PDA

View Full Version : The "Thank you Moose" thread!

Drop-shot
09-03-2014, 05:37 PM
As you may or may not know, Moose, the father of the Suicide Pools and one of its main administrators for it is retiring from handling these. After 10 years, four times a year, he has done a magnificent job to TAT's credit and gain and for the personal enjoyment of many.
His is a worthy retirement and we should all take a moment to appreciate all his work and dedication to running these things that can insume hours of work, constant decision making when the weather runs amok and a lot of logistical issues which I'm probably forgetting.

So for all this lets aplaude him!

*Said by someone who joined TAT thanks to the SPs. :)

:overhead_clap::overhead_clap::overhead_clap:

Charlie02123
09-03-2014, 05:40 PM
:thanks: :kissing:

shtexas
09-03-2014, 05:42 PM
:cry:

Scotty
09-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Great job! :grouphug:

dryrunguy
09-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Moose, it would an interesting exercise to sit down and estimate the amount of time you have put into the suicide pools over the years, whether updating draws, preparing the threads, managing the practice pools, redding the dead--and of course, feeding coins into and selecting tunes for the Jukebox From Hell.... Just a quick calculation on my part, which is no doubt errant and probably underestimates your level of effort, came up with 3,360 hours of your time. ASTOUNDING.

Thank you for your service! And thank you for making suicide pool agony SO much fun for SO many!

lukeorion
09-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Thank you Moose!! SPs are the reason I joined TAT in the first place

JTContinental
09-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Yay! 10 years--you deserve a break!

shtexas
09-03-2014, 06:31 PM
I remember in the 2011 Aussie SP, I had a work crisis and Moose just stepped in, and in addition to all he was already doing, he ran the men's pool as well. It was a great comfort to know he was there at the ready. Amazing ten years, Moose! I'm going to miss working with you in my 10th year.

skatingfan
09-03-2014, 06:53 PM

Enjoy your retirement Moose.

dave g
09-03-2014, 07:07 PM
:shocked::thanks: and some of :tatrocks:

Moose,
I hope you know who you are. I haven't been around long enough to have a good count, but I am pretty sure that most of us started getting involved with this site due to the suicide draw pool. Your efforts have been a large part of what has made this website/group a success. If you were retiring from TAT, and not just suicide draw pools, it would really be :cry:

Thanks much,

No to go and find a picture of REALLY BIG SHOES

Ribbons
09-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Congratulations and thanks, Moose, for a decade's worth of redding the dead.

:axe: *buys a round of bloody marys for all the other losers in the lounge*

patrick
09-03-2014, 08:01 PM
You will be missed but you deserve all good things in whatever choices you make. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Togtdyalttai
09-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Thank you very much Moose. Like many others, I too came here because of the SP. Thank you for creating the channel through which all of us have come to join this great community, and for all the time and caring you put into maintaining it.

Woody
09-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Thanks for everything Moose! Hopefully you can find time for the occasional "Picks Analysis" in future SP's.

Kirkus
09-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Moose's crazy idea of a Tennis Suicide Pool 10 years ago has been the single most important promotional tool TAT has. The idea was pure genius. From 15 players in the inaugural Australian Open Suicide Pool in 2005 to the hundreds of players from around the world during this year's US Open Suicide Pool, I'm comfortable in saying Moose is responsible for many of the members and friends we have today on TAT.

Thank you for 10 years of dedication and generosity, my friend.

Kirkus
09-03-2014, 09:38 PM
The first ever Suicide Pool Thread:
http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/threads/2909-AO-Open-2005-Suicide-Pool

:)

Woody
09-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Woah, the SP used to be bisexual?!? When did that change?

shtexas
09-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Woah, the SP used to be bisexual?!? When did that change?

And we still couldn't get past the first few days.

gibbermiata
09-04-2014, 03:31 AM
Thanks very much. I've enjoyed it thoroughly.

sokoll
09-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Thanks, Moose! :overhead_clap::overhead_clap::overhead_clap:

mmmm8
09-04-2014, 07:02 AM
Thank you so much, Moose, for all the time, blood, sweat, and tears!

The contest is brilliant and invaluable to TAT!

Lots of :cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese: for you!

munchin
09-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Moose. The Suicide Pool is one of the largest aspects of the "character" of this place and it has directly and indirectly contributed to TAT's continued success and general awesomeness. Your contributions have been indescribably important.

Congrats on the well-earned calm period :cheesy:

TennisAnyone74
09-04-2014, 10:16 AM
Moose,

You brought me to TAT also because of the mess that became of TOB! You'd been telling me about these SPs before that, and I could kick myself for not trying them before I actually did join. Even so, I don't think I ever grasped that you were the creator of the SP! Ingenious - my friend. Thanks for all you've done and enjoy your breather.

TA

suliso
09-04-2014, 10:46 AM
What is there that hasn't been said yet? Thank you very much for founding this great contest and in general for helping to make this community such a pleasant place. Wishing many more years as a player instead of an organiser! :cool:

ponchi101
09-04-2014, 12:53 PM
I joined TAT because of Wertheim's link to the SP of the French Open in 2007. How hard could that be?, I stupidly thought to myself. 7 years later, I have yet to beat the draw, although this year I was successful in winning two pool.
And I didn't know, until today, this was Moose's idea.
As everybody here, I thank you a lot. TAT is an integral part of my enjoyment of tennis, and much more. The site has become a verifiable gold mine for information and opinion. And Moose's ideas and elegant style are something to enjoy.
Hope you will return as a player in the pools, and hope you will be able to beat the draw. On a regular basis, if not always... ;-)

mwoods
09-04-2014, 12:58 PM
The SP got me here too! So you all have Moose to blame! :cheesy:

aedra1119
09-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Moose, thank you so much for creating this frustrating but absolutely fun contest and for all of your hard work! :)

mysterX
09-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Like most everyone else, I came here to play in the suicide pools, but hung around for the intelligent commentary as well as all the contests. Thanks Moose, for inventing tennis's version of a suicide pool, and for all you've done for TAT over the years. I hope you continue to hang around here.

