PDA

View Full Version : Roddick smokes Gilbert

tennis4you
12-12-2004, 12:41 AM
I bet both parties are hot on the list, to be coached and to want as a coach.

Should be interesting who they each pick.

I would say Roddick has peaked with Gilbert, or so it seems right now. Probably a good split for him.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11669858%5E3162,00.html

tennis4you
12-12-2004, 01:29 AM
I do not know about Courier. He is competing on the seniors tour now, won a tournament again Muster yesterday in the finals. Beat McEnroe in the semis.

Sebastien447
12-12-2004, 01:49 AM
I can't believe Roddick and Gilbert have split!

If it was Roddick's choice, I think it's a bad one.

didgeridoo33
12-12-2004, 03:36 AM
WHAT!? I'm shocked! Totally shocked! :o

!!!

tennis4you
12-12-2004, 06:22 AM
It is a tough call. Roddick made leaps and bounds at first and then tapered off and leveld out. He has a worse year than the previous year, but some of that has to be credited to Federer. Might be nice to see what a new coach could do for Roddick.

Sebastien447
12-12-2004, 06:34 AM
I always liked Gilbert's coaching efforts for their opponent specific tactics. But I really didn't notice as much of that type of play with Roddick as was apparent with Agassi. Andy was coming in more and his volley was improving, but other than that ... big serve, big forehand, same old Roddick.

Maybe there just isn't enough variety in Andy's game for him to employ the type of strategy that Gilbert wants.

Just some wild speculation, but as PJ mentioned ... kind of frustrating not to have an explanation.

??? <<<------- leaves us all sittin around lookin like this guy!

tennis4you
12-12-2004, 06:37 AM
I did just read thet Gilbert was "stunned" by the decision... :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

didgeridoo33
12-12-2004, 06:45 AM
I did just read thet Gilbert was "stunned" by the decision...

Hey, T4Y! Where did you read this? Is thre another site somewhere?

tennis4you
12-12-2004, 08:09 AM
Here is the link to where I read those 2 articles. :)

http://www.tennisnews.com/index.php

Moose
12-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Courier and Roddick - NO WAY!
Their style of play is completely opposite, and I don't see this as beneficial to either.

Courier would be an ideal coach for Robby Ginepri. Think it is just what it would take to get Robby over the hump.

And Cahill would be a much better coach for Roddick.

I wonder if the firing had anything to do with Gilbert's book? Heard that Agassi was not happy with the book, and I doubt Roddick would have been either. Gilbert grabbed up a little too much credit for himself, methinks.

baseliner
12-12-2004, 10:49 AM
::)If it's true and they split, I hardly think it would be over a book, besides, both Andy and Andre wrote forwards for the book and both were capable of doing otherwise, so knix that argument.

Andy learned a lot from Brad, he was spiraling downward fast before Gilbert came along...let's not forget that Andy fans.

It's not a fluke he got two players to max their level of play, I'm hoping Brad brings up another young and up and comer and that Andy and Brad both do well in 2005 or tennis will be just another boring year.

My guess is it's just another "hot head" temper tantrum like Roddick likes to throw.

I hope Gilbert takes on a young player, maybe Nedal....or hey, what's happening with Serena lately?
Come on Brad!

Sebastien447
12-12-2004, 11:13 AM
he was spiraling downward fast before Gilbert came along...let's not forget that Andy fans.

welcome to TAT baseliner, WOW what a post ... why don't we start here ...how was Andy "spiraling?"

baseliner
12-12-2004, 11:28 AM
I guess you missed the French Open.

Sebastien447
12-12-2004, 11:35 AM
I guess you missed the French Open.

nope, was there in Paris for that one

Andy doesn't cut it on clay, probably never will

So, AGAIN, what's this "downward spiral" business of which you speak?

tennis4you
12-12-2004, 11:43 AM
I will add that Roddick's 2004 has been less than desirable compared to 2003, but some of that has to be credited to Federer.

baseliner
12-12-2004, 11:48 AM
The point is, he learned a lot, I hope he keeps that information and grows from there.

I'm more curious to see who calls Gilbert next. It was always interesting to watch Agassi and Roddick based on Gilbert's influence, maybe he can add one more to the top rankings. There's more talent out there that could step up with some good coaching.

It would be amazing if he took another player to No. 1.
We need some interesting competitors out there.
:D

baseliner
12-13-2004, 01:05 AM
Oh yeah, Tatiana Golovin, she trained at Bolletieri's. (spelling?)

I want to see Brad with Serena...I miss her out there...plus he's always said + things about her. How about Safin, now we're talking but Lundgren is great too.

didgeridoo33
12-13-2004, 04:03 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=1945289

^ another link about Andy and Brad. Not much new though. BTW, I LOVE that pic of Andy there! What a sexy body! ;D

Kirkus
12-13-2004, 04:46 AM
That's what I get for spending too much time in the wood-pile and not more in TAT. I'm really surprised by the split.

