PDA

View Full Version : And.... WE'RE OFF!!!

dryrunguy
09-18-2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks to everyone who decided to participate in TAT's first women's fantasy tournament. We have 30 players, the most we've ever had for a TAT fantasy contest.

If you were too late to get in for the first week of the contest, don't fret. You can still play. Just make sure your team is posted in the "Post Your Team Here" thread before the start of the text tournament (Luxembourg).

If you posted a team, please go back and check your team as its listed in the thread. I made some minor adjustments to point totals and player point allocations that were incorrect. But please, if I edited your post, double-check MY math to ensure we have everything correct.

Also, keep in mind that you are allowed THREE substitutions. Please note any substitutions clearly in your original team post so I can track them easily each week.

Good luck to all! And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. We'll have the scores for Week 1 posted asap after the tournament's conclusion.

Dry

P.S.--A special thank you to everyone who spelled Sprem's name correctly. Apparently we don't have any dyslexics in the contest... :o

cphsrsh
09-18-2006, 08:48 AM
First place, here I come! WOOT! [smiley=woot.gif]

dryrunguy
09-18-2006, 08:50 AM
First place, here I come! WOOT! [smiley=woot.gif]

Hmphf... Ssssssnort. [smiley=boxing.gif]

We'll see about that. After my horrendous showing in the last fantasy contest, I'm long overdue for a good result...

Even if I know in the bottom of my heart that I could only win something like this by complete accident... LOL!

Dry

Kirkus
09-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Can I just say a big fat "Thank You" to Dry for heading this up! I'm going to play this thing and not worry about scoring it! How much fun is that?!

Thanks, Dry! :D

shtexas
09-18-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm still reeling from forgetting to make my substitution in time during the Hard Road to New York. It cost me 100 points. I will never get over it.

NEVER!

(ok - I am taking this a little too seriously)

GVGirl
09-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks Dry!

I see you corrected my counting.

Jack
09-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Good luck to all! But I'll have you know that I was not satisfied with 3rd place in the HRNY contest. I have a feeling I'll be riding Vera Dushevina to the top of the results!! (So to speak) ;D

dryrunguy
09-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Good luck to all! But I'll have you know that I was not satisfied with 3rd place in the HRNY contest. I have a feeling I'll be riding Vera Dushevina to the top of the results!! (So to speak) ;D

I've always said, "A dirty mind is a TERRIBLE thing to waste..."

Dry

cphsrsh
09-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Why are we so kind and friendly here?!

Come on, show some fire and tenacity!

I'm going to do whatever it takes to get 1st place and nothing's gonna stop me. [smiley=evil.gif]

dryrunguy
09-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Why are we so kind and friendly here?!

Come on, show some fire and tenacity!

I'm going to do whatever it takes to get 1st place and nothing's gonna stop me. [smiley=evil.gif]

I didn't know Justine was a member of our board...

In that case, screw you! [smiley=flipoff.gif]

Dry

cphsrsh
09-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Oh no! My secret identity is revealed!

I better hurry and tell my husband and coach to remove their TAT accounts quickly.

dryrunguy
09-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Oh no! My secret identity is revealed!

I better hurry and tell my husband and coach to remove their TAT accounts quickly.

You must be referring to Moose and shtexas???

Dry

Kirkus
09-18-2006, 03:47 PM
I wanted to double-check my original team before the thing began but couldn't find a god-damn draw to save my life! >:(

How's that for kind and friendly?! ::)

dryrunguy
09-18-2006, 03:53 PM
I wanted to double-check my original team before the thing began but couldn't find a god-damn draw to save my life! >:(

How's that for kind and friendly?! ::)

I don't know what's been going on the past few days, but whenever I tried to open the .pdf of the Beijing draw at the WTA site, my Internet Explorer would crash. It was strange. Did anyone else have problems?

I had forgotten that Moose posted the draw on TEB. So I finally ended up breaking down and checking it at www.tenniscorner.net. But whatever you do, don't go there without the mother of all pop-up blockers. My system blocked an intrusion attempt there several months ago. I try to go there as little as possible.