Who knows, maybe some day ESPN will make a 30 for 30 documentary about TAT suicide pool :cheesy:

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=silly-little-game

JazzNU
09-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks Moose! :overhead_clap::overhead_clap::overhead_clap:

I know it was a lot of work but it's one of the things I looked forward to the most during the slams. All your time and hard work is greatly appreciated.

funkstar
09-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Thanks for all the work, Moose!

Moose
09-05-2014, 06:47 AM
I appreciate all of your kind words, and I thank you for this tribute. It's been a real joy being able to run this these past ten years, but it is time for a break.

It is a blast looking at our first pool, and realizing how far we've come since then. We were still working on ins and outs, and thank God we didn't have 300+ people playing while we worked out the kinks. And it's hard to believe, after all these years, and all these pools, we still often finish with only one/a couple of winners almost every Slam. That amazes me.

Thank you, Kirk, for this playground. You saved me, and so many others, from the sheer ick that was TOB, and I am glad I was able to do something in return that contributed to the success of your vision.

L. Jon Wertheim has been a huge friend to us through the years, and I'd be remiss if I did not acknowledge that. What many of you might not know is the first time I reached out to him, it was just to have him play along (for those who do not know, he is Jon D'oh in the pool). I think that was USO '05. He enjoyed playing along so much, he asked if he could invite his readership, which resulted in many of you ending up here at TAT (and I think had Kirkus kneeling at the altar of the Server gods, praying that TAT would not blow up when we got a few thousand hits that first day). Somehow we had just enough duct tape and WD40 to keep TAT running through that first large pool, and recalibrated well enough afterward to keep things running smoothly since.

I'd also be remiss in not acknowledging my partner-in-SP lifeguarding, shtexas. We've had a long and successful run together, and the success of the game is as much about his efforts as they are Kirkus' and my own. Also, Scotty and Drop_Shot have been great help in administering a pool at the French and Wimbledon each year, which gave us a much-needed break. And Beaujarkko, if you check in and read this by chance, your efforts throughout the years assisting us were invaluable, and we all miss you dearly.

One other great thing about inventing something of this nature was how it led to other developments, and particularly how it brought GVGirl to us (again, through Wertheim), who then organized our first TAT USO Tailgate - which gave so many of us the chance to share our passion for the game in person and with each other. And that led to Scotty organizing an Indian Wells Tailgate, which is a highlight of each year for me. I still have my photo with Philipp Kohlschreiber hanging in my office at work - it is beyond question my single fondest tennis memory of all time - and that night, and special memory, never would have happened but for our SP.

I'll still be around, and I'll be playing. But I am a firm believer that you do your work, then step aside and let others take their turn. That's why I stepped down from a moderator position here after 5 years here, and am stepping down from a contest administrator position after 10 years. It's time for new members, and new ideas to build on what has been established, and to keep things fresh and interesting.

Thank you again for the kind words. Thanks for the laughs and for the bloodbaths. Thank you for the shared stories, the no-pick lists, and the fun that was the Loser's Lounge And thanks for joining us over the years.

Karl/Moose

PS - I will not miss typing Anastastia Pavlyuchenkova. Not one bit.

Synth
09-05-2014, 10:43 PM
Thanks for all the joy (and suffering) you've brought to the many many participants of the pool through the years. :)

morct
09-05-2014, 11:19 PM
I'm another one brought here by Moose and his torturous SP's. He was a big part of the reason that I stayed around too, a fellow Clijsters fan! Huge thank you for all the work you put in, I don't think anyone realises how intense it is for shtexas and Moose during SP fortnights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drop-shot
09-06-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm another one brought here by Moose and his torturous SP's. He was a big part of the reason that I stayed around too, a fellow Clijsters fan! Huge thank you for all the work you put in, I don't think anyone realises how intense it is for shtexas and Moose during SP fortnights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How true. They make it look easier than it is. There are so many moving parts to it, you only realize it when you're in charge of them.

lbk77
09-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks Karl/Moose! The SP has entertained, challenged and frustrated me a lot over the years. I am always amazed by the efficiency with which the SP is run slam after slam. The hard work and meticulousness of the moderators is much appreciated.

joanjettson
09-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Thanks, Moose! I hope you will still be playing/suffering with the rest of us. Never trust a "K" match on the women's side!

winston
09-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Yep, I'm another one who showed up here because of the SP you created. What a blast, except for the kicking and screaming when you forget who's on the Do Not Pick List.
Thanks for everything, Moose. And there's a good chance I may be going to Indian Wells this year. Sure hope you'll be there this time. Would love to meet you in person.

Moose
09-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Never trust a "K" match on the women's side!

You've learned well, grasshopper :) So sorry we missed you at the Open, I had such a great time last year with you and your buddy Carlos Rodriguez! We will def get a match together next year.

Moose
09-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Thanks for everything, Moose. And there's a good chance I may be going to Indian Wells this year. Sure hope you'll be there this time. Would love to meet you in person.

That would be fantastic if you attend, Winston. Going to a slam is special, but I love Indian Wells, because it is so fan friendly (and the smaller courts are wonderful). We usually attend matches Fri/Sat/Sun of week 1, which will be March 13-15, 2015. Be fantastic to share some time there.

stracciatella
09-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Thank you, Moose! I discovered TAT about four years ago (through reading SI, as well) and both my dad ("redclay") and I love playing. We also go to Indian Wells often and hope to see you there next year! All the best and thanks for all your hard work! --stracciatella :-)