PDA

View Full Version : WSP Updated Women's Picks and Results

dave g
07-07-2018, 09:33 AM
For people who survived Week 1

3mlm : SAFAROVA RISKE Siniakova Hsieh Vekic Van Uytvanck Ostapenko Bertens
barbarapotterfan : RADWANSKA GAVRILOVA Vekic Mertens Giorgi Ostapenko Kasatkina Bertens
blaker414 : RADWANSKA RISKE V. Williams Barty Vekic Ostapenko Cibulkova Goerges
csgnyc : RADWANSKA KASATKINA Buzarnescu Osaka Vekic Ostapenko Goerges Bertens
eskimo_53 : RADWANSKA RISKE Vekic Mertens Giorgi Ostapenko Kasatkina Goerges
Hummingbird : RADWANSKA KONTA Buzarnescu Hsieh Vekic Ostapenko Cibulkova Bertens
Jason11E : AZARENKA BOUCHARD Buzarnescu Osaka Vekic Ostapenko Makarova
Jimmyzee51 : AZARENKA RISKE Bertens Ostapenko Vekic Kerber Kasatkina Goerges
kknudsen : AZARENKA BOUCHARD Buzarnescu Osaka Giorgi Ostapenko Makarova
lbk77 : RADWANSKA RISKE Goerges Osaka Vekic Ostapenko Cibulkova Bertens
rickym63 : RADWANSKA KONTAVEIT Vekic Suarez Navarro Giorgi Ostapenko Cibulkova Bertens
udaneri : KEYS KONTAVEIT V. Williams Kerber Pliskova Ostapenko Goerges Cibulkova

GlennHarman
07-08-2018, 02:14 AM
Congrats to the 12 of you. I went out yesterday with Mertens, a pick that seemed to make sense at the time. But like several of the ones who have survived, I felt like I was living on borrowed time all week, since my day one pick was Radwanska, who survived 6 match points that day. I felt sure every day this week that it was my last. GH

rickym63
07-08-2018, 07:03 AM
yay! managed to make the second week AND got myself a pair of tickets for court 2 on magic monday. happy with that

nblaquie
07-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Good job. I went out yesterday with pliskova

kknudsen
07-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Do we know if this is the fewest number of people moving into the second week? Seems like it to me!

dave g
07-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Do we know if this is the fewest number of people moving into the second week? Seems like it to me!

I'm really not sure. I think there have been fewer, but I really don't know. If you really want to know the answer, I suggest that you post the question in the "Suicide Pool Questions" thread, which is more likely to be read by people who know.

the Moz
07-08-2018, 04:27 PM
well done to the 12 :thumbsup:

dave g
07-09-2018, 03:51 AM
Round of 16 picks. No No Picks today, so we have picks from all 12 survivors.

Cibulkova 4
Kasatkina 3
Goerges 2
Makarova 2
Ostapenko 1

Five picks from eight matches, and matches with picks playing each other.

Ten of 12 people survived.

kknudsen
07-09-2018, 08:07 AM
Amazing work everyone! I'm out with Makarova. Congrats to the remaining ten!

MeganFernandez
07-09-2018, 09:52 AM
there are still 10 people alive in this pool? You and the cockroaches will survive a nuclear attack.

barbarapotterfan
07-09-2018, 10:11 AM
there are still 10 people alive in this pool? You and the cockroaches will survive a nuclear attack.

The key to surviving this far has been to avoid taking any of the top 10 seeds in ANY round! Now the fun really begins trying to figure out who, besides Serena, will win in the quarterfinals.

MeganFernandez
07-09-2018, 09:46 PM
The key to surviving this far has been to avoid taking any of the top 10 seeds in ANY round! Now the fun really begins trying to figure out who, besides Serena, will win in the quarterfinals.

I would have done better in the Invitational Doubles SP this year than this crazy draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave g
07-10-2018, 03:37 AM
Into the quarterfinals! Everyone has picked.

Cibulkova 1
Bertens 6 vs Goerges

And then there were three

barbarapotterfan
07-10-2018, 07:01 AM
The Goerges-Bertens match has begun! We’ll soon know whether six of us survive another day or whether three of us are done.

ponchi101
07-10-2018, 07:36 AM
You have to phrase that better, Barbarapotterfan, because if six of you survive (Bertens), three will be done (Gorgeous). ;)

ptmcmahon
07-10-2018, 07:47 AM
If Serena loses (still not likely at this point) those who've already taken Girogi will be in trouble.

barbarapotterfan
07-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Well, Kiki couldn’t pull it off. Congratulations and good luck to the three remaining competitors. It’s been a lot of fun and we’ll do this again in late August at US Open.

