PDA

View Full Version : AO 2018 Bracket Prediction Challenge

James7
01-11-2018, 09:34 AM
Start of play deadline is the start of tournament play: 11:00AM in Melbourne Australia on Monday the 15th. Note what time that is for you locally.

Entry Form: Deadline Start of play on day one
[Please note there is some delay in placing qualifiers! If you do enter beforehand, please remember to try to revisit and re-submit your bracket once qualifiers are placed so those names show up properly in your entry]
ATP: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/SlamBracket/bracket.php?tour=ATP&tournament=Australian
WTA: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/SlamBracket/bracket.php?tour=WTA&tournament=Australian

Picks And Score Tracking:

View ATP Scores: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/SlamBracket/picks_edit.php?tournament=Australian&tour=ATP
View WTA Scores: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/SlamBracket/picks_edit.php?tournament=Australian&tour=WTA

What is it?
This is a separate prediction contest for Slam events. Predict the full brackets for ATP and/or WTA events, and earn bonus points in later rounds for guessing or getting close to game totals for matches from the Quarterfinals on. This IS a medal awarding contest. A medal will be awarded to the overall score leader for each WTA and ATP top scorers.

How does it work?
After the bracket is finalized and prior to the first round of play, participants select match winners for the full bracket. Additionally, participants are asked to guess how many games will be played in each of the QF, SF, and finals matches. Brackets for WTA and ATP events are separate.

Points are awarded as follows:
Each correct bracket pick (having the correct player in that part of the draw) awards one point for each slot correctly filled for the first round. The second round results increase to 2 points each, third round 3 points each, and so on. This forms the majority of the overall prediction score.

Bonus points are awarded for how close you come to game totals in each of those matches. This is regardless of who ends up actually contesting them, so you can still earn points here even if your player picks are off.
5 bonus points for getting the exact game count in that match
4 for being within one game
3 for being within 3 games
2 for being within 5 games
and 1 point for being within 7 games
If a retirement takes place, the number of games played until the retirement is the 'correct' answer for that match, and a walkover is treated as playing 0 games.
Prediction and bonus points are added together to form a final score for the event.

There will be a pick tracker so you can follow scoring as it occurs, complete with some plots of the data and breakdowns of choices in real time. Other player picks are not visible to you until after the deadline passes.

What do I need to do to participate?
Nothing beforehand as long as you have a valid TAT account and are logged in.
Entries will need to be made before the start of main draw play and a thread will be up in order to do that at least one day prior to the start of first round play.
Entries may be redone as many times as you like up until the deadline (start of play the first day).

As before, any feedback is welcome.

This thread is intended for discussion and questions regarding the challenge.

Thanks, and good luck to all!

James7
01-13-2018, 10:15 AM
Bump

It looks like there is going to be some problems getting qualifiers in place before tournament start. I've altered things to number them in the meantime.

Worst case, I'll have to do some "surgery" to the entries. Inconvenient, but I'll deal with it.

But it would help me out if you can try to re-submit picks after qualifiers place with actual names (those picks may "vanish" from your entry in that case). Assuming that actually happens before the tournament starts.

Thanks!

the Moz
01-13-2018, 10:46 AM
thanks James :)

ptmcmahon
01-13-2018, 07:24 PM
Good. I was starting to stress out that you wouldn't know I have a strong feeling about Q7 vs Q6 ;)

James7
01-14-2018, 05:11 AM
Qualifiers are placed. If you can edit your picks via the tracker before start that would be helpful.

"Revise/Edit your existing entry" second link on the tracker pages.

Thanks!

tenedab
01-14-2018, 05:45 AM
Good. I was starting to stress out that you wouldn't know I have a strong feeling about Q7 vs Q6 ;)
Why Q6 is afraid of Q7?

ptmcmahon
01-14-2018, 05:51 PM
Qualifiers are placed. If you can edit your picks via the tracker before start that would be helpful.

"Revise/Edit your existing entry" second link on the tracker pages.

Thanks!

Sorry, this is the first time I was online today so I still have a bunch of Q#'s picked...I at least re-did it last night so they're aren't just Q.

Charlie02123
01-14-2018, 05:59 PM
Why Q6 is afraid of Q7?

Because seven ate nine. ;)

ptmcmahon
01-14-2018, 06:02 PM
That's a couple rounds later.

James7
01-14-2018, 08:43 PM
Thanks for mostly getting it cleaned up. I see only a couple of things I have to go in and edit a little later. Hopefully I can get those solved tomorrow.

EDIT: Should be fixed up now. Let me know if you see anything I missed.

