PDA

View Full Version : Basel

Sebastien447
10-25-2004, 06:10 AM
Nadals first match is against Schuetler.

oooooooooo, that oughta be a good one

thanks for the link Bets!

3mlm
10-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Well Rafa proabably needs more time to get match tough. Looking at the draw Rafa's first hurdle is to get past Schuetler in round one. Then his second round wouldn't be so bad. In his third round he might face Nalbandian or Spadea. So he can't face both of those guys. If Nadal makes it to the 4th round he might face my Roger. Oh we will be at each other's throats then, right Bets?

I think the top half looks tougher than the bottom half.....don't you? But what does carpet play like and who would that favor?

Carpet favors players who like fast surfaces. Maybe not the best for Nadal. But not the best for Nalbandian either.

pepper
10-25-2004, 06:57 PM
Gonzalez reached the final a couple of years ago. There's also Ljubicic who is playing quite well right now, lost to Coria in the semis last year.

Nalbandian broke his toe during a match in Madrid, so not sure whether he will play. If he pulls out, he'll withdraw from Paris as well since he won't be able to make the TMC.

Henman has been taking magnesium tablets for a few days so should be feeling better, and his draw isn't too bad. He's won Basel twice, so obviously feels comfortable there, and needs a good showing to clinch a place for Houston. Federer doesn't need the points, but he's desperate for a home win, perhaps too desperate. He usually struggles in his first few matches, so I wouldn't be surprised if an in-form Horna pushes him today.

pepper
10-25-2004, 08:54 PM
If Nadal won in Basel, he would end up just outside the top 30, so might be in with a chance for a seeding at the Australian Open. But it depends how everyone else does this week, and in Paris of course.

Doll_Face
10-26-2004, 04:09 AM
Yes, Roger was injured!

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=1909655

MEANIE :P

Sebastien447
10-26-2004, 08:54 AM
Yes, Roger was injured!

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=1909655

I hope hes ok! I mean its good for Rafa but bad for Roger.

These end of the year "injuries" are absolutely nothing to worry about. These guys are in dire need of some rest, that's all. Just chalk it up to a sport stupid enough to run it's players into the ground with an eleven month season.

Think about it, Roger "tore" a thigh muscle, while warming up. LOL! uh, yah ... at least make it something believable like an ankle sprain.

MEANIE

Don't you know that PJ is President of three different Federer fan clubs, and owns a Roger Federer toothbrush? ;)

Sebastien447
10-26-2004, 09:11 AM
What do you mean Seb? Are you saying it wouldn't be likely he could tear a thigh muscle in practice?

I am just glad he's in Basel where his mother can take good care of him.

Hey, he could have ripped the thing to shreds for all I know.

I'm just saying not to worry because it sounds a lot like one of those "end of the year so as to get a little extra rest" injury stories.

3mlm
10-27-2004, 03:35 PM
Jerome, Roger's calendar handler told me that Roger wants us to root for his old friend Marco Chiudinelli against Shuettler tomorrow.
Go Marco!

Not much chance for Marco tomorrow. We'll see.

pepper
10-27-2004, 08:27 PM
I think Roger turned pro straight after he won junior Wimbledon in 1998, as he got a wildcard into the main draw in Gstaad. Bit of a shame that he had to miss the Champions' Ball in order to fly home to prepare.

He was 16 then, nearly 17. He still played juniors for the rest of the year as well though, because he lost to Nalbandian in the boys' singles final at the US Open. So he has been around on the main tour quite a long time.

It does feel like Nadal's been a pro for ages! He has had a breakthrough this year, winning in Sopot. If he hadn't been injured so much, I feel sure he would have done something during the spring clay season.

It's been a long time since any guy has won a Grand Slam as a teenager (Sampras was the last in 1990), but Rafa still has a couple of years to go. He'll come through in a big tournament soon enough.

pepper
10-27-2004, 08:29 PM
BTW I think Rafa didn't play doubles with Tommy in Basel because Robredo is injured. Apparently he already pulled out of his second round against Novak.

pepper
10-27-2004, 11:39 PM
I didn't know Sampras won the junior Grand Slam. Wow!

Oops, sorry, I wasn't clear on that. I meant "Grand Slam" as a single event, not the group of four. Sampras won the (pro level) US Open as a teenager. Edberg remains the only guy to have won the junior calendar year GS, of course. :)

Sebastien447
10-28-2004, 03:05 AM
Who won the USO junior boys then ... I take it not Monfils!

I can't believe I wasn't paying attention to that ... and I thought he was a lock for the junior Slam.

pepper
10-28-2004, 04:05 AM
Monfils lost in the quarters I think. It was UK's Andrew Murray who took the title. Poor lad will have the British press hounding his every move in the tennis world from now on!

Betsmoyo
10-28-2004, 04:57 AM
Nadal had a stress fracture in his foot and had to pull out of a lot of events. He wouldve won some of those clay tourenys had he been playing then. Nadal did have his breakthrough year this year. If he stays healthy then he'll do really well next year. He doesnt have many points to defend and hes dissappointed in how this year turned out so hes going to be fired up next year .

3mlm
10-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Hes also the youngest ATP player to win a title since Lleyton in 99 at Delray Beach. Lleyton was the same age (18)

And that was Lleyton's second title. His first was at Adelaide in 1998 where he beast Agassi in the semis when he was 7 weeks short of his 17th birthday.

3mlm
10-28-2004, 09:18 AM
Oh sorry! I got that off of Rafas site link to ATP Sopot tourney page. Either way Rafa is very talented and well on his way.

That comment was accurate, nothing to be sorry about.

Hewitt at Adelaide was the youngest tour winner (16 yrs., 10 mons.) since Chang in 1988 and lowest-ranked (550) winner in tour history.