I have to wonder how much of Roddick's "spiral" is credited to him rather than Brad.

When they first got together Andy's attitude on court was noticably less explosive... he concentrated better. Recently, however, I've noticed Roddick reverting back to his tirades and lack of concentration which seem to result in less than stellar play.

Sebastien447
12-13-2004, 07:17 AM
"While I believe that there is still a great deal of work to be done, Andy clearly does not feel that way."

Wow! What a revealing quote ... definitely some biterness there I'd say.

When a player isn't doing well, it's always the coach's fault!

I'm not sure that would be the popular sentiment in this case. Brad is the tennis guru who just couldn't get the punk Roddick to listen.

I don't think Andy has the game to employ Gilbert tactics. He doesn't have the necessary patience, and just assumes go with his bread and butter ... big serve, big forehand. Other than coming in a little more, I didn't notice that much change in Andy's tactics. Like kirkus said, he did have improved focus ... that seems to be the most significant improvement that can be attributed to Gilbert. I think there are many other players who could make better use of Brad's expertise.

Kirkus
12-13-2004, 08:16 AM

I'm not sure that would be the popular sentiment in this case. Brad is the tennis guru who just couldn't get the punk Roddick to listen.

I don't think Andy has the game to employ Gilbert tactics. He doesn't have the necessary patience, and just assumes go with his bread and butter ... big serve, big forehand. Other than coming in a little more, I didn't notice that much change in Andy's tactics. Like kirkus said, he did have improved focus ... that seems to be the most significant improvement that can be attributed to Gilbert. I think there are many other players who could make better use of Brad's expertise.

Except for the "punk" comment (I'm not sure why you'd call him a punk), I agree with Seb. How interesting would it be if Roger hired Brad? Although I'm not sure what Brad could improve on.

I do think after seeing the last 18 months that Brad's talents as a coach may have been wasted on Andy.

Sebastien447
12-13-2004, 08:28 AM
I'm not sure why you'd call him a punk

Kirkus, you said ...

I've noticed Roddick reverting back to his tirades and lack of concentration

And I agree, he's been acting jerky ... like a "punk" kid.

Kirkus
12-13-2004, 08:38 AM
Punk n. Slang.
a. A young person, especially a member of a rebellious counterculture group.
b. An inexperienced young man.
(courtesy of Dictionary.com)

Are you crabby? You seem a little crabby.

Sebastien447
12-13-2004, 08:46 AM
Are you crabby? You seem a little crabby.

um, no, NOT CRABBY! And if you ask me again about that I punch your lights out! :P

and didn't you just give the definition of Andy Punkboy Roddick?

Kirkus
12-13-2004, 08:55 AM
um, no, NOT CRABBY! And if you ask me again about that I punch your lights out! :P

and didn't you just give the definition of Andy Punkboy Roddick?
I suppose I did. What's your point? :P

LOL

Kirkus
12-13-2004, 09:09 AM
When Brad first came on board, it looked to me like Andy was "at work" when he was on court. Like this was his job and he was here to get it done... which at first he did. He also stopped wearing visors and switched to hats (what that has to do with anything I don't know).

They both seem like very aggressive personalities. Just an observation.

I'll be surprised if Roddick keeps it together and finishes in the top 10 next year without Gilbert.

Sebastien447
12-13-2004, 09:20 AM
I'll be surprised if Roddick keeps it together and finishes in the top 10 next year without Gilbert.

YIKES!

I can't wait to see your top 10 predictions for the guys!

baseliner
12-13-2004, 11:55 AM

Nah, not bitterness, more like the real thing...Gilbert tells it like it is...I call it refreshing.

3mlm
12-13-2004, 12:46 PM
Let's just say I'm not going to be shocked when Darren Cahill dumps Agassi for Roddick.

How exciting can it be to coach a tennis legend who's only 5 years younger than you and about to retire after bringing a teenager to slam victories and #1 for two years running before being fired for no reason.

Sure, he could take on Federer, but Roddick is more of a challenge.

3mlm
12-13-2004, 01:03 PM
I don't think Cahill would dump Agassi for Roddick if he didn't dump him for Federer. Why hold out for a bigger challenge and more aggrevation?

Actually I think every player has some challenge to him if there are areas he wants to improve. For example Federer wants to improve his volleys and it would be very challenging for him to win the French Open, or even stay #1 for a few years. I think there are always challenges on the horizon for everyone.

I think Cahill is loyal to Agassi, and he would be waiting for Agassi to say he doesn't need him any more.

