PDA

View Full Version : 2017 AO SKAN Contest

PeterSkan
01-10-2017, 10:45 AM
Welcome to 2017. Are you ready to test your mettle in the SKAN this year? Not for the feint of heart, for fear you might find yourself confined to the darker recesses of the SKAN chamber. It all depends on your picks ... 3 from the ATP, 3 from the WTA, where in each case the total sum of their CURRENT RANKINGS [note well, as opposed to their tournament seeding] is greater than 14. That means you have to make some choices - and what, pray tell, will you use to guide you?

The contest runs on an external site [and thanks, as always, to the TAT team for letting me promote it here], and the site host posed some interesting questions to keep in mind ...

WTA

Can Kerber play stress-free?
Was the Brengle-loss for Serena an indication of upcoming mayhem?
If Aggie can't win the Shenzen-slam, then does she stands a chance in a real slam?
Will a QF be enough for Halep once more?
How will the thigh-injury for Pliskova affect her chances?
Will we see top-Cibulkova or flop-Cibulkova?
Were the multiple 3-setters for Garbine in Brisbane an indication that there is still a lot of rust is her game
Will Keys be healed in time?
Is Kuznetsova really peaking at age 32?
Can Konta surprise anyone?

ATP

How will Andy deal with being the top seeded player?
Is Novak tennis depression-free?
Beating Nadal but losing to Dimitrov... what can we expect from Milos?
Will Stan surprise us once more?
Can Kei become a Japanese hero?
What to expect from clown Monfils?
Is Cilic up to the task of becoming a multi-slam winner?
Will Thiem crumble under the pressure of having to deliver in the name of the new generation?
Is Rafa still slam-winning material on HC? And what will his body say when he has to play 5 sets?
Will Berdych do enough to keep that top10 status?

Once you've puzzled this out, here's the link to enter:

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/slams/skanteam_submit.php?t_name=2017_AO_SkanCanTest

If you have trouble, let me know in this thread and we'll figure it out. BTW the site has a range of support features that help to track the results as the tournament unfolds.

Scoring is a bit complex, at least mathematically. But conceptually, it's simple. Your team earns points in three categories:

1. Victory: if a player on your team wins a match you get points
2. Quality: if a player on your team beats a player ranked in the top 32, you get points
3. Domination: you get points for how thoroughly a player on your teams beats their opponent; conversely, you lose points depending on how badly your player loses

Give your team a creative name, and tell us who your cheerleaders are. Based on the scores, the field of contestants is divided into four tiers. The names of the tiers changes with each round. The first round tier titles for the 2017 AO SKAN leaderboard are

1. Great White Sharks [top 10]
2. Saltwater Crocodiles
3. Dwarf Wallabies
4. Duck-Billed Platypusses

You get the idea. If we can swing it, the leader after each round gets to name the tiers for the next round. This is the yellow jersey honor.

When all is said and done, the winner is entitled to claim a prize - a modest selection of my choosing from the product lines of the Royal Canadian Mint.

Best wishes to all contestants !!!

PeterSkan

ptmcmahon
01-10-2017, 11:01 AM
I can answer one of those questions...(will Keys be healed in time :) )

James7
01-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Long time since I even attempted this. Threw in a group for fun.

PeterSkan
01-12-2017, 09:20 PM
The draw is out. Bump for 15 teams ... time to get yours in!

PeterSkan
01-13-2017, 04:33 PM
The draw is out. Bump for 15 teams ... time to get yours in!

23 teams

PeterSkan
01-14-2017, 04:36 PM
32 teams ... but less than 24 hours to go. Don't miss out on the SKAN

Irena2
01-14-2017, 05:06 PM
Hi, I was interested in trying this for the first time, but I can't register :( I get: Die - Error...Try Again

Have tried a couple of times in Safari and Firefox) Any advice?

texasniteowl
01-14-2017, 05:19 PM
I was having this problem yesterday. Make sure you specify a gender. I had left "none specified" selected and got that error. Having that "none specified" option made me think you could leave it at that but as soon as I picked a gender it let me register.

Irena2
01-14-2017, 05:49 PM
I was having this problem yesterday. Make sure you specify a gender. I had left "none specified" selected and got that error. Having that "none specified" option made me think you could leave it at that but as soon as I picked a gender it let me register.
That's exactly what I did - Thanks!!!

PeterSkan
01-15-2017, 08:45 PM
Holy Cow - did I ever crap out by choosing Halep on my team!!!

Irena2
01-15-2017, 10:04 PM
In my hurry to get my team in before the deadline, I ranked Pliskova as 3 instead of 5. Ack! I also misspelled Coco Vandewghe...missing e...Can this be fixed? My team is the Midnight Oilers. Thanks!!!

PeterSkan
01-16-2017, 12:50 PM
Spelling isn't an issue, Irena2. You can put down Barack Obama as your pick but if you list him as ATP#1, you will get credited with Murray's points. So as long as you have the ranking right, you're good to go with Coco.

