PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED 2017 Women's FOSP Picks & Results

JTContinental
06-04-2017, 02:10 AM
Welcome to first class! You've stepped over the stinking corpses of the losers that came before you, and are now breathing the rarified air of the updated picks and results thread. However posh the digs, though, the cardinal rule still applies: when you're red, you're dead.

The Honor Roll:

coachmando Ostapenko--Bellis--Vondrousova--Rogers--Garcia--Bacsinszky--Cepede Royg--Kuznetsova

dowser55 Tsurenko--Putintseva--Suarez Navarro--Bacsinszky--Hsieh--Williams--Cepede Royg--Ostapenko--Svitolina--Mladenovic

gff0 Mattek-Sands--Bellis--Vondrousova--Mertens--Garcia--Wozniacki--Suarez Navarro--Stosur

I-Like-Good-People Ostapenko--Bertens--Vondrousova--Stosur--Garcia--Bacsinszky--Suarez Navarro--Wozniacki--Cornet

JieOllily0001 Kuznetsova--Stosur--Suarez Navarro--Putintseva--Sevastova--Bacsinszky--Garcia--Wozniacki--Svitolina--Ostapenko--Ka. Pliskova--Halep--No Pick

jmcguire Kvitova--Bertens--Sevastova--Wozniacki--Suarez Navarro--Kuznetsova--Garcia--Stosur

Mcrswan Williams--Flipkens--Suarez Navarro--Bacsinszky--Garcia--Wozniacki--Halep--Stosur

Patrick Kvitova--Bellis--Vondrousova--Wozniacki--Garcia--Bacsinszky--Suarez Navarro--Kuznetsova

JTContinental
06-04-2017, 02:21 AM
Day 8 numbers: 8 remain, after 1 zombie. Some of you are still living on borrowed time.

Samantha Stosur 3
Svetlana Kuznetsova 2
Caroline Wozniacki 2
Jelena Ostapenko 1

JTContinental
06-04-2017, 02:58 AM
That Sevastova choice was so bad that I'm removing you all from the updated thread.

omess
06-04-2017, 03:04 AM
So we have 8 left now

suliso
06-04-2017, 03:05 AM
That ponchi's prediction of winner by this Monday could be spot on...

JTContinental
06-04-2017, 03:08 AM
Only 6 are safely through to today, so far. Cepede Royg is down a se

ponchi101
06-04-2017, 04:27 AM
That Sevastova choice was so bad that I'm removing you all from the updated thread.

My feelings! You hurt my feelings! :cry: :cry: :cry:
(You are totally right. That one sucked in retrospect)

liam_valid
06-04-2017, 04:35 AM

I love this post!

ponchi101
06-04-2017, 04:57 AM
That Cepede Roig pick was bravery personified. Sorry for Coachmando who had Kustnetzona flame out.
At least one more will be out as Ostapenko/Stosur has pickers on both sides.

ponchi101
06-04-2017, 07:15 AM

nelslus
06-04-2017, 09:39 AM
The Honor Roll:

coachmando Ostapenko--Bellis--Vondrousova--Rogers--Garcia--Bacsinszky--Cepede Royg--Kuznetsova

dowser55 Tsurenko--Putintseva--Suarez Navarro--Bacsinszky--Hsieh--Williams--Cepede Royg--Ostapenko

gff0 Mattek-Sands--Bellis--Vondrousova--Mertens--Garcia--Wozniacki--Suarez Navarro--Stosur

I-Like-Good-People Ostapenko--Bertens--Vondrousova--Stosur--Garcia--Bacsinszky--Suarez Navarro--Wozniacki

JieOllily0001 Kuznetsova--Stosur--Suarez Navarro--Putintseva--Sevastova--Bacsinszky--Garcia--Wozniacki

jmcguire Kvitova--Bertens--Sevastova--Wozniacki--Suarez Navarro--Kuznetsova--Garcia--Stosur

Mcrswan Williams--Flipkens--Suarez Navarro--Bacsinszky--Garcia--Wozniacki--Halep--Stosur

nelslus--Bacsinszky--Putintseva--Suarez Navarro--Wozniacki--Garcia--Mladenovic--Great Choice

Patrick Kvitova--Bellis--Vondrousova--Wozniacki--Garcia--Bacsinszky--Suarez Navarro--Kuznetsova

Fixed. :gorgeous:

nelslus
06-04-2017, 09:46 AM
LOL, I was SOOOOO shafted no matter what.

Due to my V-Nut status, I had almost gone in and changed my pick (perhaps also due to me and everyone else in the world knowing that V was gonna lose to Brat-Shin-Skies, but I'd also already picked Hack-Stinks-See, so V was my only choice here), at which point I was gonna go with Probaby Kuzzie (I'd already chosen Caroline, who I wasn't gonna choose if I'd been given that option), or Stosur. :cheesy:

Woody
06-04-2017, 09:52 AM
This is down to 3? Wow.

