PDA

View Full Version : 2018 FOSP Losers' Lounge

munchin
05-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Please join us (and most of you will) in the legendary suicide pool losers' lounge. Belly up to the bar to commiserate with your fellow suicide pool players about that ill-advised Ivo Karlovic pick (why don't we ever learn?) or your utterly misplaced confidence in Anastasija Sevastova. Ā la Vôtre!

Scotty
05-21-2018, 05:23 PM
So, it's not Tati lip-syncing to 'Barbie Girl', but let's start with a nice dose of French cheese from the 80s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAYD9tiTKUQ

JTContinental
05-22-2018, 08:35 PM
QgGK4qBTwpw

ponchi101
05-23-2018, 11:30 AM
Will anybody beat the draw in the women's side?
In the men's?
When will the women's SP end?
The men's?
Will there be a day in which one of the pools will be slashed by 1/2? 2/3? 3/4?
Will the first person in this lounge make it here before breakfast time, First Sunday, East coast time?
Who is the highest seed we must avoid at all cost?

ptmcmahon
05-23-2018, 02:51 PM
If Miami and Indian Wells are any indication (I was 1-4 combined), I should be looking at the Sunday morning breakfast menu for sure.

Highest seeds to avoid? I'll say Sock for the men (though a couple above I wouldn't pick past round one.) For women, I'm not touching Sloane with my picks if I can help it.

dave g
05-23-2018, 03:05 PM
Will anybody beat the draw in the women's side? No
In the men's? No
When will the women's SP end? Monday of second week
The men's? Wednesday of second week
Will there be a day in which one of the pools will be slashed by 1/2? 2/3? 3/4? Yes, several actually, :axe:is the usual victor in the suicide draw pools
Will the first person in this lounge make it here before breakfast time, First Sunday, East coast time? No, most people will have started breakfast, but not finished breakfast before the first person is out. ;)
Who is the highest seed we must avoid at all cost? I will probably avoid Querry and Sock. I would add Madison Keys to ptmcmahon's list.

mysterX
05-23-2018, 07:12 PM
As long as Nadal is in top form, there is a decent chance for folks to beat the draw on the men's side. You just have to figure out the other three quarters of the draw ;)

Moose
05-26-2018, 08:23 AM
So, it's not Tati lip-syncing to 'Barbie Girl'

NOTHING is Tati lip-syncing to “Barbie Girl”

ptmcmahon
05-27-2018, 07:52 AM
Will the first person in this lounge make it here before breakfast time, First Sunday, East coast time?

Dr. Ivo just sent 24 people here...is it past breakfast time? I ate hours ago but I'm both an hour ahead of Eastern time, and working.

ptmcmahon
05-27-2018, 11:55 AM
28 of us Parmentier pickers very nervous in a second set TB (down a set.)

Correspondent Kiu
05-27-2018, 01:30 PM
Who is the highest seed we must avoid at all cost?

Too many questions buddy!

Ill answer the last...WOZ!

Correspondent Kiu
05-27-2018, 01:35 PM
Wow... I just realized a ton of people picked Venus and Konta.

Please pull bus behind bar in charter parking!

dryrunguy
05-27-2018, 02:03 PM
Wow... I just realized a ton of people picked Venus and Konta.

Please pull bus behind bar in charter parking!

Yeah, and now there's pretty much no one left to stop my Day 1 pick, Petra Martic, from making the quarters. :mad:

soraethewitch
05-27-2018, 03:26 PM
Picked Ivo and Venus.. well, that was quick.

pinckleman
05-27-2018, 04:13 PM
Picked Taylor Fritz so out on the men's draw.

ptmcmahon
05-28-2018, 05:48 PM
Yeah, and now there's pretty much no one left to stop my Day 1 pick, Petra Martic, from making the quarters. :mad:

That's looking a little ahead isn't it? :)

dryrunguy
05-28-2018, 06:22 PM
That's looking a little ahead isn't it? :)

Well, I had to try to something to get Martic to lose at some point. After all, I don't have suliso's grand and reliable jinxing powers.

ptmcmahon
05-29-2018, 10:14 AM
Highest seeds to avoid? I'll say Sock for the men (though a couple above I wouldn't pick past round one.)

13 of you should've listened to me...

Martini4me
05-29-2018, 10:48 AM
I guess I was destined to lose here today. From what I've seen of her, Van Uytvanck didn't seem like the type to thrive on clay. Then I saw Witthoeft against a totally unknown wild card, ranked somewhere around 350. A quick look at Witthoeft's recent results didn't seem promising though, so I kept looking. Aha, Mattek-Sands is back from injoury, but has only one won match this year. And even better, Larsson, her opponent, had just won a tournament, so she's obviously comfortable on clay.

False logic!

jmhohnj
05-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Feli, you’re deli but this result is quite smelly!

