PDA

View Full Version : Have a question about our '06 Aussie Suicide Pool?

Moose
09-14-2005, 06:30 AM
dates: January 16-29 2006

first picks due before start of play 1/16/06

kjacobson
09-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Lookin' forward to my first tournament suicide pool. That sounds terrible. [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=hyst.gif]

Moose
09-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Lookin' forward to my first tournament suicide pool. That sounds terrible. [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=hyst.gif]

We'll be glad to have you on board, kjacobsen. Despite the name, it is a really fun game.

Sebastien447
10-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Will the Foster's be free?

Doll_Face
12-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Will the Foster's be free?

Yes indeed - Moosie is picking up the tab :P I understand Australia has wonderful seafood (hint hint for the Loser's Lounge). Which top player will be the first one in?

Hey you guys, I'm starting to get excited already. I hope all the players are ready and in tip top shape. 2006 should be awesome!

Sebastien447
12-15-2005, 11:52 AM
[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] GOOD BEER! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

only to drown out that fishy taste of course ;D

and get ready for backhand heaven sports fans, lil Richie has a reservation in the Top 10 ... +another Fed thumping ... +REVENGE against the greasy Spaniard!

[smiley=yes.gif] can't wait woot woot! [smiley=yes.gif]

any other random predictions for 06? ... let's keep track of 'em here

dryrunguy
12-28-2005, 06:34 PM

A word of advice...

Never pick Hrbaty to win a match.

And never pick against Rika Fujiwara.... She's the devil incarnate and will ruin a perfectly respectable person's chances to advance in the Suicide Pool...

Dry

Kirkus
12-28-2005, 06:38 PM

A word of advice...

And never pick against Rika Fujiwara.... She's the devil incarnate and will ruin a perfectly respectable person's chances to advance in the Suicide Pool...

Dry

[smiley=hyst.gif] Awww. Poor Dry.

thesupernova
01-11-2006, 06:36 AM
ok so i check out the uso suicide pool and i think ive got it figured out:
each day we pick a winner, if we're right we move on the the next round and if we're wrong we're out of the pool? how do you keep track of whats going on? ummmm i think thats it for now. im really excited to play:) thanks to jon wertheim, otherwise i would never have heard about this:)

Moose
01-11-2006, 06:43 AM
Supes:
Yeah, each day you'll log in, and pick one female and one male from the matches being played the next day. We'll post the draw for the days picks as soon as possible.

We keep a running scoreboard with all the games players, and their daily picks.

Remember though, once you pick a player, you cannot pick them again...so it is not a wise idea to pick Federer on Day 1.

If you lose on one side, though, you can continue to play on the other...meaning, if your womens pick loses, you can still play the mens game.

And be sure to check out the Loser's Lounge...

Any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Doll_Face
01-12-2006, 08:23 AM

A word of advice...

Dry

Let it go, Dry, let it go ...

I for one will never forget Srebotnik (sorry 3mlm, but it still cracks me up) [smiley=laugh.gif]

IceBud241
01-12-2006, 11:38 AM
i posted this question in another thread, sorry.
do we have to sign up for the survivor pool somewhere, or will there be a link once the draw comes out?
any help is appreciated.
thanks.

Sebastien447
01-12-2006, 11:50 AM
There are instructions in a thread up above this one, and really not much of a process to play ... just find the threads named "Suicide Pool Predictions," and post. The daily schedule of matches will be posted on TAT at some point every day, but you can also find that info on your own.

Good luck!

shariq_g
01-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Hey another person making it here through Jon Wertheim. I'm going to be slightly busy the next couple of days so is it okay if I put down my mens and women top half / mens and womens bottom half picks right now in case I don't get time to put them on the correct days?

If so these are my picks.

Mens Top Half - Novak Djokovic

Mens Bottom Half - Taylor Dent

Womens Top Half - Maria Kirilenko

Womens Bottom Half - Anna Lena Groenefeld

Again, let me know if this is not ok. If so I'll try and repost once the order of play becomes known.

Moose
01-12-2006, 05:55 PM
that will keep you covered for Day 1 and Day 2, verk..we'll get them in for you...tomorrow morning there will be threads for the Mens and Womens picks for each day, be sure to go to those threads when making your picks in the future.

shtexas
01-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Hey another person making it here through Jon Wertheim. I'm going to be slightly busy the next couple of days so is it okay if I put down my mens and women top half / mens and womens bottom half picks right now in case I don't get time to put them on the correct days?