James7
01-15-2018, 06:03 AM
Looks like most TAT named Federer the overwhelming favorite on the ATP side.

WTA was less consistent, but TAT favors Svitolina.

"Random" has named Shapovalov and Linette as breakthrough winners.

We shall see who is closer. ;)

GlennHarman
01-15-2018, 06:31 AM
After yesterday's results I am COMPLETELY hopeless in this competition. Maybe I can get the last-place prize, which I hear is monetarily about as valuable as the top prize. I'm looking forward to it. Best wishes to all.

By the way, many thanks to you who organize this. These contests always increase my enjoyment of the tournament, even with my usual dismal performance. GH

James7
01-16-2018, 06:13 AM
A quick look at the standings after round 1.

On the ATP side, Miles had the best round 1 predictions and put up 50 points (of a possible 64).

On the WTA side, suliso correctly pegged 51 matches.

Everyone managed to put a good gap between themselves and random pick results.

I generally consider first round results among the most challenging to predict, so bravo!

EDIT: Added in "Pick the highest ranked player to win" logic in TATHighest. Some fell behind this basic idea, however, even despite the number of bigger name R1 upsets.

Charlie02123
01-16-2018, 12:32 PM
A quick look at the standings after round 1.

On the ATP side, Miles had the best round 1 predictions and put up 50 points (of a possible 64).

On the WTA side, suliso correctly pegged 51 matches.

Those are really high scores. I play racket bracket on the Tennis Channel website.

The ATP high score is 52 (6700 entrants)

The WTA high score is 53 (4500 entrants)

PeterSkan
01-16-2018, 02:09 PM
I'm not clear on what the "In Play" amount signifies. Can you explain svp?

suliso
01-16-2018, 02:58 PM
Those are really high scores. I play racket bracket on the Tennis Channel website.

The ATP high score is 52 (6700 entrants)

The WTA high score is 53 (4500 entrants)

We are both very stable geniuses

James7
01-16-2018, 03:51 PM
I'm not clear on what the "In Play" amount signifies. Can you explain svp?

In play are "potential points". I.e. points you can still gain based on your remaining picks. This decreases if your later round picks have been eliminated, and as points go from "potential points" to actually scored (or lost).

PeterSkan
01-16-2018, 11:24 PM
In play are "potential points". I.e. points you can still gain based on your remaining picks. This decreases if your later round picks have been eliminated, and as points go from "potential points" to actually scored (or lost).

Thanks

James7
01-18-2018, 05:34 AM
Round 2 update:

Miles grows his lead slightly on the ATP end. With another 64 points having been up for grabs in R2, he now holds 90.
The best individual scorer for R2 however was mysterX with 46 of the possible 64. mysterX is now in a 4 way tie in second place (including the flat logic pick of the higher ranked player to win each match in there).

On the WTA side, suliso is also holding steady in first with a total of 87. The best individual R2 scorer was dryrunguy with 38 of the possible 64 points who is now sitting in second at 84 total. "Higher ranked player wins" logic is not doing quite as hot on the WTA side and has slid down the rankings after round 2.

In both brackets Random selection seems to have safely secured it's bottom finish already, though it did face a little competition on that front of the WTA end.

dollymix
01-18-2018, 08:35 AM
In both brackets Random selection seems to have safely secured it's bottom finish already, though it did face a little competition on that front of the WTA end.

You say that, but Random's chosen WTA winner, Magda Linette, has a nice-looking path to the semifinals over Allertova, a 15-year-old Kostyuk or an injured Svitolina, and Kumkhum/Martic/Cornet/Mertens after that...

suliso
01-18-2018, 08:58 AM
Funny, but I actually have a much better chance of winning ATP side despite now being 8 points behind. My WTA max available is low as I've already lost a finalist and semi finalist...

James7
01-20-2018, 04:58 AM
Round 3 update time!

Miles maintains the same margin on his ATP lead over second place dave g. Both tied with best R3 performance of 27 points along with munchin.

On the WTA end, dryrunguy has wrested the top spot from suliso who now is in second. yoort, however, put up the best R3 performance with a very impressive 30 points.

James7
01-22-2018, 07:15 AM
Time for another quick update.

ATP:

In a bit of a shakeup, dave g has now tied with Miles in first place, both with 129 points. Almost half of participants tied for best R4 performance at only 16 points.

WTA:

texasniteowl (130) has snatched the lead away from dryrunguy (127) who is now second. A handful of people managed a round-best 24 points.

