PDA

View Full Version : Predictions : Singapore

patrick
10-18-2018, 06:07 PM
NOTE: This post WILL be edited.

As usual, Singapore gives us very little time between finalizing their participants/group draws and starting the tournament. As such, please keep close watch here. We will try to have a bracket available as soon as we can, but there will be little time between that and the deadline.

Below will be the link to predict the WTA Finals in Singapore. All contest participants should predict.

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/pc2018/brackets/WTF-YEC2018.htm (To be available later sometime after draw Friday)

Deadline will be Sunday October 21st at 5 PM local time (USA: 5 AM EDT - 2 AM PDT)

Please plan to check the thread for draws and to enter the day before the deadline. As mentioned, this is typically a struggle as they don't finalize groups till late.

These contestants qualified for Singapore, which is a separate prediction contest from the year-long one. However, every contestant still needs to make a prediction like normal.

1. 3mlm
2. AtlPam
3. Miles
4. James7
5. MysterX
6.(tie) Omegadoom
6.(tie) Patrick
8. Tenedab

Alternates:
1.(tie) TennisAnyone74
1.(tie) BHar11

Picks: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/pc2018/results/102218allpicks.htm

Date and time subject to change

James7
10-19-2018, 10:05 AM
When do they draw groups? The bracket has to be made (by hand) only after that happens.

James7
10-19-2018, 11:03 AM
Ok. I guess that's up. But I have no clue about alternates.

ptmcmahon
10-19-2018, 11:11 PM
Bump!

PeterSkan
10-21-2018, 07:36 AM
Crap ...

TennisAnyone74
10-21-2018, 11:40 AM
Well, itís good that BHar and I were only alternates, since I havenít checked this thread since Thursday! 😢

TA

ptmcmahon
10-21-2018, 04:18 PM
Ooooh...did a triple alternate make it in?

patrick
10-21-2018, 04:55 PM
Ooooh...did a triple alternate make it in?

No. All participants made a pick

TennisAnyone74
10-22-2018, 02:04 PM
That makes me feel better.

TA

3mlm
10-22-2018, 03:46 PM
Two days in: 15 pickers, 4 matches, 60 total picks, 7 correct picks. Not very promising.

mysterX
10-22-2018, 04:37 PM
No, but it makes me feel better. Misery loves company.

ptmcmahon
10-22-2018, 10:24 PM
So my 2 may be good enough for first so far? :D

dave g
10-25-2018, 08:04 AM
So my 2 may be good enough for first so far? :D

At this rate, you might win the tournament with your 2. :(

ptmcmahon
10-25-2018, 08:54 AM
One of us should have just picked all the games and then switched to the complete opposite...I'll have to try that next year.

Today only 3 people had Pliskova over Kvitova, and only 4 had Svitolina over Wozniacki.

Svitolina won this group and The Moz was the only person who put her in the semifinals. I think we only had 4 with Pliskova in semis as well, if I counted right.

fastbackss
10-25-2018, 11:34 AM
More amusingly, the 4 of us who had either Pliskova or Svitolina - none of us are in the final 10 (8+ alternates) ;)

Miles
10-25-2018, 02:22 PM
I think we need to change the way we pick RR matches since a win/loss doesn’t necessarily means said player advances or is eliminated.

For RR we should be required to pick the order the players will finish in from 1-4. And then have to fill out the semi draw based on our #1 and #2 picks in each group.

ptmcmahon
10-25-2018, 08:40 PM
More amusingly, the 4 of us who had either Pliskova or Svitolina - none of us are in the final 10 (8+ alternates) ;)

That usually seems to be the way...when you're in the "eight" the tendency is usually to try to pick the same as others picked for the most part...very few upsets get picked.

I think we need to change the way we pick RR matches since a win/loss doesnít necessarily means said player advances or is eliminated.