kknudsen
07-10-2018, 09:20 AM
Giorgi played really well! Her level of play has certainly picked up this slam. I was rooting for Bertens, but good for Georges to make her first semi! Congrats to the three who live on!

liam_valid
07-11-2018, 04:17 AM
Looks like the final 3 have used Ostapenko and Goerges so it will be the Kerber and Serena picks that decide

dryrunguy
07-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Even though this is Wimbledon, and Wimbledon is the easiest major for a pool, I'm still a bit flabbergasted that two of the remaining contestants in the women's pool can actually beat the draw. I want whatever they've been drinking...

dave g
07-12-2018, 03:49 AM
Semifinal Pick Summary: Serena Williams 3:
Now there is no way to avoid a tie of some sort. If Serena loses, while all three will get a Suicide Pool medal, there will be a tie for Jon Wertheim's prize. If Serena wins and Angelique Kerber loses, then none of you will have a pick left when we get to the final and all three will get a Suicide Pool medal, there will be a tie for Jon Wertheim's prize. If Serena wins and Angelique Kerber also wins, then Jimmyzee51 will be without a pick, and blaker414 and eskimo_53 will go on to the final, be tied since their only pick left would be Angelique Kerber. At which point, both blaker414 and eskimo_53 will get a Suicide Pool medal, but will still need a tie-breaker for the Jon Wertheim prize.

So, if you are in the final tie (not match), you will need to come back for the Final Pick thread, even if Serena loses, because that is where the tie-breaker will be posted.

ptmcmahon
07-12-2018, 04:15 AM
So two people who could've saved Serena for final saved Kerber instead? Interesting.

liam_valid
07-12-2018, 04:58 AM
So two people who could've saved Serena for final saved Kerber instead? Interesting.

I think that’s right. Much more chance of Kerber beating Serena in the final than Ostapenko beating Serena

ptmcmahon
07-12-2018, 05:37 AM
My thinking being much more chance of Serena beating anyone in final than them beating her :)

blaker414
07-12-2018, 05:55 AM
Not sure if there are any rules in place for a tiebreaker but here are a couple of ideas for a tiebreaker that don't involve some sort of guess as to what will happen in the final but more along the lines of looking at our previous picks

- Fewest number of games or sets lost in the matches of our picks
- Fewest number of match wins by the players we picked after we picked them.

Either way this plays out, congrats to eskimo_53 and Jimmyzee51 for also making it this far!

dave g
07-12-2018, 06:30 AM
Not sure if there are any rules in place for a tiebreaker but here are a couple of ideas for a tiebreaker that don't involve some sort of guess as to what will happen in the final but more along the lines of looking at our previous picks

- Fewest number of games or sets lost in the matches of our picks
- Fewest number of match wins by the players we picked after we picked them.

Either way this plays out, congrats to eskimo_53 and Jimmyzee51 for also making it this far!

While those are nice ideas, people did not make their earlier picks with those objectives in mind. Any method that depends on prior picks will bias the results to whoever had the correct unannounced objective. So, I will only use objectives that are announced before people make their choices. Unfortunately, this leaves us with guesses about the final. Perhaps next I run a suicide draw pool, I will think enough in advance to announce the tie-break system in advance, which would allow me to use the tie-break systems that you have suggested.

dave g
07-12-2018, 06:32 AM
With Angelique Kerber winning, we are down to only two of the senarios: Serena loses which creating a three-way tie, or Serena wins which creates a two-way tie.

ptmcmahon
07-12-2018, 08:13 AM
Two way tie with both having Kerber left...still surprised neither took Kerber today and Serena in final.

the Moz
07-12-2018, 08:20 AM
Well done to the 2 winners! Let's hope they beat the draw :thumbsup:

Jeff in TX
07-13-2018, 07:29 PM
Congratulations to the winners on an incredible achievement given this year's results!

MeganFernandez
07-13-2018, 07:37 PM
Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave g
07-14-2018, 08:16 AM
Final Picks:

Both blaker414 and eskimo_53 only have Angelique Kerber left. So, no matter who wins the tournament, both of them win Suicide Pool medals.

However, we did need a tie-breaker for the Jon Wertheim prize. The tie-breaker information is as follows:

Question
blaker14
eskimo_53

Who will win?
Serena Williams
Angelique Kerber

How many sets?

#Games by winner - # games by runner-up

# Ace by Angelique Kerber

Thankfully, only the first tie-breaker question will be needed. :)

Drop-shot
07-14-2018, 09:31 AM
Well done eskimo for predicting the upset.

the Moz
07-14-2018, 09:36 AM
Well done eskimo indeed :thumbsup:

blaker414
07-14-2018, 11:39 AM
Congrats to Eskimo and thanks Dave for running the pool.