PDA

View Full Version : Forum update this week?

Kirkus
03-22-2017, 11:45 AM
There's an update available for our forum software. Normally I would simply make an announcement then do the update. However, this current update requires that part of our server be updated first -- for those who know, we are currently running PHP 5.4.38 and would need to update the server to PHP 5.5 prior to applying the forum update.

I've always been insistent that we run the current version of our forum software. It's just good business. But I may put this update off due to the necessary server update that is required. OR... I may decide to just do it in the next hour, or day, and cross my fingers.

Anyway, if the forum goes offline at some point within the next few days, it will likely be that I've decided to move forward with the updates, and I'll keep any downtime as short as possible.

I'll update this thread within the next several days one way or the other.

dryrunguy
03-22-2017, 12:22 PM
If you plan to do the upgrade during the Miami tournament (just started yesterday), then it would be great if you could find time to do it after 11 a.m. EST. Just so it reduces the risk of interfering with posting suicide pool picks.

Kirkus
03-22-2017, 01:12 PM
If you plan to do the upgrade during the Miami tournament (just started yesterday), then it would be great if you could find time to do it after 11 a.m. EST. Just so it reduces the risk of interfering with posting suicide pool picks.

Oh, right. Of course. Thank you for reminding me. :yes:

ptmcmahon
03-23-2017, 03:05 AM
I'd also be fine if it went down for a couple days and we missed some more early round picks too ;)

Kirkus
03-23-2017, 10:11 AM
I've asked tech support to give me their opinion on how long the server upgrade will take and if they think it could cause any problems with the scripts (software) we run. If they feel confident it will go quickly and not cause any problems, I'm going to go through with it.

::

There will be two updates involved... 1.) Update the server to be able to run the newer version of our forum. 2.) Update the forum.

BTW, this isn't a major update. The way the forum operates and looks shouldn't change.

Kirkus
03-24-2017, 10:08 AM
Every couple of years an update comes along that wants to fight me every step of the way. *sigh*

The server update is one that can be reversed if it breaks anything. So that's good. But it's still not good enough for me. I'm going to set up a test site, using a copy our forum, and do both updates there before anything is done on our real forum. This is going to take some time.

I have the server update tentatively scheduled for next Friday, 12-noon (EST), assuming my test site updates go okay. That will be the most lengthy of the 2 updates and could see us offline for up to several hours. Then I'll do the forum update, possibly the Saturday or Sunday following.

I'd like it all done (and tested) before the French/Wimbledon SPs.

Kirkus
03-27-2017, 10:32 AM
The server update is scheduled for this coming Friday, the 31st, at Noon (EST). If everything goes well, and I have no reason to believe it won't, our forum will be offline for 1 to 1.5 hours.

Then, I will update the forum Friday night (Saturday morning) at Midnight (EST). The forum update could also go as long as an hour. That should be the end of it.

So, to recap, the forum will be offline as follows:
Friday, Noon - 1:30pm (EST)
Saturday, Midnight - 1:00am (EST)

Kirkus
03-31-2017, 02:36 AM
They had a little time overnight so the server was updated sooner than scheduled. As far as I can tell everything is as it should be. If you notice any issues, please post about it in this thread.

I have a thing I need to attend tonight, so I may not get to the forum update until after midnight (EST). I've done two test updates on a copy of TAT on my personal computer. Both updates went without a hitch, so I don't expect any problems. *knocks on wood*

I'll update this thread as needed.

Kirkus
03-31-2017, 10:13 PM
The forum has been updated now also. That includes all updates. Again, if you notice anything wrong please post about it in this thread.