PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the chat bar?

Kirkus
08-24-2015, 10:21 AM
I'm doing some housecleaning and would like to know how many members use the chat bar at the bottom of our forum pages.

James7
08-24-2015, 10:56 AM
I've used it rarely. Primarily as as mechanism to speak to drop and others regarding current contests.

ponchi101
08-24-2015, 12:18 PM
I've used it. not that frequently, though

suliso
08-24-2015, 12:20 PM
I haven't recently, but I would if there was ever anyone there. In the old days when chat was more prominent I used it regularly.

ptmcmahon
08-24-2015, 12:21 PM
Ditto...I check during slams sometimes and other big events to see if people are chatting but usually no one is. I even bump the TatChat thread for big slam weekends sometimes :)

dryrunguy
08-24-2015, 01:30 PM
What is the chat bar? Oh, I guess that answers the question... :cheesy:

Kirkus
08-24-2015, 03:29 PM
OK. I won't mess with it. If no one ever used it I'd get rid of it. But since it is used now and then I'll leave it alone.

Thanks!! :)

Jay
08-24-2015, 06:19 PM
I have no idea where the link even is :p

Jay
08-24-2015, 06:20 PM
I have no idea where the link even is :p
Nevermind. I found it

Miles
08-24-2015, 09:13 PM
I haven't recently, but I would if there was ever anyone there. In the old days when chat was more prominent I used it regularly.

Ditto...I check during slams sometimes and other big events to see if people are chatting but usually no one is. I even bump the TatChat thread for big slam weekends sometimes :)

I miss the old blue chat that constantly kicked Tscott out. :cheesy: As for all the old chatters, they were disappointed with all the various incarnations of the chat room that increasingly deprived the people in the room of any sort of privacy, and they ultimately felt spied upon. So they all left, but are out there on the interwebs using a chat room that they've named "TAT Exiles". :cheesy: If they haven't returned by now, they ain't gonna which is too bad since it was a lot of fun chatting during live tennis.

Jay
08-24-2015, 09:30 PM
The old chat was lovely.

Kirkus
08-24-2015, 11:24 PM
Too bad I had to update the forum software to help keep our forum secure and the old blue chat wasn't compatible with the upgrade (it hasn't been updated since 2010). The various incarnations of the chat room was me trying to find an acceptable and compatible replacement for everyone.

If they're exiled, it was by choice.

ptmcmahon
08-25-2015, 08:46 AM
I assumed Miles was joking...but he's not!

shtexas
08-25-2015, 10:11 AM
Too bad I had to update the forum software to help keep our forum secure and the old blue chat wasn't compatible with the upgrade (it hasn't been updated since 2010). The various incarnations of the chat room was me trying to find an acceptable and compatible replacement for everyone.

If they're exiled, it was by choice.

I thought they left because they didn't like the format of the new chat room.

As for spying, I know you would have told people that the chat room was being moderated if you had any intention to monitor it.

So, I agree. Exiled by choice.

ptmcmahon
08-25-2015, 10:38 AM
Either way...with USO around the corner seems a prime opportunity to try to breathe a little life into chat for a couple weeks...I'll try to pop in when I can!

Kirkus
08-25-2015, 10:49 AM

As for spying, I know you would have told people that the chat room was being moderated if you had any intention to monitor it.

One of the chat systems I tried allowed for moderators to view the chat in real time without being in the room. I disabled it. Another one logged all chats. I also disabled that. No chat session was ever spied on.

Either way...with USO around the corner seems a prime opportunity to try to breathe a little life into chat for a couple weeks...I'll try to pop in when I can!

This is a good idea! I'll promote it with banners and on FB. :)

::

The nicest part of that "old blue chat" was that a list of those using it could be displayed on the front page of the forums list. It wasn't necessary to open the chat room to see who was there. That's the part that was incompatible with the updated forum software.

Miles
08-25-2015, 08:45 PM

9-16-210

We're also making a change to how our chat room operates. Starting immediately, all chats will be automatically transcribed and the previous 48 hours will be written to a log file on our server. No one will have access to this log file except me and it WILL NOT be read by anyone, including me, unless it's necessary to arbitrate a disagreement or to verify a reported rule violation. Don't have an expectation of privacy while in the chat room, and remember that all forum rules apply in chat as well.

The decision was reversed two days later.

9/18/2010

The conversations in the chat room WILL NOT be logged.

I don't recall a single instance when it would have been helpful to go back and read a chat log. So why start logging them now? Why put that extra load on the server? Why discourage the conversation that might be perfectly acceptable, but of a personal nature? Although I never would have read the transcripts unless necessary, I don't even like having them available. And even though I don't think there should be an expectation of privacy in a public chat room, the idea of the logs goes against my own feelings about privacy.

Anyway, no changes are being made to how the chat room operates.

And then there was the new chat which offered no privacy at all. The one where the chat box appeared at the bottom of the forum so anyone could read what the participants were discussing.

Also, if one of the founding goals of the forum was to build a strong, vibrant community I wouldn't so easily dismiss the concerns of the "Exiled". The regular Chatters were a very close knit group since the very nature of a chat room allowed people to discuss personal matters that you would not otherwise post on the forum since that's a public area. Not to mention the Chat was super fun, and everyone had a blast making each other laugh. It really did embody the goals of the community and is truly missed.

shtexas
08-25-2015, 08:51 PM
This thread was to see if a chatroom Kirk paid separately for was still worth a go. If you are interested in playing the blame game, you can take it somewhere else.

Drop-shot
08-26-2015, 05:29 AM
9-16-210

The decision was reversed two days later.

9/18/2010

And then there was the new chat which offered no privacy at all. The one where the chat box appeared at the bottom of the forum so anyone could read what the participants were discussing.

Also, if one of the founding goals of the forum was to build a strong, vibrant community I wouldn't so easily dismiss the concerns of the "Exiled". The regular Chatters were a very close knit group since the very nature of a chat room allowed people to discuss personal matters that you would not otherwise post on the forum since that's a public area. Not to mention the Chat was super fun, and everyone had a blast making each other laugh. It really did embody the goals of the community and is truly missed.

2010!!! This happened 5 years ago and it's still being brought up? :shocked:

#movealongmovealong

Kirkus
08-26-2015, 10:00 AM
I got the answer I needed. Enough people use the chat bar and chat room to justify keeping it. Maybe a little promotion, something I haven't done enough of, will make it more popular.

Thanks everyone for your vote.