As far as Pliskova is concerned, I checked your team and everything seems to be in order.

omess
01-16-2017, 03:12 PM
Holy Cow - did I ever crap out by choosing Halep on my team!!!

same :(

PeterSkan
01-19-2017, 09:01 AM
Standings after Round 1 [sorry I didn't get to download the D V Q breakdown before the start of Round]. Congrats to CtrAce for taking the lead:

PeterSkan
01-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Standings after Round 2 ... CtrAce continues to lead the way ... but not for long, having lost 2 players. Novak's loss has wreaked carnage on the SKAN and I count only 6 teams still fully intact after 2 rounds, including the wily Graveller. It's crazy to see how dispersed those 6 teams are throughout the standings [the ones with 180 V points]. Look for big changes in the rankings after Round 3. Meanwhile, I'm sunk, in last place and already having lost 3 players :(

texasniteowl
01-19-2017, 11:36 AM
How on earth did I make the top tier?! It's my first time so I didn't even fully understand the order = domination points thing. On the other hand...I didn't use Djokovic. :neener:

To be fair...I am down a player...I thought Kyrgios might stick around a little longer. :rolleyes:

Irena2
01-19-2017, 07:30 PM
I feel the same, texasniteowl. I can't believe I'm in the top tier for the moment - I had about 8 minutes to enter a team - not much time to think about the implications of the rules other than being disqualified if I picked all the same players in the same order as another team. I picked a couple of players no one had - one a sentimental favorite, and the other seemingly poised to make some noise for a few rounds. So maybe the way to do it is beginner's luck?

PeterSkan
01-21-2017, 01:01 PM
Divan25 storms into the lead after round 3 - the only one with a fully intact team:

1. Serena
2. Murray
3. Federer
4. Nadal
5. Kerber
6. Venus

Pretty Impressive. Could easily last into the quarters. Bravo!

Irena2
01-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Alas, my top tier standing lasted only for a day, but it was lovely! Well done Divan25, and texasniteowl for staying close!

texasniteowl
01-21-2017, 02:59 PM
lol. and somehow I am in 2nd...down only 25 pts. no idea how!

Irena2
01-22-2017, 01:11 AM
lol. and somehow I am in 2nd...down only 25 pts. no idea how!

You've dethroned Divan25! Congratulations on reaching first place!

texasniteowl
01-22-2017, 01:14 AM
lol. Thanks! It is temporary I am sure! I don't have either Kerber or Federer on my team and Divan25 does, so 2 chances to go back ahead of me! :p

Irena2
01-22-2017, 02:52 PM
lol. Thanks! It is temporary I am sure! I don't have either Kerber or Federer on my team and Divan25 does, so 2 chances to go back ahead of me! :p

Guess who put me in fourth place for today...go Colleen!

texasniteowl
01-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Well, I finished the round in 1st, but my time at the top looks to be about over. It looks an awful lot like Muguruza is on her way to a loss. Which is not good for me.

PeterSkan
01-24-2017, 10:18 AM
Yes - as noted, Texasniteowl is the new leader after Round 4, and thanks for the tier titles [which I used for R4 standings - I think I'm a round behind somehow, but oh well]. TNO's team is

1. Konta
2. Pliskova
3. Muguruza
4. Nadal
5. Kyrios
6. Murray

texasniteowl
01-24-2017, 12:02 PM
Yeah, and I'm down to 12th now thanks to Muguruza's loss. I only have 3 active players remaining while I think everyone above me has 4 or 5. Irena2 looks in good position...who knew Coco would break out here like this?!

Irena2
01-24-2017, 03:52 PM
Yeah, and I'm down to 12th now thanks to Muguruza's loss. I only have 3 active players remaining while I think everyone above me has 4 or 5. Irena2 looks in good position...who knew Coco would break out here like this?!

I wish I could take credit for foreseeing Coco's performance - I did think she might make it to the quarters, perhaps - she'd been playing so well - but I didn't see her going THIS far! Delighted nonetheless! Especially since she avenged Muguruza's drubbing of Cirstea (knocked me out of the Women's SP as I had already used too many players who were - are - still in the hunt).

TennisAnyone74
01-25-2017, 11:01 AM
Randomskan is doing well in this contest!

TA

PeterSkan
01-25-2017, 11:40 AM
Randomskan is doing well in this contest!

TA

Yes - that rascal RSKAN is fee;ling high and mighty right now. I posted this on the TG Board:

"Should we be surprised that RandomSkan is where he is ... somewhere in the low 20's? I'd say not at all. And he has both the Stanimal and Grig, so a Wawrinka/Dimitrov final would guarantee him a win.

Of course, it's unlikely he would do well, picking names out of a hat, as it were - and the typical result is a last place finish. But once in a blue moon the right combination will present itself purely by chance [and especially with the advantage of randomly selecting from the seeded subset] and he will do better than average. That may be the case this time, though, of course, it's not over yet and a Serena victory would probably dispatch him to the doldrums once again."

