PDA

View Full Version : 2019: Greatest Loser: Loser's Lounge

dave g
09-13-2019, 07:44 AM
The Greatest Loser 2019: Loser's Lounge

This is where we come to celebrate our losers, complain about our winners,
and mostly have fun discussing the contest.

ptmcmahon
09-13-2019, 07:59 AM
So finally a good contest to use a Bondarenko, and she's not ranked high enough!

I find assembling this team much different than normal contests...so many people struggling I want to put on my teams but can't....too many "good" choices.

ponchi101
09-13-2019, 08:30 AM
This one is so tough.
Pick the people that will LOSE asap, but who will actually qualify for the tournament.
Watch Angelique start winning again as soon as I put her in my team. Which will make me happy/sad (me and my crush on her)

ptmcmahon
09-13-2019, 09:22 AM
She was the very first person I wrote down on my list.

ptmcmahon
09-17-2019, 11:27 AM
Qiang Wang goes down in round one...nicely done for those who took her (I figured she'd be on a roll in China)

ptmcmahon
09-18-2019, 04:57 AM
All it took for Kerber to break her losing streak was this contest. Should've contest schizo'd her to the title in predictions!

Ribbons
09-18-2019, 08:00 PM
As poorly as I'm doing, it could've been worse -- Kuznetsova was kind enough to bail in time for me to ditch Golubic.

texasniteowl
09-18-2019, 09:43 PM
Guess I should have taken Svitolina instead of Kerber. Hmm...

Sadly, I have 4 players still alive who should lose as soon as possible please. Kerber, Tomljanovic, Y. Wang, and Putintseva. The rest of my team has done their job so far.

ptmcmahon
09-19-2019, 05:17 AM
Kerber is going to go undefeated until this contest is done. Everyone picked her though so it doesn't really matter how well she does (unless someone trades her out.) Not hurting any of us by winning.

And if Sviotlina's knee is bad enough that it keeps her out of other tournaments... then taking her might not wind up good after all. Can't lose if you don't play.

tenedab
09-22-2019, 07:27 AM
I have a contest questions. Why not utilizing all available tournaments during upcoming weeks? Is it the idea to go only with Asian swing which is somewhat artificial and excludes Linz and Luxembourg (both in Europe) even though Moscow(in Europe) is included? This is a suggestion for next year if organizers are interested.

dave g
09-22-2019, 07:47 AM
I have a contest questions. Why not utilizing all available tournaments during upcoming weeks? Is it the idea to go only with Asian swing which is somewhat artificial and excludes Linz and Luxembourg (both in Europe) even though Moscow(in Europe) is included? This is a suggestion for next year if organizers are interested.

Next year, this is going to be an ATP contest. The next time this will be a WTA contest is in 2021. Probably the biggest barrier to this change is going to remember the question in 2021.

tenedab
09-27-2019, 05:22 AM
Just a reminder. Beijing MD starts Saturday 12:30 local. So it looks like the deadline for trades should be tonight 12:30 am Eastern

ptmcmahon
09-27-2019, 12:35 PM
I'm seeing matches stating at 11:30 PM Eastern time myself - Bencic-Hseih and Zheng-Puig. So may want to to get trades in before that I'm guessing to be safe?

Oops...I see MysterX posted deadline in trades thread. For those who didn't look deadline is 11 PM Eastern.

dave g
09-28-2019, 09:43 AM
After I trade in Ostapenko, she goes and beats Ka. Pliskova. :rolleyes:

texasniteowl
09-28-2019, 01:26 PM
well, at least you weren't alone! an awful lot of us traded ostapenko into our teams this week!

tenedab
09-28-2019, 06:22 PM
After I trade in Ostapenko, she goes and beats Ka. Pliskova. :rolleyes:

It's a crazy way to win with 25 DFs

ptmcmahon
10-05-2019, 05:55 PM
My funny draw story of the week..yesterday I decided I would add either Kudermotova or Tomljanovic...whoever got the worse draw.

They play each other :)

ptmcmahon
10-07-2019, 03:12 AM
The instant feedback for this contest is great...we already know trading in Potopova was a good idea. It does make the end of tournaments pretty anti-climatic though.

texasniteowl
10-11-2019, 03:58 AM
Anyone else having too many wins this week? Don't these players know they are supposed to lose?

ponchi101
10-11-2019, 11:22 AM
I added REBECCA PETERSON. Who was playing Venus in the first round.
All the way to the quarters and still playing (I think).
Our collective ability to play all these games WRONG is amazing. Suicide Pools? We pick losers. YCWJ? We pick winners. BIGGEST LOSER? We nail the eventual champion again and again.

patrick
10-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Yep. Yep. Yep.

texasniteowl
10-11-2019, 02:04 PM
Of course, I even posted that before Ostapenko won another match. geez! And Kudermetova! ugh!

ptmcmahon
10-11-2019, 06:06 PM
I added REBECCA PETERSON. Who was playing Venus in the first round.
All the way to the quarters and still playing (I think).
Our collective ability to play all these games WRONG is amazing. Suicide Pools? We pick losers. YCWJ? We pick winners. BIGGEST LOSER? We nail the eventual champion again and again.

Semis now. And she's playing in the wrong tournament next week too.

It's the D players screwing everything up of all people. My only B player was nice enough to lose right away. None of my D players even entered Moscow qualifying.

ptmcmahon
10-17-2019, 07:34 AM
I haven't been tracking other people's teams... is there any remaining drama with the matches still to come to decide who's going to win/medal in this one? Or is it all (Unofficially of course) decided by now? I'm down to my last player (Pavy) but assume some people still have 2-3 maybe.

texasniteowl
10-17-2019, 08:22 AM
I've only been tracking the top 4 (since I'm one of them) for this last week. By my very unofficial tally, waylandboy-tw will win again. 2nd place is a tossup. Omegadoom has Bertens and Pavy left, I have Kudermetova left (thanks for nothing Svitolina!). Just behind you (by 150-200 pts) were tenedab, Jeff in TX, and daveg, but I haven't been tracking them.

ptmcmahon
10-17-2019, 10:06 AM
Thought so. I'll probably be the biggest loser who doesn't get a medal for being a loser then! :) That first unneeded trade by me to trade out a hurt Tsurenko came back to bite me...researched her losses and didn't pay attention to her not playing since July...heh.

texasniteowl
10-17-2019, 10:57 AM
Well, I'm regretting Kudermetova...she wasn't supposed to play as well as she has. And I really should have traded in Babos instead of Hercog this last week. But I still wouldn't have caught waylandboy-tw, so oh well.

ptmcmahon
10-17-2019, 11:02 AM
Yeah, what a loser!

(We say with jealousy.) :)

ponchi101
10-19-2019, 11:45 AM
I say we send Ostapenko a tab for her wins. We almost all picked her. She immediately started winning.
5% is not out of proportion, I say.

ptmcmahon
10-19-2019, 06:44 PM
She got me 210 points the first three weeks... I'm blaming all of you for adding her!

Don't forget doesn't matter if she's winning this week though.