PDA

View Full Version : Arantxa, Serena, V, MoMo to play Hong Kong

Moose
12-01-2004, 04:48 AM
HONG KONG: Six-time Grand Slam winner Serena Williams has confirmed she will join sister Venus to complete an impressive line-up at an annual invitational tournament in Hong Kong next year, organisers said Monday. Williams was among four names yesterday confirmed for the sixth Watson’s Water Champions Challenge in January. The others were former world number one Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, French and US Open runner-up Elena Dementieva from Russia and 15-year-old rising Czech star Nicole Vaidisova. They will join reigning Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova, world number two Amelie Mauresmo, US Open winner Svetlana Kuznetsova and Venus Williams, who has four-time grand slam career titles. The eight players will meet in singles and doubles contests over the four-day event at the Victoria Park Tennis Stadium being held from January 5-8, 2005.

Call me a little stunned. Looks like a real high quality field for an exhibition tourney - the appearance fees must be huge to be drawing this type of entry field.
But I can;t figure out why Arantxa is in. I loved her, she remains my all-time favorite female player, but she has retired from singles, and played sporadic (and quite poor, result wise) doubles in 2004, mainly to warm up for one last Olympic entry. I hope her signing on to play here is only for exhibition purposes, she has no reason to attempt a comeback in 2005.

Sebastien447
12-01-2004, 06:59 AM
But I can;t figure out why Arantxa is in. I loved her, she remains my all-time favorite female player, but she has retired from singles, and played sporadic (and quite poor, result wise) doubles in 2004, mainly to warm up for one last Olympic entry. I hope her signing on to play here is only for exhibition purposes, she has no reason to attempt a comeback in 2005.

Maybe she needs the cash ;)

How old is she anyway?

Moose
12-01-2004, 10:12 AM
ASV's 33 this month, Sebs.
Doubt it is a cash thing. She won millions on the Tour, is a huge national hero in Spain, and had endorsement deals thorughout Europe out the wazoo in her time. Know she does some work at Emelio's acamademy - she was working with Dokic there earlier this year, and has worked with a few others.

Sebastien447
12-01-2004, 10:25 AM
true true, though I don't know ... it's amazing how rich people feel the need for more money