JazzNU
01-22-2018, 07:31 AM
It's literally a miracle I'm not in last place given the choices I made didn't remotely pay off. I'm assuming it's only a matter of time.

fastbackss
01-24-2018, 09:36 AM
Time for another quick update.

ATP:

In a bit of a shakeup, dave g has now tied with Miles in first place, both with 129 points. Almost half of participants tied for best R4 performance at only 16 points.

WTA:

texasniteowl (130) has snatched the lead away from dryrunguy (127) who is now second. A handful of people managed a round-best 24 points.

Quick update before James7 opines in more detail.

But - Bonus points!

ATP: mysterX has moved to the lead over dave g due to bonus points. (8 vs. 3, which was enough to assume the lead by 2). Miles and waylandboy-tw are two points back. dave g has the highest possible score remaining.
Only waylandboy and texasniteowl got 10 points in the last round. 10 points, incidentally, is the highest bonus total accrued to date.

WTA: Sluggo-13 has moved into the lead by 2 points over omegadoom. There is a four way tie four points back from the lead. Sluggo has the highest remaining points total.

Four players got 15 points in this round. 10 was the highest bonus total.

TATHighest is beating five players, despite having no bonus points. It would be six if bonus were included.

dave g
01-24-2018, 09:53 AM
Quick update before James7 opines in more detail.

But - Bonus points!

ATP: mysterX has moved to the lead over dave g due to bonus points. (8 vs. 3, which was enough to assume the lead by 2). Miles and waylandboy-tw are two points back. dave g has the highest possible score remaining.
Only waylandboy and texasniteowl got 10 points in the last round. 10 points, incidentally, is the highest bonus total accrued to date.

WTA: Sluggo-13 has moved into the lead by 2 points over omegadoom. There is a four way tie four points back from the lead. Sluggo has the highest remaining points total.

Four players got 15 points in this round. 10 was the highest bonus total.

TATHighest is beating five players, despite having no bonus points. It would be six if bonus were included.

I was looking at the scores shortly before you posted and my response was "wow". I was surprised to be the only person on last round's "leader board" to still be on this round's "leader board". I was so concentrated on figuring out whether I would be able to pass Miles, that I had not considered the possibility of mysterX passing me. This contest is going to go down to the wire.

James7
01-24-2018, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the update without me needing to! :)

It looks like dave g is in the strongest ATP position heading into the last 3 matches of the tournament. mysterX barely ovetook him with some fortunate game total picks, but having no match points available will mean that the lead probably won't stay there. My bet will be on dave g holding out just based on the standings and remaining wiggle room.

On the WTA end Sluggo-13 now holds the lead and has all 3 match picks alive as well, so is in good position. However does not have as much lead as in the ATP end, so shifting is more possible here. Of note in those in good position to challenge the lead is none other than dave g again (also with remaining picks all alive).

Good luck!

Side note: Remember that all tables in the report pages are order-able by clicking on headers!

GlennHarman
01-25-2018, 02:14 AM
And at the other end of the spectrum......I have surged into last place in the WTA bracket (excluding TAT Random). There are a precious few of you who are bravely keeping me out of last place in the ATP bracket, but I'm close, and that elusive double title of last in both might still be attainable. GH

GlennHarman
01-25-2018, 02:16 AM
By the way.....To those of you who run the Bracket Challenge and YCWJ: I promise that I don't actually TRY to suck at these contests. It simply comes naturally to me.

Thanks greatly for running them. I enjoy them a ton. GH

James7
01-25-2018, 06:21 AM
Scores are updated through (yesterday's?/today's?) play.

It's a tight one.

James7
01-27-2018, 05:26 AM
With the conclusion of the Women's tournament, congratulations to texasniteowl for winning the pool atop a peerless overall predictions performance!

texasniteowl
01-27-2018, 05:32 AM
holy $^*#! what?! how did that happen?! seriously! wow! Thanks!

dryrunguy
01-27-2018, 05:39 PM
texasniteowl, your medal has been awarded!

Ribbons
01-27-2018, 06:01 PM
Congrats, owl! :)

*looks at own predictions*
:hyst:

James7
01-28-2018, 05:29 AM
Congratulations also to dave g, who won the ATP contest also with the best prediction score. :)

I think this also marks the closest I've personally gotten to winning something. ;)

dave g
01-28-2018, 06:00 AM
That was really close. Just one point over OmegaDoom, and two points over James7 and waylandboy-tw.

And also, "Yeah! My first bracket prediction medal."

dryrunguy
01-28-2018, 12:03 PM
Congratulations, dave g! Your medal has been awarded!