PDA

View Full Version : FO 2018 Bracket Prediction Challenge

James7
05-24-2018, 04:11 PM
Start of play deadline is the start of tournament play: 11:00AM in Paris France on the Sunday 27th. Note what time that is for you locally.

Entry Form: Deadline Start of play on day one

ATP: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/SlamBracket/bracket.php?tour=ATP&tournament=French
WTA: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/SlamBracket/bracket.php?tour=WTA&tournament=French

Picks And Score Tracking:

View ATP Scores: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/SlamBracket/picks_edit.php?tournament=French&tour=ATP
View WTA Scores: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/SlamBracket/picks_edit.php?tournament=French&tour=WTA

What is it?
This is a separate prediction contest for Slam events. Predict the full brackets for ATP and/or WTA events, and earn bonus points in later rounds for guessing or getting close to game totals for matches from the Quarterfinals on. This IS a medal awarding contest. A medal will be awarded to the overall score leader for each WTA and ATP top scorers.

How does it work?
After the bracket is finalized and prior to the first round of play, participants select match winners for the full bracket. Additionally, participants are asked to guess how many games will be played in each of the QF, SF, and finals matches. Brackets for WTA and ATP events are separate.

Points are awarded as follows:
Each correct bracket pick (having the correct player in that part of the draw) awards one point for each slot correctly filled for the first round. The second round results increase to 2 points each, third round 3 points each, and so on. This forms the majority of the overall prediction score.

Bonus points are awarded for how close you come to game totals in each of those matches. This is regardless of who ends up actually contesting them, so you can still earn points here even if your player picks are off.
5 bonus points for getting the exact game count in that match
4 for being within one game
3 for being within 3 games
2 for being within 5 games
and 1 point for being within 7 games
If a retirement takes place, the number of games played until the retirement is the 'correct' answer for that match, and a walkover is treated as playing 0 games.
Prediction and bonus points are added together to form a final score for the event.

There will be a pick tracker so you can follow scoring as it occurs, complete with some plots of the data and breakdowns of choices in real time. Other player picks are not visible to you until after the deadline passes.

What do I need to do to participate?
Nothing beforehand as long as you have a valid TAT account and are logged in.
Entries will need to be made before the start of main draw play and a thread will be up in order to do that at least one day prior to the start of first round play.
Entries may be redone as many times as you like up until the deadline (start of play the first day).

As before, any feedback is welcome.

This thread is intended for discussion and questions regarding the challenge.

Thanks, and good luck to all!

James7
05-24-2018, 04:14 PM
Open Early for entries, but please try to update your entry after qualifiers are placed.

James7
05-25-2018, 11:37 AM
Qualifiers are placed.

Good luck!

Madame
05-26-2018, 10:03 AM
done ! :)

James7
05-29-2018, 12:41 PM
"Sort-of, but not quite" Round 1 update:

Omegadoom and tenedab both lead the ATP with 49 points (of 64; a few matches undecided)

Meanwhile, oploskoffie, ptmcmahon, and sokoll have mirrored a 49 point performance on the WTA side of things.

Woody
05-29-2018, 12:48 PM
On the men's side I noticed R64_8 shows both players as having lost. Also tululops appears to have two entries, with a few different picks.

James7
05-29-2018, 01:06 PM
On the men's side I noticed R64_8 shows both players as having lost. Also tululops appears to have two entries, with a few different picks.

Thanks for the heads up. Both will be addressed shortly.

Edit: Done.
Also noticed the same for R64_13 where like Zopp, Stakhovsky went from "Qualifier" designation in the original form to "Lucky Loser" in the results tracker.
Also fixed TennisAnyone's unnamed qualifiers.

James7
05-30-2018, 10:52 AM
Round 1 finalized results:

New England Nitemare slipped into the ATP lead by one point with the conclusion of the outstanding R1 matches with a total of 52.

No change in the WTA triumvirate of Round 1 leaders. Total went to 50.

Current leaders differ while R2 play is in action.

TennisAnyone74
05-30-2018, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Both will be addressed shortly.

