PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED: Men's P&R Thread

Drop-shot
07-07-2018, 05:37 PM
Congrats to the final dozen! Since you're so few, we're going to go old school:

Auburn84: A MANNARINO - K EDMUND - S QUERREY - F FOGNINI - S TSITSIPAS - K KHACHANOV - ANDERSON - DEL POTRO

BankerB4: M RAONIC - K. EDMUND - G. MONFILS - M. EBDEN - J. ISNER - J. DEL POTRO - NISHIKORI - DJOKOVIC - ANDERSON

CyborgShoes: G MULLER - F LOPEZ - G MONFILS - K EDMUND - ANDERSON - K KHACHANOV - DEL POTRO - RAONIC

JieOllily0001: S. TSITSIPAS - E GULBIS - A. MANNARINO - K EDMUND - K ANDERSON - K KHACHANOV - NISHIKORI - RAONIC

mysterX: J ISNER - F LOPEZ - G MONFILS - A DE MINAUR - A. MANNARINO - K KHACHANOV - NISHIKORI - RAONIC

Pione-Sisto: G GARCIA-LOPEZ - K NISHIKORI - G MONFILS - M EBDEN - K ANDERSON - J DEL POTRO - RAONIC - DJOKOVIC - ISNER

slc2466: A. MANNARINO - B. PAIRE - G. MONFILS - K. EDMUND - S. TSITSIPAS - E. GULBIS - NISHIKORI - DJOKOVIC - ISNER

sluggo-13: M. MCDONALD - J. VESELY - D. MEDVEDEV - F. TIAFOE - S TSITSIPAS - K KHACHANOV - ISNER - DJOKOVIC - ANDERSON

Sportsfan: P. KOHLSCHREIBER - F LOPEZ - MONFILS - M EBDEN - S TSITSIPAS - N DJOKOVIC - NISHIKORI - RAONIC

SW195AE: A SEPPI - K EDMUND - D MEDVEDEV - K KHACHANOV - M RAONIC - G SIMON - NISHIKORI - DJOKOVIC - ISNER

tolulops: A MANNARINO - K NISHIKORI - G MONFILS - K EDMUND - K ANDERSON - K KHACHANOV - DEL POTRO - RAONIC

wjbeauch: G MULLER - F. LOPEZ - J ISNER - K EDMUND - S TSITSIPAS - K KHACHANOV - NISHIKORI - RAONIC

ptmcmahon
07-07-2018, 06:52 PM
To answer Patrick's question in the other thread...no one left in both SPs.

Tigress
07-08-2018, 10:28 AM
Happy Middle Sunday, everyone. Good luck to the dozen of you left who are not red like me.

the Moz
07-08-2018, 02:10 PM
Well done even dozen :thumbsup:

CyborgShoes
07-08-2018, 03:08 PM
Howdy,

Pretty unlikely that it will matter, but my day 5 pick was Anderson not Mannarino. In the 29th post I said Mann but then changed it in 35th post to Kevin. Thanks!

Seth

Drop-shot
07-09-2018, 04:59 AM
Howdy,

Pretty unlikely that it will matter, but my day 5 pick was Anderson not Mannarino. In the 29th post I said Mann but then changed it in 35th post to Kevin. Thanks!

Seth

corrected

Drop-shot
07-09-2018, 05:06 AM
OK, for today we had zero NO PICKS.

7 Nishikori: the "bandwagon". More than one are pegging Gulbis to win although I think Kei prevails but I'm not as confident as before.

2 Del Potro: looks like a good pick -a la Raonic- BUT, if Rafa falters or Delpo beats him you might regret lacking this option for the semifinals.

1 Anderson: I have a bad feeling about this...

1 Raonic: smart pick given that you only need to make one quarterfinal pick. The most lopsided of matchups.

1 Isner: John is lucky enough to have made it this far, I very much doubt that he can win one more.

jazzyg
07-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Isner was not lucky to get this far. He got down two match points and served four aces in a row to hold in the first break points he faced in the entire match with Bemelmans. Bemelmans would have been lucky if he had won. Once the mental block of getting past a match where he always lost in the past was cleared, Isner became very, very dangerous. His game is hard to take, but his serve is even harder to break.

suliso
07-09-2018, 01:04 PM
Well, he and Milos will have lots of fun with each other Wednesday. I'm less sure about spectators...

