PDA

View Full Version : Are you being locked out of the forum?

Kirkus
06-11-2017, 10:22 PM
I'm working with a member who experiences an inability to connect to our forum for as long as several hours a day. This member receives a "DNS" error. It seems to be random, but it does happen several times a week.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

If so, please post about it in this thread.

JTContinental
06-11-2017, 10:28 PM
So far nothing like that here

ponchi101
06-12-2017, 08:29 AM
Have been able to read and post.

James7
06-12-2017, 09:06 AM
I'm a little amused by the existence of a poll that really boils down to the question: "Are you able to take this poll?". ;) Wouldn't any potential access issue preclude taking it by definition?

shtexas
06-12-2017, 10:29 AM
I'm a little amused by the existence of a poll that really boils down to the question: "Are you able to take this poll?". ;) Wouldn't any potential access issue preclude taking it by definition?

The problem is mine. I first mentioned it here last November or December. We assumed it was my service provider (AT&T) because we use AT&T at the office as well.

The problem is I get a DNS error on the computers at either home or office and I cannot get in through Tapatalk or regular on my phone either.

If I turn off the wifi on my phone when this is happening, 1/2 the time, I can get in and 1/2 the time I cannot.

Plus, over these many months, I have been at lots of offices and restaurants with wifi and the same thing happens. They cannot all be using the same providers and the city is rather large, so it is not limited to one area of the city.

I can lose the ability to get in at different times of day (or night), for several hours. Over the last three days of RG, I could not get in up to 6 hours per day. That was the worst three days.

James7
06-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Have you tried manually setting your DNS to 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4?

Kirkus
06-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Not if the problem is intermittent. Smarty pants. :p

Kirkus
06-12-2017, 11:00 AM

Those are Google's servers, right?

mysterX
06-12-2017, 11:30 AM
I have not had any issues with being locked out of the forum.

Incidentally, I live in Dallas (the city, not a suburb) and have AT&T as my broadband provider.

James7
06-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Those are Google's servers, right?

Yes. Google's DNS servers.

fastbackss
06-12-2017, 01:52 PM
I have had it occur to me sporadically. Sadly it has occurred infrequently enough that I did not even take care to "note" the situation or what might have caused it. Typically a refresh a few minutes later cures it.

Kirkus
06-12-2017, 09:58 PM

shtexas, maybe try James' idea.

shtexas
06-12-2017, 11:07 PM
shtexas, maybe try James' idea.
I think I did it. Of course, I've had no trouble today anyway.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Woody
06-12-2017, 11:08 PM

Selection bias at its finest :)

Woody
06-12-2017, 11:14 PM
When this is happening, go to a command prompt and type:

nslookup www.talkabouttennis.com

it tells you which server is providing the lookup and then the resolution, which for me is 67.225.165.39

You can also do an ipconfig /all and check that there are at least 2 DNS entries configured for every active connection. Ping each of those DNS servers and make sure they respond.

If that's all good, you can try this from a command prompt:

nslookup www.talkabouttennis.com x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x is the ip address of your dns server. Do this for each dns server and see if they're all giving the same result.

Because it's intermittent, it almost sounds like one upstream server somewhere has a stale record sitting around. Maybe?