PDA

View Full Version : Server/Website delays

atlpam
01-14-2016, 04:55 AM
Not sure if others are seeing this, but I frequently get delays loading pages with either waiting for pagead2 or waiting for google-analytics.com.

I'm using Google Chrome Version 47.0.2526.106 m on a PC running Windows 7 Enterprise

The pages also load very slowly using Internet Explorer 10, Version: 10.0.9200.17566, Update Versions: 10.0.34 but there is no message to indicate what is causing the delay.

This is my work PC so I'm limited as to what versions or add-ons I can use.

More annoying than anything else.

James7
01-14-2016, 06:07 AM
I have the same issue. On loading google analytics portions of the forum pages. But mainly just at particular times of the day.

Ti-Amie
01-14-2016, 06:09 AM
I have problems loading pages after midnight which is an issue this time of year.

Kirkus
01-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Let me see what I can do.

James7
01-14-2016, 10:08 AM
Let me see what I can do.

See here at the bottom:
http://www.analyticsmarket.com/blog/tracking-code-slows-my-site

I'd suggest just holding it local if possible rather than fetching it if possible.

Kirkus
01-14-2016, 10:22 AM
Is this a new problem?

James7
01-14-2016, 10:27 AM
Not to me. But I've just tried to ignore it.

I guess it's common enough of a general issue that there are blog posts you can easily google about it!

Kirkus
01-14-2016, 10:33 AM
I've seen delays on my end from revads.stenvalldesign.com, which is what I use to manage our internal contest ads. But not from google analytics. Anyway, let me see what I can do to fix this.

Kirkus
01-14-2016, 10:39 AM
To help me with this, can those of you who are having delays use the TAT Default Style (bottom left drop-down menu) rather than one of the grand slam styles?

I've made some changes to the TAT Default style and I'll be curious to know if these changes help. If they do I'll make the same changes to all styles.

Ti-Amie
01-14-2016, 11:14 AM
I switched to the default. I'll let you know later tonight if I have any problems.

James7
01-14-2016, 12:32 PM
I've been using the default style. Never changed it. I think I am mainly having issues with the aforementioned "revads.stenvalldesign.com". But I have seen it stall on the analytics a bit too, so I wasn't sure.

Kirkus
01-14-2016, 12:50 PM
I'm afraid the main culprit is going to be the revads.

We'll give it a little time to test the change I made (I moved the analytics code to the footer. It was in the header). See if maybe other members see this thread and can chime in.

atlpam
01-14-2016, 01:10 PM
I've been using the default style all along. Not having any problems with my Mac at home or on my iPad. Not sure if it's the "approved" browser versions or settings on the corporate network. As James7 mentioned, sometimes it comes up fine and then other times I experience delays every time it tries to display a new page.

Kirkus
01-15-2016, 01:08 PM
Anyone who was having trouble notice a difference using the Default style?

James7
01-15-2016, 01:25 PM
I wasn't as active today. But I didn't notice any big pauses today. There were a few comparitively minor ones (one second or so), but what I had been encountering that was problematic was akin to timeout errors (as bad as a full minute to load or total failure).

Kirkus
01-15-2016, 03:25 PM
I wasn't as active today. But I didn't notice any big pauses today. There were a few comparitively minor ones (one second or so), but what I had been encountering that was problematic was akin to timeout errors (as bad as a full minute to load or total failure).

Holy crikey! That's not acceptable. Keep me posted as you learn more. Hopefully this easy fix will have done the job. If not, I'll keep working on it.

James7
01-20-2016, 07:14 AM
Having some significant trouble this morning.

Was trying to visit the YCWJ picks thread and gave up.
Pulled up Developer Tools to take a look at a page load and had the following notable things in terms of load times:

[These three loaded eventually after a long time]
vbulletin_ajax_suggest.js?v=423 (8.3KB; 1.4 minutes to load)
ckeditor.js?t=A7HG4HT&v=423 (367KB; 32.39 seconds to load)
previous-right.png (231B; 1.5 minutes to load)

[These two failed to load, but the page header/Navigation bar was loaded. Missing the forum contents/RPBs, etc]
icon_predchamp.png (Still pending after >5 minutes)
ajs.php?zoneid=2&target=_top&cb=95300880050&charset=windows-1252…(etc,etc) (Still pending after >5 minutes)

I just cancelled the page load eventually.

Then I went to the main forum page and got the page to load with a few slow elements:
Ig.php (597B; 1.5 minutes to load)
collapse_40b_collapsed.png (614B; 59.42 seconds to load)
icon.png (1.1KB 37.47 seconds to load)
forum_old-48.png (6.8KB; 53.76 seconds to load)

I’m not sure what the main culprit is. But I think several of those slower elements are all tied up together and not necessarily all of them are problems. Seems like some js and some php loads may be the main issues.

Usually when it gets like this I just give up for a while rather than requesting and cancelling until I eventually get in with a successful partial page load.

In trying to reach this thread I was really struggling.
search.php was slow, bulletin-ajax-threadlist.js failed to load… ajs.php was a problem again…

FWIW, other non-TAT webpages appear to be having normally for me at the same time.

atlpam
01-20-2016, 09:18 AM
I've been seeing better performance, but can't confirm if it's due to TAT changes or just something in our network. When I had issues last week, I also had timeouts trying to load other pages, so my issues may not have been specific to TAT.

Kirkus
01-20-2016, 09:35 AM
Having some significant trouble this morning.

