PDA

View Full Version : Predictions : Shenzhen

patrick
10-25-2019, 07:18 PM
Shenzhen gave us very little time between finalizing their participants/group draws and starting the tournament. As such, please keep close watch here. We will try to have a bracket available as soon as we can, but there will be little time between that and the deadline.

Below will be the link to predict the WTA Finals in Shenzhen. All contest participants should predict.

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/pc2019/brackets/WTAYEC_2019.htm

Deadline will be Sunday October 27th at 4:30 PM local time (USA: 4:30 AM EDT - 1:30 AM PDT)

Please plan to check the thread for draws and to enter the day before the deadline.

These contestants qualified for Shenzhen, which is a separate prediction contest from the year-long one. However, every contestant still needs to make a prediction like normal.

1. JazzNU
2. Omegadoom
3.(tie) Tenedab
3.(tie) Patrick
5. BHar11
6. MysterX
7. Daveg
8. PtMcMahon

Alternates:
1. PeterSkan
2. AtlPam
3. Fastbackss

Picks: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/pc2019/results/102819allpicks.htm

Date and time subject to change

James7
10-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Bracket now live

patrick
10-27-2019, 03:16 AM
Picks are up

fastbackss
10-27-2019, 05:59 AM
So, always tough with these deadlines. It seems every year we "lose one.". Which, sadly, has happened again. It's a bummer for a year's worth of effort.

But if I am reading correctly - neither alternate it either. So then what??

PeterSkan
10-27-2019, 07:06 AM
Wow - It's early Sunday morning, October 27th, and I'm just now seeing this thread for the week of October 28th, and I've missed the deadline. Oh well ... should have known!

PeterSkan
10-27-2019, 07:12 AM
Maybe in future, since at least some of us aren't on here 24/7, if a deadline is known to be taking place in a week before the results of the current week are posted, there can be a head's up in the OP for the current week that the deadline for the next week's tournament will also be taking place within that current week.

Just a suggestion.

ptmcmahon
10-27-2019, 08:13 AM
Patrick did give a headsup on 25th... more than 24 hours at least. In this case itís the tournaments fault for short notice so dunno what else could be done...do we have a third alternate?

TennisAnyone74
10-27-2019, 09:27 AM
I feel badly. I keep up with the deadlines and tell BHar11 when to make picks, and I dropped the ball here. He did work hard and may have even missed a tournament, but heís also so forgiving! But I still feel badly.

TA

patrick
10-27-2019, 09:51 AM
Patrick did give a headsup on 25th... more than 24 hours at least. In this case it’s the tournaments fault for short notice so dunno what else could be done...do we have a third alternate?

Due to unforeseen circumstances, one of our qualifiers and the first two alternates missed the deadline. Therefore, the 3rd alternate is Fastbackss.

ptmcmahon
10-27-2019, 11:11 AM
Glad I redid my picks... originally had Osaka 0-3 and Kvitova in finals. May still not work but so far itís better.

JazzNU
10-27-2019, 05:21 PM
My suggestion would be to set your own reminders since the organizers of these have plenty to do already. This will be located in Shenzhen for the next few years so you know already the timing won't be great for those of us on this side of the world.

Personally, I have weekly reminders in my phone already set for tennis fantasy, so this just piggybacks off of that. But if you don't, then set some specifically for the weeks ahead of the 2020 WTA Finals to give yourself a heads up about the quick timing. The WTA calendar was just released for next year. The Olympics are pushing things back so Elite Trophy is the week of October 26th and the Finals is the week of November 2, both of which require entering your results before the week kicks off and maybe doing the Elite Trophy will help to remember that the Finals is the following week.

Put reminders in your phone right now in October 2019 and if you're in it by the end next year, you'll have it already there to make sure you don't miss it. My suggestion would be to add them for the days ahead of what the WTA lists since that will almost always mean you're too late, so set reminders for Oct 23rd-25th for the WTA Elite Trophy and for Oct 30th-Nov 1st for the WTA Finals.

