PDA

View Full Version : The Great Fed v. The Grand Slam

Sebastien447
11-14-2004, 07:59 AM
just not possible with today's depth of competition and grind of the tour

Sebastien447
11-14-2004, 08:51 PM
04 was a special year for Fed. He's not going to dominate every year like he did this year. Many people don't understand this.

Also, I said depth and grind of the tour ... it's not so much the guys at the top, than the overall depth of the ATP that'll be the end of any man's chance to win a Grand Slam.

Sebastien447
11-16-2004, 05:07 AM
Never saw Laver play live in his prime, but I put him #1 because I've seen some tapes, read a lot, and yes, he did win the Grand Slam ... and I wouldn't agree with you about his competition being that much weaker than today. The Aussies were dominating tennis and he was playing vs. some of the greats of all time. You could make an argument that, at the top, men's tennis was even stronger back then. The depth was nothing like today though, and that's what will do in Fed. He probably won't lose many Finals next year, but he still has to make it to that last match. The road to a Major championship is frought with peril!

I do agree with ya though ... if anyone can do it today, Fed's the man (I just don't believe anyone can do it today ;) ) He has the best shot since Borg ... and Borg won the FO/Wimby combo about 5 times I think, and still couldn't follow with a victory at the USO.

Kirkus
11-16-2004, 06:48 AM
Of all the players out there right now, Rog certainly has the best shot at it. I just don't see it. Maybe I'm wrong... wouldn't break my heart if I was.

Sebastien447
11-16-2004, 07:21 AM
Maybe I'm wrong... wouldn't break my heart if I was.

Nor would it mine ... it would be exciting as hell!

Sure, I'd be forced to munch shorts ... but with all the fastfood that I've had in my life so far ... I'm SURE that I've had far worse already :P

3mlm
11-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Nor would it mine ... it would be exciting as hell!

Sure, I'd be forced to munch shorts ... but with all the fastfood that I've had in my life so far ... I'm SURE that I've had far worse already :P

I don't know about PJVA, but I'd let you forgo the shorts.