PDA

View Full Version : Your Co-Commissioners for the 2006 Suicide Pool

Moose
12-30-2005, 04:15 PM
Everybody,
I asked, and shtexas was kind enough to accept the role as co-commissioner of the Suicide Pool for our upcoming season.

Shtx will be running the mens Pool and I'll be running the womens for the Aussie. And we'll split up duties so we can cover IW, Miami (for practice) and the other 3 SLams along the way.

Between the Werthiem link last year (a number of people asked us to contact them to play...and a few hundred hit the link in the week the column was up) we're hoping to grow the game (and perhaps our TAT community) this time around.

Look forward to seeing what players piss Dry off this year...he's beginning to run out of players he can't pick!

Kirkus
12-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Thanks to you both for your commitment. [smiley=overhead_clap.gif] I can hardly wait!

Sebastien447
12-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Oh my ... the suicide pool!

[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]
i'm all tingly!

Doll_Face
12-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Shtexas is a great choice!!!

Okay, the first thing he needs to know is that we love crab legs ;)

Tennis season is almost here [smiley=woo_hoo.gif]

TennisDude
12-31-2005, 07:11 PM
I can't wait for the suicide pool, It's going to be awesome! Although hopefully I'll make it past day 2 [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Armstrong
01-05-2006, 05:12 AM
Awsome, hopefully you guys won't dissapoint ... [smiley=laugh.gif]

Kirkus
01-09-2006, 01:19 PM
what do i need to do to join the suicide pool?
Here's a link to instructions and rules:

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/cgi-bin/TATv2/YaBB.pl?num=1135823734

Your first day's pick will be due before the start of play on the first day. Moose and shtexas are running the pool and there will be a post in this board called something like, "AO Suicide Pool Day 1". You'll post your day 1 pick there.

womentennis_fan
01-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Oh my,the suicide pool this time will be excruciatingly painful with so short a season prior to the Aussie ! [smiley=wall.gif]

Excuse me while I ... [smiley=vomit.gif]

womentennis_fan
01-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Do we have mulligans on NFL playoffs week-ends? ;D

3mlm
01-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Suicide pool participants will have to be alert this weekend.

According to the AO site, the main draw won't be out until Sunday (Saturday afternoon or evening in the US) and our first round picks will be due before the start of play on Monday (3 PM PST/6 PM EST in the US).

Razor
01-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Bahhh, you call this a suicide pool? Back in my day, if you lost you offed yourself -- by way of repeated strikes to the head with a wooden racket. Then Connors came along with that ridiculous aluminum jobbie and ruined it all. Just try to give yourself a good bashing nowadays with a stick of graphite or kevlar -- you barely leave yourself woozy before the thing splinters every which way.

Sebastien447
01-11-2006, 06:55 AM
Bahhh, you call this a suicide pool? Back in my day, if you lost you offed yourself -- by way of repeated strikes to the head with a wooden racket. Then Connors came along with that ridiculous aluminum jobbie and ruined it all. Just try to give yourself a good bashing nowadays with a stick of graphite or kevlar -- you barely leave yourself woozy before the thing splinters every which way.

LOL Razor ... feel free to pummel yourself if you lose ... I just don't believe that we'll be able to make that mandatory for all contestants! ;)

Razor
01-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Ahhh, you're all a bunch of coddled sissies who wouldn't know a drop shot from a hole in your heads. Back in my day, we had to kill our own cats for our strings -- no fancyboy stringers from Prince back then at our every beck and call. Oooh, it's going to be grand showing you a thing or two about tennis handicapping....

Sebastien447
01-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Ahhh, you're all a bunch of coddled sissies who wouldn't know a drop shot from a hole in your heads. Back in my day, we had to kill our own cats for our strings -- no fancyboy stringers from Prince back then at our every beck and call. Oooh, it's going to be grand showing you a thing or two about tennis handicapping....

[smiley=hyst.gif]

I was so poor, and unfortunately also unfamiliar with the process of disemboweling cats for tennis strings, that I played tennis with just an empty frame for an entire month.

Oh, and I had to run up hill 15 miles to get to the tennis court, oftentimes while being spat upon by the other kids who all despised tennis :P

No sissy here! [smiley=boxing.gif]

Kirkus
01-11-2006, 01:27 PM
And the gauntlet has been thrown down.