At least you have four players in the contest this week, kirkus. That's better than none.

Dry

Kirkus
09-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Oh good god! I only have 4?

LMAO!

Well how'bout that?!

dryrunguy
09-18-2006, 04:01 PM

LMAO!

Well how'bout that?!

Hey! One of them is Mauresmo. Peng and Li have a chance to win a few matches. And Kostanic successfully qualified!

There are some with fewer than you.

At least you didn't miss the whole first week like I did for HRNY.

Dry

suliso
09-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Does anyone know any good website with entry lists for the upcoming WTA tournaments?

ATP is easy (stevegtennis.com), but I don't know of any good place for WTA :(

dryrunguy
09-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Does anyone know any good website with entry lists for the upcoming WTA tournaments?

Not that I know of, suliso. I ended up taking a few hours a couple of Saturdays ago to wade through the six tournament web sites. There used to be a great website by a guy named Michael Blue, but it went defunct.

But if anyone knows of any resource, please post. Because I'm interested, too.

Dry

Kirkus
09-18-2006, 06:50 PM

Maybe that's something to put on TAT's ToDo list.

dryrunguy
09-18-2006, 07:13 PM
The WTA does show where the top 10 players will be going over the next 3-4 weeks in the year. But it's just the top 10.

But I've read some discussion that the WTA doesn't really want this information in the public domain. I don't know if that's true. Since the individual tournaments usually publish it on their web sites, I'm inclined to think it's not.

But it's peculiar that no one seems to be publishing that information in a centralized resource.

Dry

Jack
09-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Entry lists are (sort of) posted at WTAworld.com. Go into the threads for upcoming tournaments and there's usually some commitment lists or entry posts.

There is some truth to the fact that the WTA doesn't want entry lists published, the WTAworld site was the center of some controversy when they shared the New Haven entry list before the website had it (and before the tournament director officially announced the full list to the press). They were ordered by the WTA to cease and desist :-X publishing the full lists until the information has been made public by the tournament director. But those in the know usually post hints at who will be attending.

Warning - my personal opinion - if you've never visited that site before, be prepared to be frightened. Some people there follow even the Challenger circuits closely. It's pretty intense. And there's a lot of posting that doesn't amount to much (cheering threads, live scoring threads, etc.) that you have to wade through to get meaningful information sometimes.

morct
09-19-2006, 07:34 AM

LMAO!

Well how'bout that?!

I have less than that but have to admit spent a minimal amount of time picking! Also with only 3 substitutions over 6 tournaments I think it will all even out! (And I will have less grey hairs than if I tried to figure out the best chances of 12 players not withdrawing etc)

shtexas
09-19-2006, 07:48 AM
Entry lists are (sort of) posted at WTAworld.com. Go into the threads for upcoming tournaments and there's usually some commitment lists or entry posts.

There is some truth to the fact that the WTA doesn't want entry lists published, the WTAworld site was the center of some controversy when they shared the New Haven entry list before the website had it (and before the tournament director officially announced the full list to the press). They were ordered by the WTA to cease and desist :-X publishing the full lists until the information has been made public by the tournament director. But those in the know usually post hints at who will be attending.

Warning - my personal opinion - if you've never visited that site before, be prepared to be frightened. Some people there follow even the Challenger circuits closely. It's pretty intense. And there's a lot of posting that doesn't amount to much (cheering threads, live scoring threads, etc.) that you have to wade through to get meaningful information sometimes.

I always say nasty things about them, but I admit that I used wta world to scout for this contest. Some of the later events didn't have full lists yet. But, it helped.

Jack
09-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Well, here I was feeling all high and mighty because I have all four of the Beijing semifinalists on my squad. But just to knock me down a peg, the draw for Luxemborg comes out and I have only three players in the event, two of whom are playing in the 1R (Venus v. Ivanovic). Oh cruel fates! :P