PeterSkan
01-25-2017, 11:43 AM
After the QFs, Divan25 makes the big comeback to retake the lead. Having the old guard [Federal Nadal Venus Serena] sure hasn't hurt:

PeterSkan
01-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Oops = missed the revised Tier Titles - here's the revised QF Standings table. In the meantime, I'm pleased to have escaped the cellar, if not the bottom tier:

Irena2
01-25-2017, 01:32 PM
Oops = missed the revised Tier Titles - here's the revised QF Standings table. In the meantime, I'm pleased to have escaped the cellar, if not the bottom tier:

This is a very interesting contest! I was certainly put out of the running by Pliskova... but it was fun to be up there while it lasted! I am still a bit confused about how the scoring works. If your player loses, do you lose points? I was thinking you just lose the player.

PeterSkan
01-25-2017, 10:10 PM
This is a very interesting contest! I was certainly put out of the running by Pliskova... but it was fun to be up there while it lasted! I am still a bit confused about how the scoring works. If your player loses, do you lose points? I was thinking you just lose the player.

The basic scoring system works like this ...

Victory points per Player

Round 1 win = 10 points
Round 2 win = 20 points [accumulation of 30]
Round 3 win = 30 points [accumulation of 60]
Round 4 win = 50 points [accumulation of 110]
Round 5 win = 80 points [accumulation of 190 points
Round 6 win = 130 points [accumulation of 320 points]
Round 7 win = 210 points [accumulation of 530 points]

Quality points

For any applicable match, player gets equivalent of [33 - [ranking of opponent]] for any opponent ranked in top 32. For example, your player beats the 15th ranked player and your team gets [33 - 15 ] = 18 points.

Domination Points [this is where it gets tricky]

In the menu below, "seeded" means the order of the 6 players on your team. The player you list first on your team [line 1 of 6] is your "1st seeded player", etc. Points are the same for each match played and are calculated as follows:

1st seeded player: 6 * [(Games Won) - (Games Lost)]
2nd seeded player: 5 * [GW - GL]
3rd seeded player: 4 * [GW - GL]
4th seeded player: 3 * [GW - GL]
5th seeded player: 2 * [GW - GL]
6th seeded player: 1* [GW - GL]

Note (1) If player wins when GL > GW, then points are set to zero so the player is not penalized for the win.
Note (2) A player who loses with GL > GW will have negative points
Note (3) Because men play best of 5 but women only play best of 3; men's matches are normalized as if they played a best of 3.

Irena2
01-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Thanks PeterSkan!

PeterSkan
01-26-2017, 03:48 PM
I've been extricated from last place and even passed RandomSkan. A Serena/Federer win will do wonders for me, since only 18 teams of 64 have them both:

There are 18 teams with: Serena | Federer |

The contestants are:

Zvezda_red
Jeff in Texas
Antoinnettia
Buitenzorg
Pingpong0_
PeterSkan
Joylan1
Red-Eye
Divan25
guichard
Slazorin
rex
F2DaH
nadals
King_Stacio
Omess
TheDevMiester
Laughingcavalier

PeterSkan
01-27-2017, 07:10 PM
Semifinal standings ... Divan25 solidly in the lead with all four finalists. Will be an awkward set of results to dethrone him, if that's even possible. Who would have thought a couple of weeks ago that populating a team with Serena Venus Rafa Federer would be the winning combo. Well done!

PeterSkan
01-30-2017, 06:52 AM
Congratulations to Divan 25 for winning the first SKAN of 2017. It's not often that a team falls out of the lead midway through the SKAN and then recaptures it to snag the gold! Well done!

Final Standings ...

ptmcmahon
05-27-2017, 08:11 PM
On behalf of Peter...bump :) Looks like RG Skan is still a go!

mysterX
05-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Peter, I am responding here because your PM inbox is full.

I just submitted a SkanCan team on the tennis gamers site. The page display said that my entry was accepted, and I see my name on the rankings page, but I don't see my team in the list of teams. The team I submitted should be a legal team which meets the rankings limit. My entries are:

1. Muguruza
2. Suarez Navarro
3. Nadal
4. Wawrinka
5. Kuznetsova
6. A. Zverev

I don't know why the team doesn't appear, but I want to send this to you so you know that I did submit a team before the entry deadline. Thanks.

PeterSkan
05-27-2017, 09:00 PM
OK - let me check ...

PeterSkan
05-27-2017, 09:10 PM
Hi Mysterx -

You were right, for some reason your team was not populated in the all teams list. So I went to the Control Board and edited your team to put the names of the players in their designated spaces, and saved the edited entry, and now it shows in the all-teams list. In any event you're good to go!

mysterX
05-27-2017, 10:10 PM
Thanks Peter!