Correspondent Kiu
05-29-2018, 07:37 PM
I'm am officially in.
Lopezized!

mysterX
05-29-2018, 09:23 PM
I just want to say that Protected Rankings have been a boost for me getting past the first round in both contests. Now I have to think for myself, which is where the problems start.

improbabledream
05-30-2018, 08:03 PM
I would'nt say that Berdych is on my do not pick list, but he is on my I hate you and I want to punch you list.

ponchi101
05-31-2018, 03:44 AM
Gavrilova going down on flames with 19 of us on board.
And one Bernarda Pera picker looking downright genius. Very brave and smart.

And..... done.
I would just like to know who this Pera girl is. This was a case of betting against the unknown, and we know how that usually goes.
Please, huge amounts of beer. I could use a few.

texasniteowl
05-31-2018, 03:56 AM
Well, I guess this cements my dislike of Gavrilova. Shame on me for picking her.

Edit: I still don't like her that much, but yay! She escaped!

omess
05-31-2018, 04:57 AM
out of the pools, a jack daniels for me please

aidsasis
05-31-2018, 05:22 AM
Gavrilova pickers amazingly escaped!

ponchi101
05-31-2018, 05:59 AM
How on earth did that happen? Did we just spend all of our luck for the next 73 suicide pools?
I went to work sure my life was over! ;)

the Moz
05-31-2018, 06:52 AM
Dr Ivo got me Day 1 and now Cornet Day 4. Bottle of heineken and a shot of Jack Daniels please.

JazzNU
05-31-2018, 07:26 AM

And..... done.
I would just like to know who this Pera girl is. This was a case of betting against the unknown, and we know how that usually goes.

I wish I saw this match so I understood why you thought you lost to the point of posting in here. Pera is a talented young-ish Croatian-American player, been playing well through the clay court season, definitely one to watch.

Drop-shot
05-31-2018, 07:32 AM
I learned my Gavrilova lesson during TSIP. No way I was going to pick her on clay.

Correspondent Kiu
05-31-2018, 08:39 AM
Gavrilova gave you all lova and y'all complain?

HAHAHAHA!

ponchi101
05-31-2018, 08:45 AM
I wish I saw this match so I understood why you thought you lost to the point of posting in here. Pera is a talented young-ish Croatian-American player, been playing well through the clay court season, definitely one to watch.

Because the dark cloud that is wrapped around my head makes me feel like my pick will inevitably lose his/her match when they go down 0-15, first game of the first set. :)
Gavrilova was done match point and two breaks down in the second. It looked like a done deal.

shtexas
05-31-2018, 09:33 AM
Glad I missed the Gavrilova drama. Happy to move on. My back-up pick was Coco, which tells you how tenuous my hold is.

patrick
05-31-2018, 10:14 AM
Pera was the last USA WTA standing at AO

mysterX
05-31-2018, 10:34 AM
Pera was the last USA WTA standing at AO

Serena may disagree.

JazzNU
05-31-2018, 10:53 AM
Serena may disagree.

This year, not last when Serena won. But I think Madison Keys would disagree with that.

improbabledream
05-31-2018, 11:16 AM

And..... done.

She played really well at that green clay tournament in Charleston, losing in the quarterfinal to Keys. That was the first I had heard of her.

atlpam
05-31-2018, 01:59 PM
She played really well at that green clay tournament in Charleston, losing in the quarterfinal to Keys. That was the first I had heard of her.

The first I heard of Pera was when she won her match to bounce me out of the Aussie Open Suicide Pool this year!

ptmcmahon
05-31-2018, 05:09 PM
Glad I missed the Gavrilova drama. Happy to move on. My back-up pick was Coco, which tells you how tenuous my hold is.

Reading this thread was very confusing after seeing earlier the Gavrilova had won (and I had picked her too.)

ponchi101
06-01-2018, 08:50 AM
Carreņo Busta just dumped 1/2 of the men's pool here. Lots of cheap sidra for everybody.
Damn, that was ugly.

dryrunguy
06-01-2018, 08:55 AM
What in fresh hell was that, Pablo?

texasniteowl
06-01-2018, 12:23 PM
wow, take a little nap after watching keys, and wake up on my backside thanks to Carreno Busta. just what did I do to you PCB?

JazzNU
06-01-2018, 12:59 PM
A double suicide for me. And while I knew one was a huge risk, I didn't think PCB would stink up the joint so royally.

improbabledream
06-01-2018, 06:08 PM
Well you you should know that mr. Carreno Busta is at this point far better on hard courts than anywhere else. Even that bum jack sock beat him at RG. But you all did better than me i lost with berdych and svitolina, and you know like, they totally should have won and lost soon therafter! I am most agrieved but this happens.

ponchi101
06-02-2018, 03:28 AM
And there I go with Rybarikova. I had Tsurenko in my TSIP team, got me almost nothing. And now she kicks me out of the SP.
:cry: But better than at the Aussie.

texasniteowl
06-02-2018, 03:52 AM
Well, I made it to day 6 on the men and day 7 on the women. that is pretty good for me. Still, Rybarikova goes on my personal "do not pick" list.

aidsasis
06-02-2018, 05:48 AM
Rybarikova sent me here, too...

