PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Can you see the AMitS banner?

Kirkus
12-30-2017, 09:52 AM
There's some question as to if the banner for A Month in the Sun is displaying for everyone - top-right. Can you see it?

I put it up on Tuesday, the 26th, but I'm afraid not everyone can see it.

ponchi101
12-30-2017, 10:46 AM
Can't. Mozilla Firefox 57.0.3, automatic signed in.
I can see the Annual drive link.

texasniteowl
12-30-2017, 11:06 AM
Both.

Actually, the answer was no. But, if I disable Adblock Plus (Chrome) then I do see it. As soon as I re-enable ABP, the AMitS banner is gone again.

GlennHarman
12-30-2017, 11:26 AM
I see it fine. GH

ptmcmahon
12-30-2017, 11:40 AM
Yes, but no adblockers active.

dave g
12-30-2017, 11:43 AM
No, I can't see it. But since I am on my step-mother's computer, I do not know if the ad-blocker is on, and I am reluctant to turn the ad-blocker off if it is on. I won't get to my computer until late tomorrow night.

Kirkus
12-30-2017, 02:23 PM
Ahhhh. Ad blockers!

OK. My apology. I assume you can all see the AMitS line in the announcements block?

I'll stop doing the banners and do contest links and announcements there instead.

JTContinental
12-30-2017, 02:56 PM
I do see a link in the center, but no banner

texasniteowl
12-30-2017, 03:48 PM
Ahhhh. Ad blockers!

OK. My apology. I assume you can all see the AMitS line in the announcements block?

I'll stop doing the banners and do contest links and announcements there instead.

Right below the funds drive in the yellow block? Then yes! I turned my adblocker back on to check and yes, the line about AMitS is there.

skatingfan
12-30-2017, 03:49 PM
Yeah, my ad blocker gets rid of the AMITS banner.

ponchi101
12-30-2017, 04:36 PM
Same thing with Ad Blocker here. I gave TAT an exception and the link appeared.

Kirkus
12-30-2017, 04:45 PM
Those of you who have an ad-blocker and could not see the banner, can you see it now, even with your ad-blocker running?

I've removed the link from it and now it is just an image, so I think it should appear for everyone.

skatingfan
12-30-2017, 06:11 PM
Those of you who have an ad-blocker and could not see the banner, can you see it now, even with your ad-blocker running?

I've removed the link from it and now it is just an image, so I think it should appear for everyone.

No, my ad blocker still thinks you're trying to sell me something.

texasniteowl
12-30-2017, 06:44 PM
No, my ad blocker still thinks you're trying to sell me something.

Same. I can see the link in the yellow announcement box, but not the banner at the upper right.

Ti-Amie
12-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Sorry. No banner but I see the link in the announcement section. Ad blocker enabled using Opera 49.0

Kirkus
12-30-2017, 09:56 PM
Wow. Weird.

Okey dokey. Thanks everyone! :yes:

Kirkus
12-30-2017, 10:48 PM
Hmm. Wouldya look at that. I just installed an ad-blocker in Chrome and I, also, can't see the banner. I also don't see our Google ads (MJ mentioned that it might be because of ad-blockers). Who knew? Well, apparently you all did. LOL.

BTW, I won't be disabling it any time soon. :)

ptmcmahon
12-31-2017, 05:03 AM

So since that didn't make it show up for people with ad-blockers... can the link be re-added? :) That's how I usually get to it. If not, no biggie obviously.

texasniteowl
12-31-2017, 07:05 AM
I'm no expert...haven't done any html/css/etc. in years...but, is it possible to rename the div class and div id to see if the use of "ad_global_header" and "ad_global_header2" as the names...specifically the "ad" part is the issue? In other words, if the prefix "ad" wasn't there, would the AMitS banner show even with adblockers active? Of course...might be more trouble. :beer:

atlpam
12-31-2017, 08:16 AM
Shows up for me, using Firefox on my Mac

Kirkus
12-31-2017, 10:18 AM
So since that didn't make it show up for people with ad-blockers... can the link be re-added? :) That's how I usually get to it. If not, no biggie obviously.Absolutely. Done. :)

Kirkus
12-31-2017, 10:21 AM
I'm no expert...haven't done any html/css/etc. in years...but, is it possible to rename the div class and div id to see if the use of "ad_global_header" and "ad_global_header2" as the names...specifically the "ad" part is the issue? In other words, if the prefix "ad" wasn't there, would the AMitS banner show even with adblockers active? Of course...might be more trouble. :beer:

That's a good question. Possibly. But everything is hard coded except the a href and img src tags and I'd rather not mess around under the hood.

dryrunguy
12-31-2017, 10:28 AM
Yup, I can see it now. Thanks, Kirk!

Kirkus
12-31-2017, 11:10 AM
Let's try this... can you all see the ad for AMitS that is above the RPBs? It's making through my ad-blocker.

ptmcmahon
12-31-2017, 11:26 AM
Thanks for putting link back. And right now I can see both.

ponchi101
12-31-2017, 11:46 AM
Can see both

texasniteowl
12-31-2017, 12:01 PM
Yes. with my adblocker back on I can see the one in the right sidebar.

Ti-Amie
12-31-2017, 12:12 PM
I couldn't see the banner when I was online before. Now I can see it and the announcement. :)

Kirkus
12-31-2017, 01:41 PM
I like the idea of a graphic rather than just a line of text in the announcement area. So I think we'll try the little ones above the RPBs and see how it goes.

Again, my apology for so many of you not knowing about AMitS until the last minute. :(

ptmcmahon
12-31-2017, 09:39 PM
Don't feel too bad...it's not a new contest and was all over the RPB boards!

skatingfan
01-01-2018, 04:21 AM
I like the idea of a graphic rather than just a line of text in the announcement area. So I think we'll try the little ones above the RPBs and see how it goes.

Again, my apology for so many of you not knowing about AMitS until the last minute. :(

I'm not going to blame anything for not participating this year, other than it's so cold and I was working all weekend that thinking of tennis just wasn't really a priority, but it would be helpful if the threads showed up in the new posts section when they are first set up. For some reason the regular contest threads don't show there when they are first created.

ptmcmahon
01-01-2018, 05:47 AM
I see 6 of them in the "recent contest boards" right now, and know I saw some over the last 3-4 days...but I know I don't see them when I go to "new posts" unless there is a "reply" to them.

Kirkus
01-01-2018, 09:06 AM
I'm not going to blame anything for not participating this year, other than it's so cold and I was working all weekend that thinking of tennis just wasn't really a priority, but it would be helpful if the threads showed up in the new posts section when they are first set up. For some reason the regular contest threads don't show there when they are first created.

I see 6 of them in the "recent contest boards" right now, and know I saw some over the last 3-4 days...but I know I don't see them when I go to "new posts" unless there is a "reply" to them.

The RPBs (Recent Post Blocks) on the side display threads with new posts in descending order with the most recent at the top. The lists appear the same for everyone. However, if you click on the thread title, you should be taken to the first post in that thread that you have not yet read. That action is member dependent.

The "New Posts" page works in a similar way. The difference being that a thread will not be displayed there at all unless it contains posts that you have not yet read. So that, too, is member dependent.