Are there people actually picking people to advance opposite of how they pick RR? Even if so, I'm not sure if this actually helps them at all? Not sure I see what problem is.

ptmcmahon
10-26-2018, 06:49 AM
And it continues...

Only 2 had Bertens over Osaka - The Moz and I (I have a feeling we'll both be near the top of the scores ;) )

It wasn't a majority, but 7 people had Stephens over Kerber. Was that our best match of the week? Did we actually have all 12 matches where the majority of us were wrong?

4 had Bertens in semis, 4 had Stephens in semis. 3mlm actually had them both, although had both losing to people who are out.

Possible finalists: Bertens 1, Stephens 2, Svitolina 1, Pliskova 2. Dead finalists: 24 (despite only half the field being eliminated so far.)

Possible Winners: Svitolina 1, Stephens 1, Pliskova 1

mysterX
10-26-2018, 08:40 AM
That usually seems to be the way...when you're in the "eight" the tendency is usually to try to pick the same as others picked for the most part...very few upsets get picked.

Are there people actually picking people to advance opposite of how they pick RR? Even if so, I'm not sure if this actually helps them at all? Not sure I see what problem is.

Your predictions may result in a tie, so you have to also predict which of the tied players makes the semis. At least it matters if you then pick that player to win their semi.

I can see the merit in Miles's suggestion. In the big picture you are trying to pick who comes out of each pool more than the individual matches. Maybe we should pick the individual matches but also award points for successfully picking the semifinalists.If you pick a clear 1 and 2 and you are correct, you get the added point(s). But if you pick some sort of tie and you are correct, you only get the added points if you pick the tiebreak winner.

ptmcmahon
10-26-2018, 09:05 AM
But...we do get points for getting semifinalists correct...(right?)

If mind serves isn't it 2-4-6-8 (rr match/semi/finalist/winner) ?

mysterX
10-26-2018, 09:24 AM
If we do, then the point is moot.

ptmcmahon
10-26-2018, 09:26 AM
Every couple of years when I am in one of the final 8's and I score as we go along that's how I've already done it...let me see if I can find it in the rules.

Edit:

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/threads/22686-Predictions-Week-of-111014

Looks like we used to include scoring in the initial post and since then nothing's mentioned about it changing...so yes semifinalists should already be worth 4 points.

Drop-shot
10-26-2018, 10:44 AM
But...we do get points for getting semifinalists correct...(right?)

If mind serves isn't it 2-4-6-8 (rr match/semi/finalist/winner) ?

Yes, semifinalists get points.

Miles
10-26-2018, 11:43 AM
Because a W-L in the RR portion is just one factor in determining if a player advances to the semi (after all a player who goes 1-2 can advance to the semi), correctly picking winners in the RR portion doesn’t necessarily correlate to who will make the semi. That’s why I was suggesting getting points for correctly picking the order of the four players in each RR section (not just the top two).

3mlm
10-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Because a W-L in the RR portion is just one factor in determining if a player advances to the semi (after all a player who goes 1-2 can advance to the semi), correctly picking winners in the RR portion doesn’t necessarily correlate to who will make the semi. That’s why I was suggesting getting points for correctly picking the order of the four players in each RR section (not just the top two).

I'm wondering whether points are awarded for players picked as semifinalists but in the wrong positions, i.e. picking Bertens to win the Red Group and Stevens to be #2 or Pliskova to win the White Group and Svitolina to be #2. And are there points for picking a finalist or winner that was picked for the wrong SF position?

ptmcmahon
10-26-2018, 12:31 PM
Currently there are no "position" points. You get 2 points for each semifinalist you pick, regardless of if they were first or second...as long as you picked them you get the points. You get the Stephens/Bertens points today whichever way you put down both of them ;)

ptmcmahon
10-27-2018, 06:51 AM
One last depressing stat for the week...we had more people who had no semifinalists (5) than people who had a finalist (3).

Someone will get the winner right at least - mysterX has Sloane, the Moz has Svitolina.