PDA

View Full Version : My Mixed Doubles Tournament!

Richard_Swales
12-12-2004, 06:07 AM
Crikey!

6 days to go before my mixed doubles tournament! I don't think I can train harder than I am right now, and my partner is serving like a pro!

It's going to be a 1 set Round Robin, then the top two teams from both sections advance to the semifinal.

Have to say - I'm really looking forward to it!!

Starts on Saturday 18th December at 4:15pm UK time

Sebastien447
12-12-2004, 06:24 AM
Good Luck Rich!!!

How's that kick serve coming?

Richard_Swales
12-12-2004, 06:28 AM
I memorised what you told me, tried it this morning - when nobody was about - and launched the poor ball way over the fence! However, I now know what I'm supposed to do, so practice makes perfect I guess!!

Richard_Swales
12-12-2004, 06:42 AM
Thanks very much! I'll make sure there's a camera there with me, get some action shots taken!

Sebastien447
12-12-2004, 06:45 AM
I memorised what you told me, tried it this morning - when nobody was about - and launched the poor ball way over the fence! However, I now know what I'm supposed to do, so practice makes perfect I guess!!

As a kid, I got up before school every day to practice serves (couldn't find anybody willing to get up that early to hit). So grab a hopper and get out there, it's the one shot you can practice by yourself.

And it's worth the effort, so keep at it. Try to feel the top, even if they're all going into the net, just feel the topspin. Then you can work on getting them in and the beauty of the shot is that the spin brings the ball down, so the more top you're getting, the easier it becomes to keep the ball in the service box.

Once you get a good kicking second serve you're going to tear up the doubles scene Richard!

Not that you aren't already ... just moreso ;)

Richard_Swales
12-13-2004, 08:04 AM
There - pressed my favourite Ellesse tennis kit today, looks good too!

Practicing the serve tomorrow - particularly the kicker, so I'll let you know how it goes!

This is all SO exciting!

Sebastien447
12-13-2004, 08:36 AM
just one thing ... you might want to put the development of a new serve on hold so close to the start of a tournament ...

depends upon how it's coming ... you getting them in at all?

Doll_Face
12-13-2004, 11:39 AM
Go Richard Go!

Please keep us informed, and best of luck to your team! Over the fence? :D Keep practicing ... it'll come!

Richard_Swales
12-14-2004, 04:33 AM
Hehe - the kick serve is sort of kicking up a bit, but yes, you're right, best put it away until after Christmas!

I certainly will keep you guys informed of how I do, and I really do appreciate your support - just wish I could fly you all over to sit in the stands and cheer me on!!

Doll_Face
12-14-2004, 11:52 AM
WE are with you Richard! :) Kick butt!

Richard_Swales
12-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Right then, I'm off, my lift is coming in a few minutes, I'm so excited and nervous as well, and I'll report back to you as soon as I'm home!

Bye for now - and thanks so much for your support!

Sebastien447
12-17-2004, 11:02 PM
May your volleys be solid ...

and your returns dancing upon opponents' shoestrings!

Richard_Swales
12-18-2004, 05:34 AM
I'm back!

Let's just say it's not the winning, but the taking part that counts, we had a great time, made some new friends, but when it counted, we couldn't quite produce our best tennis. We finished 4th in our group, which means we didn't qualify for the semifinal.

I'll tell you more after I've had a good soak in the bath!

Sebastien447
12-18-2004, 05:48 AM
Sounds like you accomplished the important things! :)

Aside from that kick serve, what else do you think you need to work on?

Sebastien447
12-19-2004, 05:33 AM
I'll tell you more after I've had a good soak in the bath!

I hope Richard didn't DROWN! :P

Richard_Swales
12-19-2004, 06:30 AM
I think more than anything, I need to be a bit more consistant, and not fold under the pressure of playing a tournament. I think we've all done this; you go on a practice court and feel like you could be a grand slam winner, yet in a situation where every point counts, it just doesn't come off. There were times when I was so embarassed at missing the most simple of shots. We have decided to play another tournament, that'll be on 2nd April 2005 - same format as before.

Think I'm hanging my rackets up for the remainder of 2004, need my body to repair itself, then go tackle the 2005 season with as much venom as a fast-approaching 40 year old can!