And that's exactly where we may be. Agassi is a big fan of Roddick and he wants US players to succeed. I think Agassi would be much likelier to let Cahill go to coach Roddick than Federer.

3mlm
12-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Although it's not up to Agassi who Cahill would then go to work for. So Agassi could sacrifice and give up Cahill .....but then Cahill would be a free agent.

Then it would be more a matter of who Cahill thinks he would enjoy working with personality wise, etc. I am not saying he would pick Federer.....I don't know Cahill, except for his outward appearances.

Hey, I'm just making wild speculations. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if next week we see an announcement that Cahill is Roddick's new coach.

I doubt Roddick fired Gilbert before he lined up someone else.

And I'm sure Roddick didn't want to see that Cahill was going to be Federer's coach.

Sebastien447
12-13-2004, 11:57 PM
I've never even heard Connors or JMac hint at being interested in coaching.

Sebastien447
12-14-2004, 12:36 AM
I don't think P Mac would have the time with his DC duties and commentating ...

Maybe Rod wants to try flying solo for a while ... hey, it works for some players.

baseliner
12-14-2004, 12:45 AM
News Flash, you guys can put all the superstar coaches back in the closet...heard it through some FLA people that Andy is replacing Gilbert with Dean Goldfine.

Sebastien447
12-14-2004, 01:01 AM
News Flash, you guys can put all the superstar coaches back in the closet...heard it through some FLA people that Andy is replacing Gilbert with Dean Goldfine.

hmmmm, maybe some yoga could help Andy!

Sebastien447
12-14-2004, 06:59 AM
looks like the baseliner speaks the truth

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/tennis/12/14/roddick.coach.ap/

still not official ... but looks like this was the plan all along.

didgeridoo33
12-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Dean Goldfine.

^ Who is this??

Sebastien447
12-15-2004, 04:59 AM
Dean Goldfine is Martin's ex coach ... this sounds like it has been in the works for a while.

didgeridoo33
12-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Eehhh... sounds like it was a bad move for Andy. For some reason, I acutally hope he has a bad year next year and plummets in the rankings. It'd be a good slap in the ass to him. But if has a good year, that'd be welcomed too :)

I love you Andy!!

Thanks, PJ! :)

Sebastien447
12-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Yeah, thanks PJ ... good stuff.

Definitely a bad move for Andy ... I've got him slipping a bit in the rankings on the Top 10 contest.

I'd love to see Dent and Gilbert working together!

didgeridoo33
12-19-2004, 05:57 AM
It will be interesting to see what Andy looks and plays like next.

It sure will. I'd like to see Tati and Brad though. I wonder how that would turn out. I like Golovin, and I hope she does very well.

didgeridoo33
12-19-2004, 06:58 AM
Yea Bets that's true. Well, we'll just have to see. I wish Andy the best of luck though.

Sebastien447
12-19-2004, 07:02 AM
I like Tati too. Shes good.

I dont think it was that bad a choice for andy and brad to split. If they werent getting along and andys dad didnt like him then chances are his play would reflect that. His ranking will suffer but if the coach and the player dont get along then how can the player benefit?

I was seeing the split as bad from the "Andy doesn't have time to work on his tennis because he's busy with 'other things'" perspective. Brad could have given Andy a chance to challenge Fed. But it's becoming clear that Roddick may be lovin the limelight a little too much.

3mlm
12-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Here's an article with a different perspective with lots of quotes from Bets' favorite, Pat McEnroe.

http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=11902&bannerregi on=

Kirkus
12-23-2004, 09:01 AM
The 22-year-old Roddick has also matured to the point where he wants to be in charge of his on-court play. "Andy wants to call his own shots," the source said.

Great! That's all we need, Didge. That means we'll be defending Andy's on-court antics again. I'd hoped that was over.

It don't matter who his coach is or where he's ranked... Andy's still my guy!!!

KICK HIS ASS ANDY!

Sebastien447
12-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Merry Christmas to Didge!

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/xmas/for_didge.jpg
*Kirkus' Workshop*

You make TAT better didge! YOU rock!!!

didgeridoo33
12-23-2004, 11:59 PM
Awwww!!! ;D :)

Thank you so much guys!! I love you all!!

I enjoy coming on here and talking to you all, that's why I always come back! I love this site! :)

Thanks!! Merry Christmas, Kirk and Sebs! :-*

Sebastien447
12-29-2004, 05:45 AM
Here's what Mats said about the Roddick-Gilbert pairing running it's course ...

Andy Roddick, he's gotten a lot of help from Brad Gilbert, but at the same time, I'm not sure he's doing anything for him anymore. What he taught Roddick didn't take too long -- it's just that somebody told him...I'm not sure he's developing his game anymore. I think he's just keeping him interested in fighting and winning tennis matches.