If so these are my picks.

Mens Top Half - Novak Djokovic

Mens Bottom Half - Taylor Dent

Womens Top Half - Maria Kirilenko

Womens Bottom Half - Anna Lena Groenefeld

Again, let me know if this is not ok. If so I'll try and repost once the order of play becomes known.

Djokovic! A player I am following closely. I think he may be the real deal. But, in '07 or '08.

As Moose promised, we will have the threads up in the morning and you can re-post there or we will do it for you if you don't have the chance. Welcome to the board!

thesupernova
01-13-2006, 07:12 AM
Hi, I don't have internet a home, so I was hoping to make my selections today. I tried to wait until you had the actual threads to post in but I'm leaving work in a couple of minutes and don't want to miss out. Hope this is ok. Thanks:

Men Top Half - Gael Monfils
Men Bottom Half - Robby Ginepri

Women Top Half - Ai Sugiyama
Women Bottom Half - Lucie Safarova

Thanks Again!

shtexas
01-13-2006, 07:42 AM
Hi, I don't have internet a home, so I was hoping to make my selections today. I tried to wait until you had the actual threads to post in but I'm leaving work in a couple of minutes and don't want to miss out. Hope this is ok. Thanks:

Men Top Half - Gael Monfils
Men Bottom Half - Robby Ginepri

Women Top Half - Ai Sugiyama
Women Bottom Half - Lucie Safarova

Thanks Again!

That's fine. We'll move them in when the threads go up. Moose and I have been discussing whether to put the threads up now or wait until we know which halves go on day 1 and which go on day 2. Because, if we put them up early, we will have to reorganize everything.

di-10S
01-13-2006, 11:51 AM
post me in too (going away so don't know if i'll hop in to post in tiime!)

Mens draw: Kevin Kim

Women's: Schiavone

if i lose out already i'm getting an alias!

Moose
01-13-2006, 11:55 AM
di-10S:
If you need to post in advance, you need to make a mens and womens pick from each half of the draw. We don't know which half is playing Monday, and if you don't have both halfs picked, you'll liable to be elimanted if the choices you made here don't play on Monday.

Kirkus
01-13-2006, 04:54 PM
How do I make my first pick. I've tried responding to a thread but I'm having trouble. Thanks for the help!
What kind of troubly, jqw?

If you want to PM your password to me, or email to Kirkus@talkabouttennis.com, I'll see what the problem is.

shtexas
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM

Please come back di-10S! Both of your picks are day 2 players. You need to pick for day 1.

Kirkus
01-13-2006, 11:20 PM

Please come back di-10S! Both of your picks are day 2 players. You need to pick for day 1.
I'll fire off a quick email. Hopefully di-10S will get it in time.

lrakotom
01-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Is there a poll for doubles ? How do I know which halfdraw play first ? I am really giddy about this poll !!!!! Go Randriatefy !!!!!

shtexas
01-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Is there a poll for doubles ? How do I know which halfdraw play first ? I am really giddy about this poll !!!!! Go Randriatefy !!!!!

Go to the threads that read "AO day 1 mens suicide pool picks" and "AO day 1 womens suicide pool picks". The schedules are there. Make your pick in each of those threads.

And no, we are not doing doubles. As many will find out, singles is tough enough.

Moose
01-14-2006, 10:31 AM

Anyone expressing love for "Hello, Dally" deserves a hello, and props from the Moose.

Shtexas said it best, you'll be surprised how hard it i to get through. When we started the game last year, we thought...oh challenging, but difficult? Nah....boy did we fool ourselves.

The only time we ever ran a doubles game was when our fearless leader, Big Daddy K(irkus), dumped out of both the mens and womens game in the 1st round...we ran a Mixed Doubles game just for him. Ohsorry, Kirkus, I wasn't supposed to bring that up again, was I?

likembrave
01-15-2006, 04:59 PM
I have a question....do we only post our picks on the next day's thread after we know if our pick from the previous day has won? Or can we post early and then if our previous pick loses, then you nullify our pick and we move on to the loser's lounge? I'm a newbie, so I'm just asking.

