PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Smell of Success

Sebastien447
09-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Maria Sharapova's Wimbledon title helped her land an endorsement deal for a perfume that will bear her name. Parlux Fragrances Inc. expects to launch Sharapova's perfume before the end of next year. The impending deal was revealed Sept. 1 by ESPN.com's Darren Rovell.

"This is a great opportunity for me to do something creative and fun," Sharapova said in a statement. "I love the world of fashion, and I'm looking forward to experiencing it firsthand."

She agreed to a three-year contract worth nearly $5 million, an industry source told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Monday.

The deal is the second one Sharapova has landed since becoming the third-youngest champion in Wimbledon's 127 years by upsetting Serena Williams in the final at the All England Club in July.

The 17-year-old Russian earlier agreed to a three-year contract with Motorola worth between $4 million and $5 million.

Sharapova is ninth in the WTA Tour rankings this week.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 mil ??? Do they really expect to sell that much of the stuff? Just goes to show what winning Wimby can do for a little girl.

Sebastien447
09-21-2004, 09:36 AM
im not sure that will do so well. This isnt becuase i dont like her. its just that i think someone oughta have a little more sucess to their name. shes not the best russian out there and she hasnt done to well since wimby. BTW that sounds like shes pulling a Serena.

yeah, these marketing geniuses believe you can slap Maria's name onto a bottle of liquid crap and people are going to instantaneously want a bottle of the stink ... sad part is they're probably right.

as for "pulling a Serena" ... more power to these athletes. If somebody wants to pay them for their name, why shouldn't cash in?

If somebody wanted to pay me for my name, or even to twiddle my toes upsidedown wearing a tutu, or even to to ride a camel through Pallestine while naked and painted red, carrying a large sign saying "ALLAH IS A PIG" ...

I think I could be had for 5 mil.

Sebastien447
09-21-2004, 10:07 AM
really you would do that for only 5mil... Come one Sebs ask for more! ;D Considering your probly gonna get shot or something at least ask for 50 mil or more. ;)

well, I'd have to be paid in advance so as to fund my bullet proof, rocket-launching, nuclear powered camel! :D

Kirkus
09-21-2004, 12:55 PM
yeah, these marketing geniuses believe you can slap Maria's name onto a bottle of liquid crap and people are going to instantaneously want a bottle of the stink ... sad part is they're probably right.

as for "pulling a Serena" ... more power to these athletes. If somebody wants to pay them for their name, why shouldn't cash in?

If somebody wanted to pay me for my name, or even to twiddle my toes upsidedown wearing a tutu, or even to to ride a camel through Pallestine while naked and painted red, carrying a large sign saying "ALLAH IS A PIG" ...

I think I could be had for 5 mil.

I'll give ya a quarter to twiddle your toes upside down wearing a tutu. Ah hell... I just wanna see ya in a tutu. :-*

Sebastien447
09-22-2004, 02:46 AM
Ah hell... I just wanna see ya in a tutu.

I'll bet ya do fella ... further motivation to get that member's page up, eh big boy! :-*

Sebastien447
09-28-2004, 08:38 AM
I'm fully back into tennis, but to be honest ... after the USO, I really don't give a hoot, other than maybe the YEC and Davis Cup.

Even a fan needs some time off! I wish they'd play the YEC in September and just give everyone a small break ... the season would STILL be 9 months long!

Right now is FOOTBALL season for crying out loud!

Nothing against you for presenting results like that Bets ... I actually appreciate it because otherwise I wouldn't make the effort to be informed. :)

Sebastien447
12-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Just wait until her 05 season doesnt even come close to this one. SHe wont live up to her hype next year. I highly doubt she'll defend Wimby or YEC.

Ahhh Bets, that Masha hatin is going to drive you bonkers! I think she may end up having an up and down type career, but she's got the goods Bets. There are definitely more Major titles in her future.

Sebastien447
12-12-2004, 01:57 AM
Let me get this straight ... you don't think Masha is pretty do you Bets! :P

Actually, it will be interesting to see how all the distractions and money come into play with her game. I think other players have an advantage in that regard, as they're able to focus on their tennis. Masha has already made more money than she could ever spend and she's got the press constantly hounding her.