PDA

View Full Version : 2015 - A Month in the Sun: The Yarra River Lounge

luvs10s
12-18-2014, 04:23 AM
Welcome, one and all, to the annual edition of A Month in the Sun!!

This is where TAT's Fantasy Tennis season gets started, and we get the chance to get rid of that off-season rustiness and, perhaps, get an idea of where 2015 will be headed.

For those of you who are new to the game, or perhaps even to TAT: as many people can enter as they like. One team per person, though, and by all means: mingle!

Get to know the other players, find out what makes them tick, discuss the tournaments, complain about on-court clothing choices and get a drink (or two, or more if your choice goes down in flames) from our resident bartender.

Here's wishing all of us the best of luck!

Ribbons
12-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Solstice ritual... :)5114

Drop-shot
12-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Hmmm, much more organized than my method... :ponder:

patrick
12-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Solstice ritual... :)5114

Where is Brisbane?

Ribbons
12-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Where is Brisbane?

I wasn't on my second cup of coffee yet. ;)

Ribbons
12-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Hmmm, much more organized than my method... :ponder:

It's indeed an exercise in futility (I do much better when I just close my eyes and drop pins on the names) but there were other things I didn't feel like getting to right away this morning. ;)

ptmcmahon
12-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Looks much prettier and easier to deal with than a boring spreadsheet!

ptmcmahon
01-03-2015, 10:14 PM
Wisely none of us chose Jankovic who is the first A player out...she may be a lower category for our next contest at this rate.

Charlie02123
01-04-2015, 01:01 AM
I totally missed that Azarenka was a B Category player. That would have been tempting.

ptmcmahon
01-04-2015, 05:56 AM
I was very surprised that only fiveish of us took her since she was a B player...I figured it was a slam dunk easy pick. Then I remembered I finished dead last in two of these contests last year so figured everyone else was just smarter than me.

Charlie02123
01-04-2015, 11:07 AM
I was very surprised that only fiveish of us took her since she was a B player...I figured it was a slam dunk easy pick. Then I remembered I finished dead last in two of these contests last year so figured everyone else was just smarter than me.
I didn't look at other teams until the deadline was passed. I try to go with my gut and not worry about bandwagons or anything. At first when I saw her I thought "Oh no!" but I don't think I would have taken her. The risk is that she's defending RU points in Brisbane and she's ranked 31 right now. There's a good chance she ends up unseeded at the AO. Taking a 16th ranked player gives you a higher chance of just banking 3rd or 4th round points at the AO, where Azarenka would have the higher chance of losing in the 1st but also in making the semis. It's just a bigger risk.

ptmcmahon
01-04-2015, 11:13 AM
Yeah a tough draw at AO if she's unseeded (or even seeded low) was the risk. Still, I'd rather her than most of the other B women even if she gets a tough draw.

I don't look at other teams until I've made my initial team...then it's usually to see "have I missed something obvious or someone everyone has taken?" Sometimes If I'm torn among the lower ranked players I will see who was picked the most as some D/E players I don't really know much about.

Charlie02123
01-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Yeah a tough draw at AO if she's unseeded (or even seeded low) was the risk. Still, I'd rather her than most of the other B women even if she gets a tough draw.

I don't look at other teams until I've made my initial team...then it's usually to see "have I missed something obvious or someone everyone has taken?" Sometimes If I'm torn among the lower ranked players I will see who was picked the most as some D/E players I don't really know much about.
I don't think she's a good or bad choice, just high variance. I try to have a handful of players I can count on for a small chunk of points (so I'd prefer a Safarova type for that spot). After that, it basically comes down to if your A players win the AO, with a tiebreaker being if a D/E player had an unexpected run somewhere.

ptmcmahon
01-04-2015, 11:56 AM
I find I get so many 0's or low scores from even my "safe" picks...that I try to pick people who I think could go deep or as easily flame out in round 1. Explains my boom or bust results (ex last year I got a silver for Slide into Paris followed by two dead lasts. I'd rather finish near the bottom than just short of the medals.

patrick
01-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Muguruza has w/d from Brisbane due to sprain ankle

Charlie02123
01-05-2015, 12:09 AM
Muguruza has w/d from Brisbane due to sprain ankle
Hooray! Thank goodness I picked her. :mad:

ptmcmahon
01-05-2015, 05:34 PM
Yup that Azarenka pick was a great one too! Muguruza was one of the other B women I was considering after her play last year around this time...so I was probably screwed either way.

Or...maybe Vika tanked this week so no one would want to pick her up in the contest...and then she'll go out and win AO!

Meanwhile, I took Hantuchova off my team when I saw she had drawn Errani in round one...

Charlie02123
01-06-2015, 01:39 AM
I kept Hantuchova (huzzah!) but dropped Sloane Stephens (damn!) in lieu of Muguruza.

Edit: Oh wait, I did keep Sloane! I knew Muguruza was my only B woman and forgot Sloane had plummeted all the way to the Cs.

ptmcmahon
01-06-2015, 05:48 AM
And when I dropped Hantuchova I picked up a D guy instead so I had to swap out my E guy...Groth - once I saw he had drawn Hewiitt who IS on my team.

