PDA

View Full Version : Peter's Day 9 Pick

PeterSkan
05-30-2005, 09:51 AM
8 players left, and only 2 that I cannot use - and they're squaring off against each other [Petrova - Ivanovic].

Let's start with the Turtle and Big Mary - ahh that's not nice: Lindsay and Pierce. My gut feeling says Dav, but Mary's won here before, and she's already surprised this year. Best to leave this one alone.

Justine and Maria - many will tout this as the real final. Too close to call.

That leaves Likhovtseva and the kid. I said before that a Likhovsteva upset in the previous round would pave the way for my next pick, and I'm gonna stick with that. I remember watching Likhovsteva against Myskina last year at the Canadian Open and commenting on the contrast - the awkward workhorse against the lithe star. Even if Myskina needs braces, who do you think the cameras were pointed at?

Maybe the 15-year old kid is the next Hingis [I thought they had new rules against this sort of thing], and that makes for a nice fairy tale, I guess. But Elena has a better Winner to UFE ratio to go with her experience. My only worry is that she's played lots and lots of tennis so far, and may be burnt out.

My Day 9 pick is Likhovtseva.

Moose
05-30-2005, 10:10 AM
glad you got it posted Peter, and accept my apologies for not getting a thread started for you. Holiday here in the States, we had the big family barbeque that just ended.

Good luck...you are only 3 correct picks away from being the 1st person to complete a Suicide Pool.

PeterSkan
05-31-2005, 12:10 AM
With Likhovsteva winning, I will only have two eligible picks to choose from, since Petrova is a previous pick. My next pick will in fact be a triple prediction. In angling to surive the Championship, I have to reason that my two ineligible picks [Likhovtseva and Petrova] will both lose their semi-finals, and that my semi-final pick will lose the final.

Henin's thumping of Sharapova clears things up considerably and narrows my options.

The only realistic path to survival is to pick the winner of Big Mary/Davenport over Likhovtseva in the semi, and Henin [presuming a victory over Petrova in the other semi] over the top half survivor in the final.

Any other scenario is, well, suicide.

Sebastien447
05-31-2005, 12:54 AM
With Likhovsteva winning, I will only have two eligible picks to choose from, since Petrova is a previous pick. My next pick will in fact be a triple prediction. In angling to surive the Championship, I have to reason that my two ineligible picks [Likhovtseva and Petrova] will both lose their semi-finals, and that my semi-final pick will lose the final.

Henin's thumping of Sharapova clears things up considerably and narrows my options.

The only realistic path to survival is to pick the winner of Big Mary/Davenport over Likhovtseva in the semi, and Henin [presuming a victory over Petrova in the other semi] over the top half survivor in the final.

Any other scenario is, well, suicide.

You got it Peter!

What does he win if he goes all the way. Is there a making it all the way prize?

Moose
05-31-2005, 03:31 AM
Peter:
You summed up the game quite well. The semi final is always a double pick, because you have locked in to the champion as well by making the semi selection.
And given that you have burned off both Petrova and Likhovsteva, we know that your last picks in the game are Mary Pierce and Justine Henin-Hardene. The question is, in what order?

Moose
05-31-2005, 05:47 AM
Peter, Day 10 is another free day for you, there are no womens matches on tap - this gives you an extra day to figure out who is the winner of the tournament.