Was trying to visit the YCWJ picks thread and gave up.
Pulled up Developer Tools to take a look at a page load and had the following notable things in terms of load times:

[These three loaded eventually after a long time]
vbulletin_ajax_suggest.js?v=423 (8.3KB; 1.4 minutes to load)
ckeditor.js?t=A7HG4HT&v=423 (367KB; 32.39 seconds to load)
previous-right.png (231B; 1.5 minutes to load)

[These two failed to load, but the page header/Navigation bar was loaded. Missing the forum contents/RPBs, etc]
icon_predchamp.png (Still pending after >5 minutes)
ajs.php?zoneid=2&target=_top&cb=95300880050&charset=windows-1252…(etc,etc) (Still pending after >5 minutes)

I just cancelled the page load eventually.

Then I went to the main forum page and got the page to load with a few slow elements:
Ig.php (597B; 1.5 minutes to load)
collapse_40b_collapsed.png (614B; 59.42 seconds to load)
icon.png (1.1KB 37.47 seconds to load)
forum_old-48.png (6.8KB; 53.76 seconds to load)

I’m not sure what the main culprit is. But I think several of those slower elements are all tied up together and not necessarily all of them are problems. Seems like some js and some php loads may be the main issues.

Usually when it gets like this I just give up for a while rather than requesting and cancelling until I eventually get in with a successful partial page load.

In trying to reach this thread I was really struggling.
search.php was slow, bulletin-ajax-threadlist.js failed to load… ajs.php was a problem again…

FWIW, other non-TAT webpages appear to be having normally for me at the same time.

I'm kind of at a loss here. Since it appears to be only a few people I don't know how to narrow it down to a problem TAT's server might be creating.

Do you know about what time this was happening, James. I'm wondering if it's coinciding with the servers automatic backup routine which takes place beginning around 2am EST. This has slowed me down considerably in the past (when I'm up that late).

Kirkus
01-20-2016, 09:41 AM
I've renamed this thread to make it more general. I'm going to ask other's to add to it if the've had trouble.

James7
01-20-2016, 10:25 AM
I'm kind of at a loss here. Since it appears to be only a few people I don't know how to narrow it down to a problem TAT's server might be creating.

Do you know about what time this was happening, James. I'm wondering if it's coinciding with the servers automatic backup routine which takes place beginning around 2am EST. This has slowed me down considerably in the past (when I'm up that late).

A bit before the time I was posting... I was slugging it out to try to post there. So I'd say about 10AM Eastern which corresponds to, what is it, 7AM West coast?

Having very minor delays now, but the pages are at least loading relatively promptly.

Kirkus
01-20-2016, 01:00 PM
I've asked our server host's technical support to take a look.

Kirkus
01-20-2016, 04:52 PM
They're still looking at it but so far can't find anything wrong.

Kirkus
01-20-2016, 08:29 PM
They can't find any errors or problems in the logs from your ip address, James, in the last 5 days. I'm not sure where to go with this now.

Kirkus
01-20-2016, 09:37 PM
I'm going to run TAT on my slow-as-hell DSL for a while and see if I have the same difficulty. I used to on occasion before I started using my cell's internet connection.

James7
01-21-2016, 02:49 AM
Maybe it just has to do with my location? No idea. Oh well.

Kirkus
01-21-2016, 09:37 AM
I still want to work on this.

If you're having that kind of trouble on a consistent basis and it's something on this end I need to find it and fix it. Do you have another somewhere with a different internet/network connection you can try just for comparison?

Last night, after going on my lousy DSL, I did get hung up on reveads.stenvalldesign. I had to refresh the page. The second time the page loaded fine. And even as I type this, although the page appears to have completely drawn, my browser is still showing "Waiting for www.talkabouttennis.com..."

So I'm not convinced it's just your location.

James7
01-21-2016, 10:07 AM
I have trouble at home and at work. Mainly during the day itself, so it's not often that I'm checking and having problems at home.

Thanks for looking into it, but like I said, if I have big problems I just give up and do something else for a while. And a little later the problems will have vanished. So it ultimately doesn't impact me too horribly, personally.

James7
01-21-2016, 10:07 AM
I have trouble at home and at work. Mainly during the day itself, so it's not often that I'm checking and having problems at home.

Thanks for looking into it, but like I said, if I have big problems I just give up and do something else for a while. And a little later the problems will have vanished. So it ultimately doesn't impact me too horribly, personally.

James7
01-21-2016, 10:09 AM
The main annoyance is sometimes the delayed site response results in my accidentally getting a double post while the POST resolves, as in the above. Sorry.

Kirkus
01-21-2016, 01:19 PM
That happens to several of us. It's happened to me many times, and it's frustrating as all get out.

If it's not the server or forum script obviously there's nothing I can do on this end. But I'm STILL not convinced there isn't an issue here. The problems I have now and again on my crappy DSL seem to have started right around the time I upgraded to a bigger better faster(?) server last year.

ptmcmahon
01-24-2016, 11:57 AM
Not sure if you want any people weighing in or not but I'm having no problems with forum at home or work...on laptop/pc/tablet/cell phone. I almost don't even understand the description of the problem initially :)

Kirkus
01-24-2016, 01:52 PM
That's helpful to know. Thanks! :)

Kirkus
02-12-2016, 09:02 PM
Have the changes I've made alleviated these delays at all?

James7
02-13-2016, 08:54 AM
I think so.