PDA

View Full Version : 2017 IW/Miami Suicide Pool: Loser's Lounge

dryrunguy
03-07-2017, 07:24 PM
This is where you post about how silly you feel for making such a dumb pick. Or laugh at other people because you are feeling arrogant and are completely unaware that you are about to get double-cheeked yourself.

fastbackss
03-08-2017, 05:25 AM
This is where you post about how silly you feel for making such a dumb pick. Or laugh at other people because you are feeling arrogant and are completely unaware that you are about to get double-cheeked yourself.

I will be disappointed if this does not become the template text that appears in new Loser's Lounges going forward.

dryrunguy
03-08-2017, 11:04 AM
For Day 1 of the women's pool, I think we have 17 folks who picked Monica Puig while 13 folks chose a different loser.

dryrunguy
03-08-2017, 02:45 PM
The Ostapenko pickers are safely through. Damn it.

skatingfan
03-08-2017, 03:39 PM
The Ostapenko pickers are safely through. Damn it.

I guess that means you need a day two:confused:

dryrunguy
03-08-2017, 03:56 PM
I guess that means you need a day two:confused:

Yeah, but I'm drawing the line at Day 3.

Not. Doing. It.

(Have you ever heard about the restaurant in Maryland (?) where the servers treat the customers badly? I've always wanted to go. That's my model for the Indian Wells iteration of the Loser's Lounge. I plan to spend the next week+ dropping plates in front of you.)

dryrunguy
03-08-2017, 04:51 PM
The Bondarenko people never learn. I mean, really... How many years has this been a thing?

We also lost a Nara picker and a Bellis picker. (Sorry, that sounded dirty.)

Happy that Puig got through, though. That's who I had. And damn it, it's all about me.

JTContinental
03-08-2017, 05:31 PM
I think this might be the first time I've picked a first round winner at either Indian Wells or Miami. This "practice" suicide pool is so much harder than the real thing because you have to pick from scrub on scrub action for the first two days!

patrick
03-08-2017, 05:38 PM
Puig was the closest player to a seed IMO therefore, the pick

ptmcmahon
03-08-2017, 06:04 PM
That's a dangerous amount of logic you're applying :)

Drop-shot
03-08-2017, 06:15 PM
Dumb Nara.

dryrunguy
03-08-2017, 06:19 PM
Dumb Nara.

You want a hug?

That's not happening. :evil:

billytall
03-08-2017, 07:38 PM
Man....Errani made me sweat that one out. I guess I deserve it. I knew what I was in for. I'm a thrill seeker.

dryrunguy
03-08-2017, 07:45 PM
I know I promised to be mean in the Loser's Lounge, but I feel for the Mchale pickers. It was a solid pick. When was the last time Rodina won a tour-level match? I'm pretty sure it has been a while.

That said, back to being mean, I'm glad you all are out. So there.

JazzNU
03-08-2017, 08:19 PM
The Bondarenko people never learn. I mean, really... How many years has this been a thing? .

So long. And Alona is also trying to make a comeback.

But hey, appreciate them not heeding the warning. Makes my never-ending quest to win a SP once in my life a tad more likely. I've only won a Practice SP.

dryrunguy
03-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Makarova was the most popular pick in Day 2 of the women's pool, but really, y'all were all over the place. That should be good for at least some carnage.

James7
03-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Whoops. My easy Mens pick turned into a much less favorable matchup. I guess I need to try to be in the loop more.

dryrunguy
03-09-2017, 05:18 PM
So far today in the women's pool, we've only lost 1 Dodin picker, 1 Shvedova picker, and 1 Townsend picker. (I think.)

Things are tight so far for our biggest group--the Makarovas. I should probably apologize because that's who I have. But then again, you all should know by now to do something, anything different than I do. So it's y'alls own fault. My empathy meter is low.

ptmcmahon
03-09-2017, 05:48 PM
I originally picked Rogers until I realized Makarova had a much juicier matchup and went back and changed my pick.

Rogers is through...Makarova is down a set...will I never learn the rule about not changing your pick?

dryrunguy
03-09-2017, 05:57 PM
And there goes Makarova--out 4 & 2. She better be mostly dead. Who is this Sorribes person?

ptmcmahon
03-09-2017, 06:05 PM
And that's why we don't jinx our players by redoing our picks. Good reminder.

Bmoney3
03-09-2017, 06:27 PM
For Day 1 of the women's pool, I think we have 17 folks who picked Monica Puig while 13 folks chose a different loser. haha..brilliant! That's exactly why I took her..she did me in during the AO, so I gave her the chance to do it again

Bmoney3
03-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Good effort, Tiafoe..I barely broke a sweat with the men's pool..oh well

dryrunguy
03-09-2017, 08:12 PM
We started the women's pool with 30 players. After Day 2, I think we're down to 9.