JTContinental
07-09-2018, 02:19 PM
I love a good serve off

Drop-shot
07-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Isner was not lucky to get this far. He got down two match points and served four aces in a row to hold in the first break points he faced in the entire match with Bemelmans. Bemelmans would have been lucky if he had won. Once the mental block of getting past a match where he always lost in the past was cleared, Isner became very, very dangerous. His game is hard to take, but his serve is even harder to break.

I meant lucky given his historic performance at Slams.

patrick
07-09-2018, 03:48 PM
I meant lucky given his historic performance at Slams.

Also darkness saved Isner vs Bemelmans. Bemelmans was in a good rhythm while Isner was doing his best Sock impersonation on HawkEye to Lahyani

Drop-shot
07-10-2018, 07:32 PM
Seems the final dozen are putting up a fight and refuse to lose.

I'm doing this now since I won't have time tomorrow and all picks are in.

Del Potro 1: I think he loses BUT, it would surprise no one if he blasted Rafa off the court. So, it's not a complete suicide.

Djokovic 5: he'll make short work of Kei so you should be safe barring some unforeseen event.

Raonic 6: he's got more weapons than Isner so I think he gets through, however this one is the most balanced of the matches so we could have a culling!

Drop-shot
07-11-2018, 12:54 PM
5 people alive!

Pione Sisto
07-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Looks like we've got 2 with {Anderson, Isner, Nadal} left; 2 with {Anderson, Nadal} left; and 1 with {Isner, Nadal} left

Drop-shot
07-12-2018, 07:38 PM
The preview:

2 Anderson vs 3 Isner: what a nice setup. A duel to the death between all contestants. On one side we have the likeable South African continuing to build on his return after reaching the final of the USO and taking down Roger Federer for the first time ever. On the other we have John "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to, and invite whom I want to, that includes Donald Trump" Isner who somehow managed to bore Raonic enough to break his serve. :cheesy:
Japes aside, terribly even match with two players surging in the late of their careers. I think Keving has a slight edge (I think he has more game and weapons); but one has to wonder if he might suffer the fate of so many Roger conquerors before and be spent emotionally.

GlennHarman
07-13-2018, 02:13 AM
I found Isner's match with Raonic to be unwatchable. I detest the style of play that depends that much on big serves....something that grass has long fostered. But Isner's giddy comments about the possibility of having Donald Trump there really lost me.

So, GO KEVIN!!! GH

ponchi101
07-13-2018, 06:06 AM
Unnecessary comment. How sad that the simple fact that somebody likes the buffoon-in-chief makes us immediately recoil in disgust.
I feel the same as Glenn. And I know that isn't right.

improbabledream
07-13-2018, 11:54 AM
I dont think the chair umpire had gray hair before this match started

improbabledream
07-13-2018, 11:55 AM
Rumor has it that Isner did all four years at college because his final two years were spent playing a fifth set

improbabledream
07-13-2018, 11:56 AM
If Isner chose basketball instead every game would go to five overtimes

Pione Sisto
07-13-2018, 02:23 PM
Love the Karlovic bit.

I think Isner is the Do Not Pick Club's ambassador to Wimbledon.

From the first thread...
Simply cannot believe Isner ended up taking me out ONCE AGAIN! I let it happen!

ptmcmahon
07-13-2018, 08:33 PM
Ha ha, that's...sort of awesome. He's been waiting for you to pick him all along!

improbabledream
07-13-2018, 10:44 PM
Isner sucks

Drop-shot
07-14-2018, 08:03 AM
With Nadal's loss the pool is effectively over since both survivors have run out of picks for the final. Well done to the remaining two!

Drop-shot
07-15-2018, 09:32 AM
Congrats to Sluggo-13 and BankerB4 for winning the pool, with Banker taking the prize!

dryrunguy
07-15-2018, 12:00 PM
Congratulations to the winners! Your medals have been awarded!

the Moz
07-15-2018, 01:53 PM
Well done winners!