It'll take all of 3 minutes at most to set up these reminders. I'm taking my own advice and it took me 90 seconds to do this.

ptmcmahon
10-28-2019, 07:01 AM
Time for the 100% Unofficial scoreboard update after first three matches. JazzNU was the only one to call Svitolina over Pliskova and has taken the lead:

6 - JazzNU
4 - Omegadoom, patrick, tenedab,, mysterx, daveg, ptmcmahon
2 - fastbackss

The other match today has an even 4-4 split of Andreescu and Halep. Andreescu currently up a set, but down a break in second set.

For winners, we have 3 with Barty, 2 with Osaka, 2 with Andreescu, and 1 with Pliskova.

For finalists, 7 have Osaka, 5 have Barty, 3 have Andreescu, and 1 has Pliskova. The other four got very little love, only picked six times combined to be in semis, with four of those to Halep.

If the final is a mix of the top 3 picked this will likely come down to the wire. If not we may have a winner before final.

As the Pliskova picker...not too impressed this am! :)

JazzNU
10-28-2019, 07:37 AM
Time for the 100% Unofficial scoreboard update after first three matches. JazzNU was the only one to call Svitolina over Pliskova and has taken the lead:

I'm not going back to check or anything, but fairly certain that my season-long feeling of being unimpressed with Pliskova has served me very well in getting to the top of qualifying for year-end finals.

fastbackss
10-28-2019, 06:37 PM
There's a reason I am the 3rd alternate, haha!

(just here to have fun and provide entertainment on behalf of my poor brethren who missed the timeline)

ptmcmahon
10-29-2019, 03:07 AM
Glad I redid my picks... originally had Osaka 0-3 and Kvitova in finals. May still not work but so far it’s better.

You just HAD to brag about that one win you got didn't you pt. It still may work our better for me since 7/8 of us had her in finals anyway. The two with her as winner won't be happy though.

texasniteowl
10-29-2019, 04:42 AM
well, that is about the way my year has gone...for anyone who didn't know, Osaka has now withdrawn with a right shoulder injury.

ptmcmahon
10-29-2019, 04:52 AM
JazzNU didn't have Osaka picked in a single match left, and obviously was only one without her in final (or semi.) Definitely looking good for first place at this point!

JazzNU
10-29-2019, 05:49 AM
JazzNU didn't have Osaka picked in a single match left, and obviously was only one without her in final (or semi.) Definitely looking good for first place at this point!

I'm thinking this will be an effective jinx as I always figured I'd mess this up.

But what happens in this situation? Does Bertens take on Osaka's points or is it like Suicide Pool where it's gotta be that name? I can't really recall a mid-finals pull out, just when alternates are subbed in right before the first matches start.

ptmcmahon
10-29-2019, 06:06 AM
I'm pretty sure it's always been you have to pick the right person to get the points. Had any of us wanted we could have chosen Bertens in the drop down anyway, so I think it's just a big fat bunch of zeroes for those picks.

ptmcmahon
10-29-2019, 06:10 AM
Before works gets busy today, I'll give my unofficial scoreboard update for the day - Bertens win in match one obviously got nobody any points. Barty's loss also prevented her from clinching a semi spot which would have gotten everyone but patrick 4 semifinal points. I'll include in parenthesis everyone's pick for second match today.

8 - JazzNU (Kvtiova)
6 - dave g (Bencic)
6 - ptmcmahon (Bencic)
4 - mysterX (Kvitova)
4 - Omegadoom (Kvitova)
4 - patrick (Bencic)
4 - tenedab (Kvitova)
4 - fastbackss (Kvitova)

We'll either have JazzNU up by 4, or a three way tie at end of day.

JazzNU
10-29-2019, 07:41 AM
I'm pretty sure it's always been you have to pick the right person to get the points. Had any of us wanted we could have chosen Bertens in the drop down anyway, so I think it's just a big fat bunch of zeroes for those picks.

Great point, forgot about the alternates being available. That would've been quite the savage move to pick an alternate before anyone pulled out. Bravo to anyone who did, I wouldn't have guessed right if I had predicted a who so I'm glad this didn't occur to me.

ptmcmahon
10-29-2019, 10:44 AM
I can't remember anyone doing it... although maybe one of the years there was someone very questionable it may have happened? (Possibly Serena?)

