owe their career to what their parents did for them.

I think it's up to the parent to cut the strings and tell their child, "you might be better off finding a pro coach."