Moose
01-15-2006, 05:07 PM
if you need to, you can go ahead and post them in the thread at any time...with the time differences, it might be hard for some of our pelayers to get them in on time if they have a late match.

Shtexas and I will find a way to navigate through this

oohsalmon
01-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Aaaaah unforeseen injury to Morigami! Is there any sort of way that injuries mean exemptions?

Moose
01-15-2006, 05:23 PM
not if the match had begun, sorry oohsalmon. ITs one of the hazards of the sport. Since play had begun, its considered a loss under Slam rules. And therefore, a loss in the game.

Youre still alive in the mens game, please keep playing there!

lrakotom
01-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Thanx for the response .... it doesn't look good for "Hello Dally", down a set right now. I played against her in mixed double when we were both 14. Obviously, she got slightly better than me at tennis ( if only my knees didn't give up :-) Oh the possibility !

Go to the threads that read "AO day 1 mens suicide pool picks" and "AO day 1 womens suicide pool picks". The schedules are there. Make your pick in each of those threads.

And no, we are not doing doubles. As many will find out, singles is tough enough.

Charlie02123
01-16-2006, 03:00 AM
Hi I have a question. I know that there is a winner for the men's side and a winner for the women's side, but is there an overall winner? It seems like the person who does the best in the two pools combined should get some recognition for consistency...

Moose
01-16-2006, 05:31 AM
yes, Charlie...we'll come up with a way to award an overall winner. Of course, with the massacre that happened on Day 1 in the Womens Game, the WTA winner might be someone that survives to Day 3.

Charlie02123
01-16-2006, 08:38 AM
yes, Charlie...we'll come up with a way to award an overall winner. Of course, with the massacre that happened on Day 1 in the Womens Game, the WTA winner might be someone that survives to Day 3.

Good :)
Funny stuff with the women's draw. Four 17-32 seeds go out and they are all suicide pool favorites. It sucks for the people who chose them, but Golovin, Koukalova, Sugiyama, and Garrigues have greatly increased MY chances in the suicide pool. So there is a silver lining in that whole mess ;) Now I just hope I can make it to day 3. Come on, Michaella Krajicek!

Moose
01-16-2006, 10:36 AM
good luck with that Charlie...but I think Krajicek is a very safe pick for Day 2. It looks like a lot of the remaining players are trying to catch their breath after yesterday's catastrophe's and are trying to find safe matches.

BTW, glad to have you here at TAT. Have seen you on ESPN, know you are a Kim fan. I'm kemspeaks over there.

Charlie02123
01-17-2006, 02:12 AM
good luck with that Charlie...but I think Krajicek is a very safe pick for Day 2. It looks like a lot of the remaining players are trying to catch their breath after yesterday's catastrophe's and are trying to find safe matches.

BTW, glad to have you here at TAT. Have seen you on ESPN, know you are a Kim fan. I'm kemspeaks over there.

Oh wow. I had no idea. Hey!! Cool stuff, there are more ESPN people on here than I thought. I happy that all the miserable ones stayed over there, though :) Krajicek did pull through for me yesterday, I was very pleased. My next pick is Kuznetsova, who should be able to get through in straights but you never know after her dissapointing 2005. I hope I can keep going in the women's pool because I'm out of the mens (stupid Monfils). I really want to make it to the final so I can finally pick Kim! I refuse to pick her any earlier than that so I will have to make it to the final so she can win the pool for me. Good luck on your picks too if you're still in.

sarlitos
01-18-2006, 02:03 PM
It is still a long way to the quarter-finals but do you have to choose two quarter-final picks (if the quarter-finals are played on two days)? If that is the case, it means that your two quarter-final picks must lose in the semi-finals.

shtexas
01-18-2006, 02:21 PM
It is still a long way to the quarter-finals but do you have to choose two quarter-final picks (if the quarter-finals are played on two days)? If that is the case, it means that your two quarter-final picks must lose in the semi-finals.

I had this problem at the USO. I had to pick Ginepri one qf day (Agassi was in the other qf match that day) and Hewitt the other qf day(Federer was in the other qf match that day). That left me with Agassi and Federer still open in the semis.

Bottom line sarlitos is that you have to plan ahead to make sure you have the right players open.

shtexas
01-18-2006, 02:46 PM
I believe at Wimbledon you get a break since they do all of the 4th round on one day, and all the qfs on one day.