Kevin Anderson is one of those guys I pick often always and expect it to wind up a bad pick...and it almost always is.

My initial team probably would've medaled while my current team will probably finish last!

ptmcmahon
01-08-2015, 01:18 PM
Well at least over half of us had Djokovic...what a bum.

dryrunguy
01-08-2015, 04:35 PM
For a while, a few days, ago, the Ferrer pick wasn't looking good. Now it looks pretty golden. And he's supposed to play next week, too.

ptmcmahon
01-08-2015, 07:39 PM
There are a lot of these contests where it seems Ferrer always has the extra tournament...and usually stinks (Green Acres I believe is another one.) So despite the multiple tournaments I refused to take him.

Drop-shot
01-09-2015, 04:42 AM
I planned on trading him in later on.

ptmcmahon
01-09-2015, 11:50 AM
All part of his plan...watch everyone add him this week then tank next week. Wait for everyone to drop him for AO and go on a deep run!

Charlie02123
01-10-2015, 01:18 PM
I just glanced at the teams posted.

I'm pretty sure Drop-Shot will be the clear week one leader, largely thanks to Venus along with some supporting help from Kanepi and Vesnina.

A wad of people will probably be in the 2-10ish area. Most B players were disappointing, so those with Goffin's SF result are edged closer to the top. Anyone with Djokovic or Kvitova slips a bit.

Next week is going to be wild and crazy so I'm guessing the standings will spread out more.

ptmcmahon
01-13-2015, 06:49 AM
Scores should be low this week with all the withdrawls (Woz, Halep, Ferrer etc.) so may not be too crazy after all. Hoping Gulbis does something for me or I probably won't even hit triple digits.

ptmcmahon
01-13-2015, 05:18 PM
Just worked out my WTA score for the week...5 points! And I'm lucky I got that with Caro retiring mid match...otherwise woulda been a big fat 0.

ptmcmahon
01-14-2015, 06:13 AM
And Gulbis loses his first round match too. So the best trade strategy for men this week was to accidentally post after deadline.

Drop-shot
01-14-2015, 08:34 AM
And Gulbis loses his first round match too. So the best trade strategy for men this week was to accidentally post after deadline.

Yay procrastination!

dave g
01-15-2015, 04:21 PM
It looks like I might have a high score for this week because I accidentally have Vesely on my team. :cheesy:

luvs10s
01-16-2015, 05:39 AM
I almost traded Almagro out and put Kukushkin in, but didn't want leave myself with only two trades for the AO. Kicking myself now!

ptmcmahon
01-16-2015, 04:33 PM
Not hard to tell it's a pre-slam week

This week's ATP finalists:

Mannarino - on 0 teams
Veseley - 5 teams
Kukushkin - 0 teams
Triocki - 0 teams

WTA Finalists:

Brengle - 0 teams
Watson - 0 teams
Kvitova - 7 teams (Sydney winner)
Ka Pliskova - 0 teams

Dave G, Martini4me and Tenedab actually had 2 finalists this week! Shouldn't be too hard to guess which.

Charlie02123
01-16-2015, 07:59 PM
I've never ever heard of Vesely before this week. What has he done to be on 5 TATers radar?

ptmcmahon
01-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Well he's never lost in a final as a qualifier against a qualifier for one! ;)

I didn't know about him either...so checking him out...hes young and tall (good reason to take a flyer on him there)...beat Monfils at Wimbledon last year...not much else standing out to me in his profile. So good on the five of them!

If I had to make a real guess...I'd say it's because he was playing both weeks.

dave g
01-16-2015, 09:04 PM
[QUOTE=ptmcmahon;

If I had to make a real guess...I'd say it's because he was playing both weeks.[/QUOTE]

That is why I took him.

Scotty
01-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Vesley gave Murray a scare last year at IW, I believe.

suliso
01-16-2015, 11:32 PM
I've never ever heard of Vesely before this week. What has he done to be on 5 TATers radar?

He was junior #1 in 2011 and at one stage last year the youngest player in the top 100. Also beat Monfils at Wimbledon last year. He has at least a top 20 potential I think.

Ribbons
01-17-2015, 06:36 AM
I seem to recall some conversations about Vesely in last year's Challenger threads, of the will-he-catch-up-to-Thiem variety, seeing how they're the same age (and Vesely turned pro earlier).

Charlie02123
01-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Tons of people will have at least 3/4 of Serena, Sharapova, Federer, and Djokovic. It looks like the B category players will factor in heavily, especially since about half of us are only one unique QFist away from medal position.

ptmcmahon
01-21-2015, 10:41 PM
If Hewitt wins tonight, somehow I'll still have all of my A-B-C teams...I consider that a minor miracle.

Sharapova's near upset would've been a big help for me as I'm riding the Halep train.

Charlie02123
01-21-2015, 11:09 PM
Besides my As, I only have Muguruza, Anderson, and Garcia-Lopez, so I'll need big results from them.

ptmcmahon
01-22-2015, 02:40 AM
Looks like trading out Wozniacki was wise...but I also traded out Vika so maybe that'll hurt me later on. She's clearly the favorite in her 1/8 now I'd say.

ptmcmahon
01-22-2015, 03:24 AM
And look at the jinx I threw on Hewitt!