I'm thinking the women's pool ends no later than this Saturday (as in The Day After Tomorrow).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku_IseK3xTc

ponchi101
03-09-2017, 08:34 PM
MAKARRONIIIIIIIIII!!!!!
That was brief... ;)

ptmcmahon
03-10-2017, 04:38 AM
And now double cheeked...this time for picking against a Canadian. This time following my rule failed me.

JazzNU
03-10-2017, 08:33 AM
The men's matchups today seem awful to me. Like a veritable Who's That instead of a Who's Who.

ptmcmahon
03-10-2017, 09:41 AM
I found today's list much easier than yesterday's (and I backed that up by losing yesterday!)

dryrunguy
03-10-2017, 11:05 AM
Nine people left in the women's pool. Three of you have Kasatkina. One each has Konta, Lucic-Baroni, Brengle, Cibulkova, Pavlyuchenkova, and Svitolina.

Go Pliskova the Lesser, Watson, Day, Vinci, Ostapenko, Kontaveit, and Wang!!!

texasniteowl
03-10-2017, 05:22 PM
It is not looking good for the 3 of us who picked Kasatkina. She is down 0-4 in the 1st.

dryrunguy
03-10-2017, 05:33 PM
It is not looking good for the 3 of us who picked Kasatkina. She is down 0-4 in the 1st.

Is Kasatkina even, well, there?

texasniteowl
03-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Well, Kasatkina did finally win 3 games.

That will teach me to change my first choice. (I had Pavy down first.)

JazzNU
03-10-2017, 07:07 PM
I had a bad feeling almost every matchup I considered for today on the women's side today, so not surprised at the loss. There were surprising H2H and not a ton of recent play that made it more difficult than it should have been. Oh well. Still in on the men's side. Not for long I'm sure.

dryrunguy
03-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Well, Kasatkina did finally win 3 games.

But that's the thing... If you get bageled in the opening set and you have three people's hopes on you for a suicide pool, even a practice one, you do the moral thing... You take the double bagel or retire citing Sharapovawildcarditis Fatigue Syndrome.

dryrunguy
03-12-2017, 11:22 AM
We actually had a No Pick in the women's pool, so we are down to three people. Today we have two Svitolinas and a Kuznetsova.

Bmoney3
03-12-2017, 12:56 PM
Rats..undefeated and forgot to make a Sunday pick..that stings especially when the deadline time is at a reasonable hour..boo me

dryrunguy
03-12-2017, 01:05 PM
Rats..undefeated and forgot to make a Sunday pick..that stings especially when the deadline time is at a reasonable hour..boo me

I know this is no comfort to you, but I'm actually glad you just plain forgot to pick. I was totally blindsided by the time change in most of the U.S. that moved everything forward an hour. Had I known that was happening, I would have tried to warn folks. But I only discovered it myself shortly before it was time to close threads.

My fear was that you may not have known about the time change and actually thought you had another hour to make picks. So for selfish reasons, I'm glad you just plain forgot. :)

Be sure to come back for the Miami practice pool!

ptmcmahon
03-12-2017, 01:08 PM
I was going to make fun of you for forgetting Dry...but there was one year when we were travelling through the states in the Fall. We had tickets to an NFL game but were stunned when we showed up for what we thought was an hour before the game to find a nearly empty stadium. Took us almost that full hour before we figured out it was the night clocks went back. In my defense we were in a different country and 2 time zones :)

dryrunguy
03-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Damn it. Kuznetsova won. Which means I have to do a Day 6 thread. Will you all just up and lose already? this is getting annoying.

skatingfan
03-12-2017, 04:56 PM
I wonder what would happen if you didn't make a thread for the next day - would people go ahead and pick anyway?

I feel like we're headed for a new a version of the 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas?' But it's 'How Dry stole the suicide pool?'

dryrunguy
03-12-2017, 05:12 PM
I wonder what would happen if you didn't make a thread for the next day - would people go ahead and pick anyway?

I feel like we're headed for a new a version of the 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas?' But it's 'How Dry stole the suicide pool?'

People really could do it by themselves, and as serious as people are about the pools, it would probably work pretty well. You'd just need one person with enough gumption to start the thread. And then others would follow.

Though eventually I'd see it, delete the thread, and claim the picks never existed. I can do that now in the age of alternative facts. :evil:

fastbackss
03-13-2017, 11:16 AM
We are dead, all dead.