New England Nitemare
06-02-2018, 07:37 AM
Oh, well...that was quick, was cruising along here.... then disaster struck first Carreno Busta yesterday and now Rybarikova today. Now I can add two more folks to the "do not pick" list....:mad:

Next stop....Wimbledon

nelslus
06-02-2018, 09:56 AM
I was initially going to take Garcia. But, in my NYC-vacation-addled brain last night, I saw others picking Rybarikova, and I thought to myself, HEY there, nelslus*, Rybarikova looks like a mighty fine option, especially as Begu at any point can play tough (ha), even though so can Tsurenko (ha, ha.)

AND I know that most say to go with your first choice. Except there have been times when I've not used my first choice, and I got through. Then there are other times when it has not worked out.

BTW, this is all very simple. Eventually, every player will be on your DNP list. :cheesy:

(*Of COURSE I always call myself nelslus. Wouldn't you? :gorgeous:)

ponchi101
06-03-2018, 07:38 AM
And the very bad awful horrible day finally got here.
Txs Strycova!!!

oploskoffie
06-03-2018, 08:00 AM
Well poop. And well done Sloane pickers. I thought I did well to avoid Strycova today... :lipsrsealed:

ptmcmahon
06-03-2018, 08:30 AM
As right as I was with the "don't touch Sock" prediction, my don't pick Sloane prediction is looking pretty foolish now.

Federex
06-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Pretty sure it is the first time I made both updated threads and then double KOed immediately...
Thanks Goffin, and Strycova..

dryrunguy
06-03-2018, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure which is worse... Getting bounced out of both pools after getting about half way there in both or confronting the reality that you did what you did based on or what you thought was going to happen in future rounds, but none of that actually transpires. And you feel dumber than a bag of rocks.

Irena2
06-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Worst for me is ignoring that nagging feeling that your pick is 50-50 (Rybarikova) but you pick them anyway because you don't want to be boxed out in a different part of the draw in a future round, and everything that you thought was going to happen in that different part of the draw actually does play out the way you think it will, so you just get more ticked off at your player for preventing you from completing your plan. Cheers to all the Rybarikova pickers.

Correspondent Kiu
06-04-2018, 07:30 PM
Well....I am just about out of picks. All my picks were seeds and now...I have to go with unseeded
PUTINTSEVA Yulia KAZ

Bmoney316
06-04-2018, 08:42 PM
Worst for me is ignoring that nagging feeling that your pick is 50-50 (Rybarikova) but you pick them anyway because you don't want to be boxed out in a different part of the draw in a future round, and everything that you thought was going to happen in that different part of the draw actually does play out the way you think it will, so you just get more ticked off at your player for preventing you from completing your plan. Cheers to all the Rybarikova pickers.

Nailed my exact thoughts. I took Serena a round earlier and got that out of the way, since I was guessing she wasn’t going to survive 2 more rounds. Only to take Strycova vs a player I really like. Would’ve taken Keys but wanted to save her..guess I’m saving Keys for Wimbledon.still kicking myself.

ponchi101
06-05-2018, 12:37 PM
BTW:
We have to remember this SP for one reason: the legend of Marco Cecchinato. This man single handedly took out the Carreņo Bustas, the Goffins and now the Novaks.
How shall we call him? Cecchinato il Destructore does not quite make it.

shmrck14
06-06-2018, 09:41 AM
Ugh, sooooo very close. I had to pick Kerber if I wanted a chance to make it one more day and tie for the win. I had already taken Halep and I think Muguruza is going to win the whole thing so planned on picking her (or Maria) for semis.

Was fun while it lasted,

JTContinental
06-06-2018, 10:06 AM
Ugh, sooooo very close. I had to pick Kerber if I wanted a chance to make it one more day and tie for the win. I had already taken Halep and I think Muguruza is going to win the whole thing so planned on picking her (or Maria) for semis.

Was fun while it lasted,

Tbh, I thought you were going to be the only person to survive today when I was looking at the picks.

Chad1
06-06-2018, 11:25 AM
I'm technically still alive, but Maria, my great hope, lost, so the 4 semifinalists are my last 4 picks. The other still-living competitor hasn't picked Keys yet (amazing picks, JieOllily0001!), so I guess I'll get silver, at least?

In any case, it's been fun!

ptmcmahon
06-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Highest seeds to avoid? I'll say Sock for the men (though a couple above I wouldn't pick past round one.) For women, I'm not touching Sloane with my picks if I can help it.

Because clearly, I wanted everyone to save Sloane as long as possible. I was pretty much 100% right and 100% wrong with these.