JazzNU
10-30-2019, 06:54 AM
Great point, forgot about the alternates being available. That would've been quite the savage move to pick an alternate before anyone pulled out. Bravo to anyone who did, I wouldn't have guessed right if I had predicted a who so I'm glad this didn't occur to me.

Ha! Spoke too soon.

ptmcmahon
10-30-2019, 10:24 AM
Working out the scenarios ... wondering if Svitolina doesn't play the alternate on Friday if she is credited with a win or not? Asking for me and a friend (mysterx) :)

ptmcmahon
10-30-2019, 11:18 AM
Today's unofficial scoreboard

10* - Jazznu
10 - dave g
10 - ptmcmahon
8 - patrick
8 - fastbackss
6 - tenedab
4 - mysterx
4 - omegadoom

Jazznu is also the only person who correctly had Svitolina in semis, so that 10 is really a 14.

With Bianca now also out, some people are getting low on picks remaining. I don't think any of our bottom three have enough unique picks left to be able to gain their way into the top 3, but don't quote me on that yet. I can say no one has more than one finalist left, and two have neither.

ptmcmahon
10-31-2019, 06:44 AM
Unofficial scoreboard update.

I've added points for the three semifinalists we know. I'm also listing some additional info - first who we picked tomorrow with Bianca picks removed, second if we have Pliskova or Halep in semis (some of us have both, but only one will be in semis), third if we have a finalist, last if we have a winner:

22 - JazzNU(1) (Pliskova, Neither, Barty, Barty)
16 - Daveg(6) (Halep, Both, Barty, Barty)
14 - ptmcmahon(7) (Pliskova and Svitolina, Both, Pliskova, Pliskova)
14 - fastbackss(8) (Halep, Both, Barty, Barty)
12 - Omegadoom(2) (Pliskova, Pliskova, None, None)
12 - patrick(3) (Pliskova, Pliskova, None, None)
12 - tenedab(3) (Pliskova, Pliskova, Barty, None)
10 - mysterx(5) (Halep and Svitolina, Halep, Barty, None)

Analyzing scenarios now!

ptmcmahon
10-31-2019, 07:02 AM
So again, these could be wrong from typos etc... but what I've worked out:

1) Halep wins tomorrow

A) If Barty makes final OR if Svitolina doesn't get a win tomorrow: Jazz 1st, Dave 2nd, fastbackss 3rd
B) If Svitolina wins tomorrow and Barty loses semifinal: Jazz 1st, Dave 2nd, ptmcmahon 3rd

2) Pliskova wins tomorrow

a) If Barty wins final - Jazz 1st, Dave 2nd, fastbackss 3rd
b) If Barty makes final and loses - Jazz 1st, Dave 2nd, tenedab 3rd
c) Svitolina wins tomorrow and Barty and Pliskova lose semis - Jazz 1st, ptmcmahon 2nd, Dave 3rd
d) Svitolina doesn't win tomorrow and Barty and Pliskova lose semis - Jazz 1st, Dave 2nd, ptmcmahon 3rd
e) Pliskova makes final - ptmcmahon 1st, Jazz 2nd, Dave 3rd

So I think JazzNU and Dave have clinched medals (at least silver for Jazz) and there are three of us going for the third one...

EDIT - Now that I look at scenarios, Pliskova would play Barty in semis so I can cross off the scenarios where they both lose semi!

ptmcmahon
11-01-2019, 07:57 AM
Final unoffical update:

24 - JazzNU (has Barty winning final)
22 - ptmcmahon (has Pliskova winning final)
20 - daveg (has Barty winning final)
18 - omegadoom
18 - patrick
18 - tenedab (seeded 3rd, has Barty making final but not winning)
18 - fastbackss (seeded 8th, has Barty winning final)
12 - mysterx

Down to three scenarios:

a) If Barty wins final - Jazz 1st, Dave 2nd, fastbackss 3rd
b) If Barty makes final and loses - Jazz 1st, Dave 2nd, tenedab 3rd
c) If Pliskova makes final - ptmcmahon 1st, Jazz 2nd, Dave 3rd

ptmcmahon
11-03-2019, 08:32 AM
I think our third alternate just medaled :)