PDA

View Full Version : "Swinger Of The Year"

Moose
12-10-2004, 08:16 AM
This month's (January 2005 issue) Vanity Fair has the Headliners of 2004 photo essay. Some great shots, some people you would expect (Karl Rove, Ken Jennings (the Jeopardy guy), Michael Phelps.

The "Swinger of the Year" for 2004 is Fed Ex. One of only 3 athletes in the entire year end photo section.

Tried to get a link to the photo from their web site but it isn't up yet. Black and white full page photo, a bare chested grinning Roger. PJVA, I think you will definitely like the photograph!

Sebastien447
12-10-2004, 08:27 AM
It's nice that Roger is getting some notice.

LOL!

Thanks a lot PJ, you made me spit my drink up!

Kirkus
12-10-2004, 08:29 AM
LOL!

Thanks a lot PJ, you made me spit my drink up!

LOL, sebers.
You actually risk drinking a beverage while in TAT?

Sebastien447
12-10-2004, 08:34 AM
LOL, sebers.
You actually risk drinking a beverage while in TAT?

The Friday night beverage is essential today, Finals next week and everyone is losing their minds! ::)

3mlm
12-10-2004, 10:59 AM
But I really don't think he's getting much notice in the US.....not compared to the attention they give for other sports.

What did you expect?

Sampras never really got that much notice in the US "compared to the attention they give for other sports" and he was a US guy, was #1 for 6 years and won more GS than any other guy. Federer is a Swiss guy who's had one terrific season.

Not exactly Michael Jordan.

Sebastien447
12-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Hes probably HUGE in Switzerland.

He's gotta be! What else do Swiss sports fans have to root for? 8)

Moose
12-10-2004, 09:53 PM
I doubt Federer would ever be "huge" in America. We treat tennis as a 2nd tier sport, and it takes talent "plus" for a tennis player to break through. Agassi got the notice, the press and the endorsements because of a huge "pizazz" factor, same as Serena. Chrissie Evert got it because she was attractive and a "sweetheart" (at least how the press played it out). McEnroe got it because of his voluability.

I remember Lendl having some endorsement deals here. But I think it would be real hard in this market, and with tennis's popularity in a down trend at the moment, for Federer to be embraced by Americans at large.

But it is nice, for his (and the sports) sake to get press like the Vanity Fair play.

Sebastien447
12-11-2004, 02:07 AM
Ive been a nutcase locked in my room every night from 8-9.30 studying!

From 8:00, ALL THE WAY to 9:30?!!!! Whew! What a grueling schedule!

Don't overdo it there Bets! :P

Sebastien447
12-11-2004, 04:20 AM
Ive got to get a 95 or higher on all my exams which i found out last week is 3. So i gotta study. It'll be worth it when i get my racket! Next week is it! After that WINTER BREAK!!!!!!!

I hear ya Bets. Next week is going to be tough (for teachers as well, I'm creating my evil exams at this very moment). And I am sooooooo ready for the break!

Good luck with exams. I hope your teachers don't create diabolical finals like I do! ;)