Edit: Done.
Also noticed the same for R64_13 where like Zopp, Stakhovsky went from "Qualifier" designation in the original form to "Lucky Loser" in the results tracker.
Also fixed TennisAnyone's unnamed qualifiers.

Thanks! I was out-of-town and couldn't get to it.

TA

James7
05-31-2018, 03:38 PM
With Round 2 play complete we can take another look at the standings.

New England Nitemare has opened up a slight lead in ATP field. Helped along with a R2 best score of 52/64 possible points.

In the WTA oploskoffie and ptmcmahon are tied atop the standings. These two along with New England Nitemare again scored a best 48/64 points in the second round.

ptmcmahon
06-01-2018, 06:36 AM
71% people just lost a semifinalist, 42% lost a finalist, and 16% lost their winner on the women's side.

dollymix
06-01-2018, 06:46 AM
With Ostapenko and Azarenka already out, only Woody has a player still alive that can fill that semifinal spot (Keys).

ptmcmahon
06-02-2018, 04:35 AM
Well, I'm three up in the WTA but just lost my winner, Kvitova. 29% had her winning - tied for highest with Simona. 42% had her in final, and 81% her in semis.

ptmcmahon
06-02-2018, 05:26 AM
And down goes a third semifinalist for me. Most popular semifinalist in that quarter too - 48%. 19% had her in final, 10% winning. Halep is the only one left picked by more than 6% to even reach final.

James7
06-04-2018, 04:13 PM
A quick look at the standings before we move into the slightly more volatile QFs.

Omegadoom leads the ATP contest with 160 ahead of New England Nitemare at 154.

In the WTA contest Jeff in AZ has the lead with a score of 136 ahead of New England Nitemare again at 134.

Jeff in TX
06-04-2018, 10:49 PM
Amazing that I am anywhere close to a lead in any round - I'll take it as my 15 seconds of fame, since I don't have a single semifinalist left.

GlennHarman
06-05-2018, 06:02 AM
I'm in 5th on the ATP and tied for 6th in WTA. This is SO much better than I usually do that I feel like I'm winning!!!

GH

Woody
06-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Oh wow, I'm leading WTA! There's a first time for everything!

James7
06-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Oh wow, I'm leading WTA! There's a first time for everything!

You were unique in being the only one to correctly pick both bottom half semifinalists. In fact, every other played didn't get either of them right, let alone 2. And as a result you are the only one out of anyone to have a live bottom finalist pick.

And I think you have fair odds of being the only player to correctly pick all 4 semifinalists. Which would be a huge achievement.

In the ATP absolutely no one got correct bottom semifinalists (not really a surprise there; some did have Djokovic) while a few do have Thiem correct (8) as well as some (6) having him in the final.

Woody
06-06-2018, 06:36 AM
3 for 3, and Halep is coming back!

Woody
06-07-2018, 04:14 PM
Based on the max possible scores, I think I got my 2nd award, yay me! I'd like to especially thank the Americans for playing well on clay.

James7
06-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Heading into the finals we can do another pre-wrap checkup of the standings.

The WTA contest is effectively over Woody has amassed a score of 166 ahead of the final being played. The next closest theoretical max score is at 164 assuming full points scored and would be contingent on Woody also scoring more points.

The ATP contest is closer. Pione Sisto holds a slight edge over Omegadoom heading into the finals, but there's possible outcomes for either. Madame is also in the mix for tying the lead, but I have not examined bonus possiblities close enough to see if that can occur or if Pione Sisto has Madame shut out already.

I'm pretty sure this is the first actual case of someone being fully and completely unassailable before it was over, so congrats again, Woody.

James7
06-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Woody has won the WTA contest, more than 10 points clear of second place. Congratulations!

James7
06-10-2018, 09:06 AM
Congratulations to Pione Sisto for winning the ATP contest, 3 points ahead of Omegadoom and 5 points ahead of Madame and FEBravo!

dryrunguy
06-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Congratulations to Woody and Pione Sisto! Your medals have been awarded!

tenedab
06-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Congratulations to Woody and Pione Sisto! Well done!

the Moz
06-11-2018, 04:20 AM
well done winners!

Jeff in TX
06-11-2018, 05:00 PM
Great job! Congratulations to both winners!