PDA

View Full Version : Our Pool Makes SI Mailbag News Again!

Moose
01-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Like what he said about "strategizing" necessary to play the game...and its nice of him to give TAT a global audience.

After reading your stuff, I've signed myself up for the Aussie Open Suicide Pool, and so I'm wondering: Who did you pick for day one? It's my first time, and I'm really hoping good old Jonas Bjorkman and Dally Randriantefy aren't gonna disappoint me.
-- Jennifer Wong, Shanghai, China

I feel duty-bound to confess that I sagaciously picked Annabel Medina Garrigues. Which is to say, I did not survive the first round. (Ouch!) This pool is fun, in part because of the strategy. You're not just picking winners, but doing so strategically since you can only tap a player once. In other words, I didn't want to "waste" my first-rounder on Davenport or Justine Henin-Hardenne since I wanted them available as the tournament progressed. I picked AMG on the grounds she was a seed who came in playing well and who was facing a player -- Zuzana Ondraskova -- I had scarcely heard of. Next time, I'll know better and take someone like Tszvetana Pironkova.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_wertheim/01/18/aussie.mailbag/2.html

Thanks Jennifer...and glad you joined us. And sorry about Dally and Jonas.

For those interested, Jon's handle in the game is Jon D-oh!

lrakotom
01-18-2006, 10:44 AM
I want to go on record and I say that Jon D'Oh is the best writer that SI has had in a long while. My biais towards tennis related stuff notwithstanding, he just "gets" both the international and local perspectives on tennis and any other subjects. Silver, Dr. Z and Burns are close but Jon is at the top. I will now get myself a life :-)

shtexas
01-18-2006, 10:52 AM
For the record, I believe Jon D-oh! did a solid job with the women's draw at last year's USO.

Moose
01-18-2006, 11:11 AM
For the record, I believe Jon D-oh! did a solid job with the women's draw at last year's USO.

yes he did, shtexas...he got to (I believe) Day 11 or 12 of the Womens draw.

But JCF killed him early on the mens side.

blueblueberry
01-19-2006, 06:18 AM
Hey, now when I search my name on Google I'll get 2 hits! I really have enjoyed this suicide pool, even though my time was cut short by Jonas and Dally (was I the first person to have BOTH sides of my butt in the losers' lounge?). This is SO much fun! And I don't regret picking the players that I did, cause I would have hated myself if I had made a safe pick like J2H on the first day and then not have her to pick come finals time. And on a side note, now that Hewitt's out too...is there ANY doubt that Roger is going to win this thing? On the women's side I'm still, as always, rooting for J2H, so don't disappoint me!