JTContinental
06-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Speaking of losers, I'm off to the Mariners game today, so check back tonight to see where you went wrong

dryrunguy
06-04-2017, 02:22 PM
This is down to 3? Wow.

Ponchi predicted it would all be over in the women's pool on the second Monday.

ponchi101
06-04-2017, 03:03 PM
It was a wild guess. The choices for tomorrow are all difficult but surely somebody will win. Picking Halep or Svitolina fairly lets you glide through, Pliskova would have been vulnerable but Cepede Roig won't be able to handle her serve. The one match to stay away from is Cornet/Garcia and, well, stay away from it.
My general gist was correct, though. We have been losing like 40% per day. At Wimby, with grass as a factor, lets see how fast we get (strawberry and) creamed.

I Like Good People
06-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Picking Halep or Svitolina fairly lets you glide through, Pliskova would have been vulnerable but Cepede Roig won't be able to handle her serve. The one match to stay away from is Cornet/Garcia and, well, stay away from it.

This is a tough day. I think Pliskova gets beat by Svitolina in the Semis (unless one of the French ladies upset her) and that Svitolina may win the whole thing so it is hard to burn either yet unless you truly believe the winner is coming out of the other side of the bracket. I think Svitolina beats Halep if they meet but I fear picking Halep as she has played Navarro 5 times on clay and guess who has won all 5? She may be the upset special.

That leaves the one match you say to stay away from. So do you take a chance there or just pick either Pliskova or Svitolina (or Halep if you like her) and live to pick another day?

Things that make you go hhhmmmm....

JTContinental
06-04-2017, 06:43 PM
Tuesday Morning Quarterback--Day 7 & 8 (Roland Garros 2017 Edition)

Surprise, surprise--the Mariners won! You, however, did not, which is why you are here to see...

Where It Went Wrong For You, the Loser

Anastasija Sevastova (12 victims) TMQ said it best when he said, "????" PS--My last name sure sounds like some sort of stealthy weapon, doesn't it? As in, "Anastasija the Assassin slit my throat from ear to ear with her sevastova, and I watched helplessly as my life drained away onto the floor." No? Is it just me? --AA

Samantha Stosur (3 victims) I'm such a wily veteran that I tricked you into falling for a classic suicide pool trap, making an unreliable choice to go deep in the pool because I recently won a title. Guess what--I'm still unreliable! Sam

Svetlana Kuznetsova (2 victims) Caro is on a mission to take advantage of this easy top half draw, but also trying to make her advancement as dramatic as possible. Pick against her at your peril. --Sveta

Agnieska Radwanska (1 victim) The tour has finally figured out my game, and since I refuse to ever do anything different, it's good bye, top 10 for me.

Elena Vesnina (1 victim) If you are feeling sad about your loss today, just head over to the WTA and let the soothing, soft focus light of my profile photo make you feel alive again. The camera hates all the other girls on tour.

JTContinental
06-05-2017, 02:05 AM
Our final 3 have made their day 9 choices

dowser55 and JieOllily0001 both picked Svitolina, probably a safe choice, but could run into trouble down the line

I-Like-Good-People picked Cornet, a riskier choice, but leaves the favorites open for a later round

joanjettson
06-05-2017, 06:16 AM

This is the best twist in a reality show since both queens had to sashay away.

JTContinental
06-05-2017, 10:52 AM
This is the best twist in a reality show since both queens had to sashay away.

:D

TMQ never lip syncs with a veil on, either

ponchi101
06-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Ok. I missed the Monday prediction by two points that Martic did not convert. But I will take that as a Pyrrhic victory.

JTContinental
06-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Tuesday Morning Quarterback--Day 9 (Roland Garros 2017 Edition

Speaking of sashaying away, despite liking good people, I-Like-Good-People selected blast-from-the-past Alize Cornet for today's pick, was promptly run through with a very old baguette, and died in the back alley behind a trendy boulangerie. And then there were 2. ponchi's prediction of an early wrap up will have to wait at least one more day.

Where It Went Wrong For You, the Loser

Alize Cornet (1 victim) Sadly, my career is on the downslide. Could this be the beginning of a renaissance for me? Reply hazy. I do know that you won't be alive to find out. RIP --AC

Woody
06-05-2017, 12:58 PM
So on top, dowser55 has Woz and Mladenovic, while JieOllily0001 has Ostapenko and Mladenovic.
On the bottom, dowser55 has Halep, Garcia, Pliskova, while JieOllily0001 has Halep and Pliskova.