Ponchi says that and his player grants a walkover. I am totally willing to concede defeat now because I am laughing heartily at this.

dryrunguy
03-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Ponchi says that and his player grants a walkover. I am totally willing to concede defeat now because I am laughing heartily at this.

As if that quarter of the draw wasn't horrific enough...

ponchi101
03-13-2017, 06:06 PM
The nice thing about your player being a wuzz an not taking the court is that he then can't pull a frigging Berdych against the smallest possible pokemon ever.

dryrunguy
03-13-2017, 06:47 PM
So, things are starting to wind down in both pools.

Between the Berdych and Pospisil losses, combined with Bautista-Agut not even taking the court, the men's pool is down to three players. Miles has Goffin (he just won the first set) while nelslus and I have the ever-reliable Fabio Fognini who has yet to take the court. (I seriously toyed with choosing No Pick.)

In the women's pool, dave g is safely through to pick again thanks to Vesnina, while nelslus and fastbackss are waiting for a Radwanska win. Unfortunately, she lost the first set. We COULD have a winner in the women's pool tonight.

Meanwhile, a shout out to nelslus for being the person to last the longest in both pools... And our hearts go out to tenor... :cheesy:

ponchi101
03-13-2017, 10:19 PM
So. This is over. On just the first Monday (which is a technicality, but not an alternative fact).
We just keep getting better and better at this stuff, aren't we?

dryrunguy
03-22-2017, 08:43 AM
Cici Bellis just withdrew. Because that's what you do when you find out everyone in the TAT women's practice pool got a bye on Day 1--and someone picked you.

patrick
03-22-2017, 08:48 AM
Who is going to replace her?

skatingfan
03-22-2017, 09:07 AM
Someone who lost yesterday.

skatingfan
03-22-2017, 09:10 AM
Cici Bellis just withdrew. Because that's what you do when you find out everyone in the TAT women's practice pool got a bye on Day 1--and someone picked you.

Who is going to replace her?

Someone who lost yesterday.

Or in a less obnoxious post - Magda Linette.

ptmcmahon
03-22-2017, 10:56 AM

:rolleyes: Well, I didn't even last an hour.

dryrunguy
03-22-2017, 12:19 PM
:rolleyes: Well, I didn't even last an hour.

At least your loser withdrew... My loser actually went out and lost a match after getting bunches of people through the early days of Indian Wells. Granted, I knew Ostapenko was a risky pick as Brengle accidentally wins a decent number of matches, but still...

texasniteowl
03-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Well...I don't know what the Dan Evans match looked like, but for the ATP side, he landed me here first thing.

At least my ladies pick, McHale, won. Thanks for that bye for Day 1...at least I now have 1 pick right.

Scotty
03-22-2017, 04:17 PM
We should totally use the video of that huge iguana scuttling across the court in Miami the next time there's a blood bath in the SP.

ponchi101
03-22-2017, 05:34 PM
Well...I don't know what the Dan Evans match looked like, but for the ATP side, he landed me here first thing.

At least my ladies pick, McHale, won. Thanks for that bye for Day 1...at least I now have 1 pick right.

Ditto for me. I will give him a pass and say that with the news coming from London today, he may have not been totally there.

Nah, what a wanker.

I am in tip top shape for the real SP at RG. Consistently losing in the first round, which shows I will lose IN THE SECOND when the real chips are down.

On with the girls.

Drop-shot
03-22-2017, 07:33 PM
In both pools I could not make ONE female pick that survived. Not one.

dryrunguy
03-22-2017, 07:52 PM
In both pools I could not make ONE female pick that survived. Not one.

You're still not getting any hugs.

Sorry, not sorry. :evil:

skatingfan
03-22-2017, 08:31 PM
Ugh

dave g
03-23-2017, 06:32 PM
At least this time when somebody withdrew, it wasn't my player but rather my players opponent. :)

ponchi101
03-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Way to go, Coco! But I'm happy that she lost.
See you at RG, guys.

dryrunguy
03-24-2017, 09:16 PM
A very unpleasant day in the men's pool...

Verdasco, 6
Mischa Zverev, 3
Dimitrov, 3
Simon, 3
Carreno Busta, 1

ptmcmahon
03-24-2017, 09:46 PM
I briefly was impressed with myself for a few seconds for changing from Simon...but I changed to Dimitrov...and I was worried it might be too soon!

the Moz
03-25-2017, 07:00 AM
I fall on Day 3 of both comps, and that was with a 1st round bye :wall:

ptmcmahon
03-25-2017, 07:29 AM
The way we all did that's almost bragging!