PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Prediction contest rules

James7
12-22-2019, 01:09 PM
This contest is closed to new participants. If you participated in the previous years or SIGNED UP before or on January 3rd, 2020 you are eligible to participate in the 2020 TAT Prediction Contest. If you did not, we regret to inform you that, we are unable to accept new entrants. ]Please sign up in reply below if interested.

However, all other TAT contests are open to any registered member, so we urge you to take part in those events, starting with TAT's "A Month in the Sun" fantasy tennis contest.

The Prediction Contest has three main categories: ATP, WTA and Bonus. The bonus category includes: predicting the Doubles Winners at the Slams and at the year-end events for the ATP and WTA. At the end of the year, medals will be awarded to the top three finishers in the ATP and WTA categories, one medal will be awarded to the winner of the bonus category, and three medals will be awarded for the top three finishers in the combined ATP, WTA and Bonus scores. You will be able to track your status in each category and in the YTD when the scores are posted each week.

Davis Cup and Fed Cup will be excluded.

When the 2020 Prediction Contest Begins:
The year starts with tournaments from Doha for the ATP while the WTA will begin in Auckland, Brisbane and Shenzhen (check corresponding thread for exact deadline)

*For those who are new: the year is divided in weeks. Each week a thread will be posted in this forum with the links to the brackets FOR ALL the tournaments played during that week.

This does not mean that all tournaments' predictions are due at the same time. Each one has its own deadline which will be clarified in the same thread. Make sure to check back regularly as to not miss them.

2020 Prediction Scoring Structure:
-The core scoring structure will remain the same: 1 point for each correct QFist, 2 points for each correct SFist, 3 points for each correct finalist, and 4 points for each correct tournament winner (with points doubled for the four major events).

-Any participant who predicts a tournament perfectly will receive 10 bonus points. These bonus points will be awarded to the bonus category. Points for a perfect tournament will not be doubled for a major event.

Special Situations:
- Occasionally all R-32 matches may not have been concluded before the deadline. In such situation you will have to post your predictions all the same but will have a dropdown menu in the corresponding slot in the bracket from which to choose the player you think will win the unfinished R-32 match.

- Deadlines may change due to unforeseen circumstance. Generally the rule of thumb is that the deadline is start of play for the day in which more than 2 R16 matches will be played. It’s up to participants to be aware of this as the runners of the tournament are human and fallible. We try to update as well as we are able.

- Freebies: this is the opposite situation. Some R-16 matches will have been played before the deadline giving you a FREE quarterfinalist which will not exceed 2 per tournament.

Trip to London Contest
- There will be a total of 13 ATP tournaments that will make up that portion of the contest and the top 8 finishers of those tournaments will participate in a separate contest for medals. All participants, who are not in the top 8 of those tournaments, should continue to make predictions in that week. Tournaments consist of all 4 Slams, Indian Wells, Miami, Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome, Toronto, Cincinnati, Shanghai and Paris.

Trip to Shenzhen Contest
- There will be a total of 13 WTA tournaments that will make up that portion of the contest and the top 8 finishers of those tournaments will participate in a separate contest for medals. All participants, who are not in the top 8 of those tournaments, should continue to make predictions in that week. Tournaments consist of all 4 Slams, Doha, Indian Wells, Miami, Madrid, Rome, Montreal, Cincinnati, Wuhan and Beijing.

James7
12-23-2019, 08:04 AM
I'm told Fed cup changed formats as well. That's a shame.

Please post in the thread here if you are interested in participating as a new contestant next year.

bestjax
12-26-2019, 04:01 AM
As mentioned in private message also, I like to participate for 2020. Thanks so much

PeterSkan
12-26-2019, 11:00 PM
Do we know yet when the very first deadline will be?

3mlm
12-27-2019, 01:43 PM

The first tournament (assuming we won't be predicting the ATP Cup) is the WTA tournament in Shenzhen China which, according to the WTA site, starts on 1/4 which will probably be on 1/3 in the US.

Martini4me
01-01-2020, 08:37 PM
When the 2020 Prediction Contest Begins:
The year starts with tournaments from Brisbane, Doha and Pune for the ATP while the WTA will begin in Auckland, Brisbane and Shenzhen (check corresponding thread for exact deadline)

I'm assuming this was copied, and not corrected, from last year? There's no Pune (or Chennai) this year, and Brisbane is part of ATP Cup.

ptmcmahon
01-02-2020, 05:34 AM
Must have been. Looks like next week we have ATP Doha and WTA Shenzhen, Brisbane, and Auckland.

James7
01-02-2020, 06:14 AM
You can't seriously expect me to rewrite the giant text block of mostly boilerplate from scratch every year, can you? ;)

I caught a couple changes, but not everything. :D

ptmcmahon
01-02-2020, 06:23 AM
My favorite copy/paste is when I see the original comment about how the purpose of our trades in our contests is just to get rid of "seriously underperforming expectations" players. :)

James7
01-03-2020, 12:14 PM
Contest entry deadline hits after today. Just in case anyone else was interested.

ptmcmahon
01-04-2020, 11:40 PM

Right now looks like there will be some pre-Tuesday deadlines... which could be Monday Night in North America... so less than 48 hours away now!