I don't think Garcia matters much, but I do think Woz is more valuable as an option than Ostapenko, I'm thinking dowser55 is the more likely winner, though both have pretty reasonable picks to beat the draw (I believe JieOllily0001 does need 1 fairly big upset to do so - either Ostapenko over Woz, or Mladenovic over Halep). But I was gone in week 1, so what do I know :)

suliso
06-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Ostapenko over Wozniacki is not that unlikely. H2h is 3-0 in favour of Alona.

Woody
06-05-2017, 01:14 PM

Oh wow, all very recent and 2 on clay. Interesting...

JazzNU
06-05-2017, 07:53 PM

Alona? Is a Bondarenko playing? Seriously though, isn't Ostapenko's name Jelena?

suliso
06-05-2017, 10:19 PM
On paper it is, but actually she calls herself Alona and Latvian press also always does. She is of Ukrainian descent.

JazzNU
06-06-2017, 05:40 AM
On paper it is, but actually she calls herself Alona and Latvian press also always does. She is of Ukrainian descent.

Very interesting. Thanks. I haven't seen much press on her at all here, no on-screen interviews where they might switch up what they call her based on her preference. And I never associated the name Alona as Ukrainian despite Bondarenko. Based on people I've encountered with it, I thought it was a Hebrew name.

sokoll
06-06-2017, 06:54 AM
And I never associated the name Alona as Ukrainian despite Bondarenko.

Alona (or Alyona) is very popular in Russia and Ukraine. Also with Elenas (Yelena, Jelenas depending on a spelling) close people often call them Alona and different forms of it. I am often called that by my mom and husband Alyonka, even though the official name is Elena

JTContinental
06-06-2017, 10:49 AM
Drama! Kiki's loss means our winner WILL be decided today (an possibly soon, if the rain stays away)

Ostapenko is currently up a break in the third set, and if she pulls out the victory, JieOllily will be our sole winner. Should Caro make a comeback and get the win, JieOllily and dowser will be co-champs.

JTContinental
06-06-2017, 10:55 AM
And Ostapenko reels off 5 straight games after the rain delay to crown our champion!

suliso
06-06-2017, 12:06 PM
To continue about the name: as far as I understand Jelena or Elena is the Russian version and Alona Ukrainian version of the same name. Her parents wanted to call her Alona, but were told there is no such name in the registry and it has to be Jelena. I think they'd be more permissive now.

suliso
06-06-2017, 12:07 PM
So she has never been called Jelena by anyone except in her passport.

sokoll
06-06-2017, 12:12 PM
To continue about the name: as far as I understand Jelena or Elena is the Russian version and Alona Ukrainian version of the same name. Her parents wanted to call her Alona, but were told there is no such name in the registry and it has to be Jelena. I think they'd be more permissive now.

Not sure if it is Ukranian version, in Russia there are also many Alonas I know and almost all Lenas called Alonka, Alona, Alyonushka often. My parents also were not allowed to name me officially Alona (nurses at hospital started calling me Alona because apparently they thought I looked like Alyonka from famous Russian chocolate bar :) and my mom decided to stay with the name, even though she had different name in mind before, lol), so they chose the official Elena. Now seems like everything goes :)

suliso
06-06-2017, 12:24 PM
I imagine you'd know better... The only thing I'm really sure about is the story she tells to the press.

sokoll
06-06-2017, 12:46 PM
I imagine you'd know better...

I mean I don't know if it's originally came from Ukraine long time ago, maybe that is the case, but in my time in Russia it was used often and popular

joanjettson
06-06-2017, 12:51 PM
Congrats, JieOllily! How do you say that name? :)

skatingfan
06-06-2017, 04:08 PM
Congrats JieOllily - that is a victory worth bragging about given the turmoil in the Ladies game these days.

dryrunguy
06-08-2017, 06:19 AM
Meanwhile, I'd like to congratulate my Day 1 women's pick (I lost on day 2), Timea Bacsinszky, for making the Roland Garros semis. :rolleyes:

ponchi101
06-08-2017, 06:40 AM
Lots of us picked Bacsinszky early in the contest, showing her a lot of respect.
And showing how much we know (well, #30 seed, I have to stop hammering myself for my errors).

JTContinental
06-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Halep wins, but our champ JieOllily0001 is out of picks, falling just one step short of beating the draw. Very impressive!

The Roland Garros 2017 edition of Tuesday Morning Quarterback has officially drawn to a close. Thanks to everyone who read and participated in our discussions. Next stop for TMQ will be the US Open!

suliso
06-08-2017, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the service, but are you skipping Wimbledon???

JTContinental
06-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Yes, Last Wimbledon was a nightmare with all the rain delays, so I'm just going to be a player this year...

ponchi101
06-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Thanks for running it, JT. Your TMQ were super fun to read. Look forward to your commentary at the USO.