PDA

View Full Version : Linz

Betsmoyo
10-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Flu Forces Myskina Out Of Linz

LINZ, Austria - World No.3 Anastasia Myskina, suffering from the flu, has been forced to withdraw from the $585,000 Generali Ladies Linz presented by Raiffeisenlandesbank Oberösterreich in Linz, Austria.
Myskina was due to be seeded No.2 behind Amelie Mauresmo, but the Roland Garros champion has been advised to rest.

"The flu symptoms, which bothered me at the Kremlin Cup and for which I was treated, continued to worsen," said Myskina in a statement Sunday. "I am required to spend a few days in bed with medication to recover fully. I looked forward to this tournament very much and I am disappointed not being able to participate.

"I want to express my sincere apologies to the tournament organizers, the sponsors and the fans. See you next year!"

Myskina's withdrawal has resulted in the following changes to the singles draw:

* No.3 seed Serena Williams moves to Myskina's spot at the bottom of the draw (Line 32);
* No.5 seed Nadia Petrova moves from Line 25 into Williams's original spot (Line 24);
* Elena Bovina is elevated to the No.9 seeding and moves from Line 29 to Petrova's original spot (Line 25)
* Bovina's original spot will be filled by a qualifier or lucky loser.

Myskina's next scheduled event is the season-ending WTA Tour Championships presented by Porsche, November 10-15, for which she has qualified in third place.

Betsmoyo
10-24-2004, 10:38 AM
My picks:
Sprem or Schnyder

Moose
10-26-2004, 02:46 AM
So far today, in Linz:
Nathalie Dechy (FRA) d. Iveta Benesova (CZE) 36 63 61
(Q) Julia Schruff (GER) d. Klara Koukalova (CZE) 64 63
(Q) Alina Jidkova (RUS) d. (Q) Vera Douchevina (RUS) 62 61
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) d. (LL) Lindsay Lee-Waters (USA) 26 62 63
Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) d. (8) Karolina Sprem (CRO) 75 46 61

Does Sprem just suck on indoor surfaces...for all the momentum she had going earlier this season, she seems to be playing lousy of late.
Alina Jidkova, the "near"Venus slayer, smacks Douchevina.
And Daniela continues to try to play her way back into form, though a three setter against Lee-Waters doesn't really speak well about your performance.

3mlm
10-26-2004, 03:28 AM
Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) d. (8) Karolina Sprem (CRO) 75 46 61

Does Sprem just suck on indoor surfaces...for all the momentum she had going earlier this season, she seems to be playing lousy of late.

She's 9-7 indoors this year.

On hardcourt (Hasselt, Filderstadt, Zurich and Linz) she was 1-4. On Greenset (Paris and Antwerp) she was 7-2. On carpet (Moscow) she was 1-1.

The WTA counts Greenset as carpet while tenniscorner.net counts it as hardcourt. Which means the WTA has Sprem as 8-3 on carpet and 14-13 on hardcourt while tenniscorner.net has her as 1-1 on carpet and 21-15 on hardcourt.

Considering she's 5-2 on grass and 7-5 on clay, I'd say Greenset is her best surface.

didgeridoo33
10-26-2004, 08:14 AM
Ugh, c'mon Sprem!! It looked like she was going to have a break through there early this year. She has been sucking is just about all the tourneys she's been entering! What's going on?! ???

Moose
10-26-2004, 11:03 AM
After she beat Venus i was REALLY excited but then this! C'mon!

Bets:
Are you quoting Lleyton? If so, it is more like this:

C"MON

Moose
10-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Serena might have ahad a headache (well,....) but Jidkova DEFINITELY has some big time game in her. She pulls this win off a week after pushing Venus to the max (double tie breakers). Jidkova is rising out of nowhere to really make a nice name for herself late in the season.

Glad to see Petrova win, like her, like her game.

Betsmoyo
10-27-2004, 12:09 PM
Listen Moose Serena can make all of the excuses she wants but when it comes down to it Serena has passed her prime. Nothing against her but she will never dominate like she did. Thats ok though. She may win more slams but no more Serena slams for her.

Betsmoyo
10-28-2004, 04:51 AM
Singles - Second Round
(4) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) d. Nathalie Dechy (FRA) 76(5) 64
Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) d. (Q) Julia Schruff (GER) 75 62
(1) Amelie Mauresmo (USA) d. (LL) Marta Domachowska (POL) 64 60
Jelena Jankovic (SCG) d. (WC) Barbara Schett (AUT) 63 61
(6) Ai Sugiyama (JPN) d. Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) 62 61
Woah! Ai! I thought that would be close but Daniela would pull through. I wanted Daneiela to win but I like Ai too. But that was a blowout man Ai just trashed her. Schetts out too! That sucks.

Sebastien447
10-29-2004, 08:35 AM
In the bottom half of the draw, a pair of Russians - Nadia Petrova and Elena Bovina - will face off. That match should be good but of course i wont see it thanks to ESPN and Directv not carrying The Tennis Channel.

Directv execs can lick my love pump!