Razor
01-11-2006, 01:36 PM
What's with all these dancing cartoon characters in your post, eh Sebastien? You hepped up on happy juice? My day we had to squeeze the liquid from 5000 boiled pine needles to get any buzz worth a damn, reaching in the steaming cauldron with our bare hands, all the while keeping the ball hopper full to the brim with bright fuzzy yellow orbs for our tennis instructor, who'd just as soon use your gaping maw for an ashtray as teach you anything about a kick serve. And heaven help you if he found you lollygagging with the ball lassies -- oh, then you'd be in a fine pea soup! You'd be cleaning the lines with your tongue come sun up....

No strings in your racquet -- might as well go play golf!

shtexas
01-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Suicide pool participants will have to be alert this weekend.

According to the AO site, the main draw won't be out until Sunday (Saturday afternoon or evening in the US) and our first round picks will be due before the start of play on Monday (3 PM PST/6 PM EST in the US).

yes, 3mlm, I saw that too! They used to always have it out by Friday. If true, we will all have to be careful because the draws and the schedule for day 1 will be released close together.

Kirkus
01-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Things were quite different in "your day", eh razor? Personally, I prefer to live in the present where dancing cartoon characters are in abundance.

Long live dancing cartoon characters!

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Sebastien447
01-11-2006, 01:55 PM
What's with all these dancing cartoon characters in your post, eh Sebastien? You hepped up on happy juice? My day we had to squeeze the liquid from 5000 boiled pine needles to get any buzz worth a damn, reaching in the steaming cauldron with our bare hands, all the while keeping the ball hopper full to the brim with bright fuzzy yellow orbs for our tennis instructor, who'd just as soon use your gaping maw for an ashtray as teach you anything about a kick serve. And heaven help you if he found you lollygagging with the ball lassies -- oh, then you'd be in a fine pea soup! You'd be cleaning the lines with your tongue come sun up....

No strings in your racquet -- might as well go play golf!

You had a cauldron?! Ball hoppers! Pea soup and yellow orbs! Fuzzy even!

Spoiled rotten rich you were!

Razor
01-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Our ball hopper was the jaws of a captive alligator our instructor kept leashed to his ankle, and who would, from time to time, snap shut on the wrists of those newer students who didn't know to be fast with their hands (and faster with the lighter for Herr Krauptmann's pipe). And no crying about it either -- you made do, that's what -- nothing wrong with a left-handed net man.

The fire for our cauldron was lit by the friction created by our hand-made wood-soled shoes on the hard asphalt, chasing down lob after fooking top spin lob (and don't think for a minute we were actually allowed to use a racquet to return them, no we caught them and ran them back to the gator). After our evening session, the cauldron fire was doused by our tears as we collapsed into the netting at mid court which comprised our bedding.

The balls were top quality though. Herr Krauptmann only spoke of his "connection from zie War".

Kirkus
01-11-2006, 02:40 PM
[smiley=hyst.gif]

This would have driven Bill nuts. LMAO.

Sebastien447
01-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Our ball hopper was the jaws of a captive alligator our instructor kept leashed to his ankle, and who would, from time to time, snap shut on the wrists of those newer students who didn't know to be fast with their hands (and faster with the lighter for Herr Krauptmann's pipe). And no crying about it either -- you made do, that's what -- nothing wrong with a left-handed net man.

The fire for our cauldron was lit by the friction created by our hand-made wood-soled shoes on the hard asphalt, chasing down lob after fooking top spin lob (and don't think for a minute we were actually allowed to use a racquet to return them, no we caught them and ran them back to the gator). After our evening session, the cauldron fire was doused by our tears as we collapsed into the netting at mid court which comprised our bedding.

The balls were top quality though. Herr Krauptmann only spoke of his "connection from zie War".

Now there's one for the post of the year competition ... you are very funny razor, and write well! Only 4 posts, but they've all been doozies! Kudos, you had me laughing hard!

Razor
01-12-2006, 05:46 AM
Buttering me up will do you no good lad. I've hocked things up from my tar-encrusted lungs that had more sense then you all. Why, back in my day....

In any event, thanks for the compliments. If only I could use my powers for good.

Doll_Face
01-12-2006, 08:10 AM

Hi Razor,

What a witty but cruel attitude, lol. I'll provide the cats, you concentrate on your picks. If or when you lose, Dry will get them to you ;)

Welcome to TAT