PDA

View Full Version : Predictions : Week of 012819

patrick
01-27-2019, 06:05 AM
This contest is temporarily closed to new participants. If you participated in the contest since January 1,2010 or you signed up on or before Monday December 31,2018, you are eligible to participate.

We have two events to predict this week. For the WTA, we have Hua Hin and St. Petersburg.

WTA BRACKETS

Hua Hin: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/pc2019/brackets/012819WTAHUA-HIN.htm Predictions are due before play starts on Wednesday at 3 PM local (USA: Wednesday at 3 AM EST - Midnight PST)

St. Petersburg: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/pc2019/brackets/012819WTAST-PETERSBURG.htm Predictors are due before play starts on Wednesday at 1 PM local (USA: 5 AM EST - 2 AM PST)

PICKS:

After the deadlines pass, you will be able to find everyone's picks at http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/pc2019/results/012819allpicks.htm

Dates and time are subject to change.

James7
01-29-2019, 05:54 AM
Bumping to get this visible.

kandi
01-29-2019, 10:15 AM
Question:: are we doing anything with the new Davis Cup qualifying rounds?

ptmcmahon
01-29-2019, 11:33 AM
Not this year....they said might return next year though.

ptmcmahon
01-29-2019, 01:55 PM
My #1 prediction for the week... Kvtiova withdraws after our deadline. She IS in St Petersburg so she is really messing with us!

ptmcmahon
01-29-2019, 02:09 PM
Speaking of St. Pete's... looks like Cibulkova has withdrawn, and we still have some "Q's" left in the draw so might need to re-do those picks later if you already have or are doing shortly. You can't select a valid player for that spot yet - there are two Q's a LL competing for that quarterfinal :)

PeterSkan
01-29-2019, 04:40 PM
Are these deadlines still valid? Or does the form just need updating? I haven't checked livescores to see where things are at.

mysterX
01-29-2019, 04:51 PM
Speaking of St. Pete's... looks like Cibulkova has withdrawn, and we still have some "Q's" left in the draw so might need to re-do those picks later if you already have or are doing shortly. You can't select a valid player for that spot yet - there are two Q's a LL competing for that quarterfinal :)

Can't we just pick the spot in the draw and have the pick accepted. The matches have been over for some time but the form is still not updated. I looked at the order of play and see the positions in the draw for the remaining players and picked accordingly.

patrick
01-29-2019, 05:07 PM
Can't we just pick the spot in the draw and have the pick accepted. The matches have been over for some time but the form is still not updated. I looked at the order of play and see the positions in the draw for the remaining players and picked accordingly.

yes

ptmcmahon
01-29-2019, 06:08 PM

I just meant that since Cibulkova withdrew, we couldn't have made a good pick there...could only pick "Q" but we had two of em. She probably found a really good elevator somewhere.

All ready now though.

patrick
01-30-2019, 02:53 AM
Picks are up

TennisAnyone74
01-30-2019, 03:00 AM
Missed them again! BHar is really going to be mad at me when I tell him, since he depends on me to keep up with the deadlines. Oh, well . . .

TA

fastbackss
01-30-2019, 04:26 AM
Missed them again!
TA

This time you can blame the Skan contest afterglow :)

kandi
01-30-2019, 05:28 AM
LATEST: Maria withdrew this morning. Thanks a bunch, Pova.

ptmcmahon
01-30-2019, 06:30 AM
I'm surprised so many people took Sharapova over Goerges. Of course, I was the only one picking Goerges as my winner so maybe I've overestimated HER chances this week.

I'm not really surprised only three of us had Kasatkina though...I just noticed she hadn't won a match since October! And well, technically she really still hasn't.

ptmcmahon
01-30-2019, 10:50 AM
It's amazing how well we set ourselves up sometimes...at least it counts as a contest schzio pick though.

fastbackss
01-30-2019, 02:03 PM
And here we thought Petra would withdraw...

James7
01-31-2019, 06:36 AM
Question:: are we doing anything with the new Davis Cup qualifying rounds?

The format changed significantly and we don't have a pre-existing template for it at the start of the year here. Since it wasn't too obvious how it would work as an event in terms of details we thought it best to let the first year play out here without worrying about it. We can then assess for next year how it would work as a scored event (or not).

Since it's purely in the bonus category originally it's not too big of a deal. Though it does mean our bonus this year is slightly WTA-biased.

the Moz
01-31-2019, 07:13 AM
I missed the deadline, even after patrick bumped :hammerself:

Low scores this week from you lot please :laugh:

fastbackss
01-31-2019, 07:30 AM
Low scores this week from you lot please :laugh:

With only 1 match from quarterfinals set, here is where we are at. I think the biggest potential variance in score is if Kvitova or Kasatkina wins out since many had them going out early.

Kvitova 11 picked
Vekic all picked
Kastkina 3 picked
Bepa - 2 picked
Alexandrova - 4 picked
Sabalenka - all but 1
Pavs - all but 4
Bertens - all picked, so she better win!

Mugu - all picked
Yastremska - 13 picked
Linette - 6 pcked
Wang - 2 picked
Tomlan - all but 2 picked
Zheng - all but 6 picked
Golubic - 14 picked
last match - pretty split

PeterSkan
02-01-2019, 07:28 AM
I should have figured Kvitova was wasted. And Mug is such a headcase, she could lose to my dog on any given day ... and I don't have a dog.

ptmcmahon
02-02-2019, 07:20 PM
In Hua Hin:

Dry, evil_juju, and patrick all correctly had Yastremska in final, and all have her to win it.

Meanwhile 13 had Tomlanjovic in final, with none picking her to win it...0 for 13!

In St Petersburg:

Only fastbackss had Vekic in final, doesn't have her to win

Four had Bertens in final, mysterx and texasniteowl having her winning it.