View Full Version : Server upgrade around the corner

07-29-2014, 11:49 AM
It's going to be necessary to have some software on our server upgraded shortly. I don't believe there will be any need to shut down the forum. I think the upgrade can take place in the background with only a short amount of down time (several minutes at most) while the server is rebooted.

I'm not sure when this will take place, but I expect it to be done within the next 7 days or so.

07-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Disregard the server upgrade announcement I had up for a few minutes earlier. It looks like this won't happen for at least another day or two.

07-31-2014, 12:38 AM
It turns out this could be a bigger deal than I thought.

We want to update our content area and home page. But in order to do so we need to upgrade some server software (for those who understand this stuff, we're running very old versions of PHP and MySQL). However, I need to verify that our other stuff, our old/new forum and some of the other sites that are hosted on our server, for instance, will still run OK after the server upgrade.

Anyway, semi-long story a tiny bit shorter: I may have to shut the forum down while the upgrade is being done. If that's the case, and if I can get verified what I need to verify in time, I'll try and plan that for late Friday night/Saturday morning as i like to do when possible (you know, when most of our members are out partying).

I'll post all relevant updates to this thread so watch for it in the RPB.

08-03-2014, 01:06 PM
This upgrade (now a major upgrade) won't happen for a week to several weeks. If I can get it done at least one week before the US Open, I will. If not, I'll wait until after the US Open.

08-11-2014, 01:54 AM
Short post: Apologies for the site problems tonight/this morning. Everything should be OK now. Our server software is now pretty up to date and we might even see a slight improvement in performance.

Longer post: The problems were caused by miscommunication between me and our hosting company and a problem that arose during the upgrade process. We'd scheduled the upgrade for 1am EDT but they started it an hour earlier. I came on about 10 minutes to 1am to shut the forum down and the server was already in melt down mode. I didn't want to rock the boat so I decided to not shut down the forum. After 2.5 hours of me :freekingout: , which included a frantic chat session with tech support and several beers, everything appears to be running fine now. *knocks on wood*