PDA

View Full Version : Would you use a "Like" system in the forum?

Kirkus
07-08-2014, 02:23 PM
I've received some feedback telling me that if one thing is missed on this forum that we had on the other site is the ability to "Like" posts and comments.

I've been testing a "Like" system for forum posts here. It would allow you to "Like" posts in our forums here. Would you like to see something like this?

EDIT: Removed the description to "Thanks for a post" and "Dislike" posts.

shtexas
07-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Not always crazy about dislike. Otherwise, yes!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2

Miles
07-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Likes and Dislikes on an open forum will only serve as a popularity contest and lead to further group think and make this shrinking community even more insular. We've lost enough members already. Let's not find new ways to do it.

suliso
07-08-2014, 03:02 PM
I've seen the option used on other forums and in my opinion it does nothing in one direction or another and is thus unneeded.

mmmm8
07-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Is it possible to limit it to just a Like option?

Kirkus
07-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Is it possible to limit it to just a Like option?

Yes.

Kirkus
07-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Sometimes it's nice to have the ability to agree with a post without creating a new post that says, "I agree" or "+1".

Miles
07-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Just consider the intimidation it will create for anyone speaking in the "minority voice" in the religion, politics, et al threads.

suliso
07-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Depends how easily one is intimidated… Seriously "like" or no "like" I don't care too much, but please no "dislike".

Drop-shot
07-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Just consider the intimidation it will create for anyone speaking in the "minority voice" in the religion, politics, et al threads.

I don't see how it's any different from the "co-sign" which we so often use.

Kirkus
07-08-2014, 03:31 PM
There are actually quite a few forum options available that I've never enabled for the reasons described above, like "Member Reputation", "Member Rating", etc. And, while testing the "Like" system I'm looking at, I immediately disabled the "Thanks for this post" and "Dislike" options. I shouldn't have included them in the description. Neither of them would be included.

lukeorion
07-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Overall I'm indifferent about it.

mmmm8
07-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Overall I'm indifferent about it.

This should be a button option ;)

Togtdyalttai
07-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I'd use it. I did like that on the other forum.

Charlie02123
07-08-2014, 11:48 PM
I voted no and was pretty surprised to see so many yeses.

I understand the point Miles made but I'm not sure it would ever be used enough to be intimidating. On the other forum I only saw the occasional post get one or two likes. While it might get used more often here I don't think it would ever get to the point where almost every post was getting 10+ likes and someone was feeling like a non-star-bellied-Sneetch.

There are a few things that don't thrill me about it.

1) I don't like being notified. "Hey look, a notification! Did someone PM me!? ... 'So-and-so like your post of 'Fun Match!'" It seemed anti-climactic. I think I'd rather have one person say "I agree" than have three give a like and get notified each time.

2) I don't like extra buttons I can accidentally click on. I was once trying to cut and paste something and accidentally liked a weeks old post. Then you can un-like it. Does that person still get notified, then end up super confused? It reminds me of Reddit, where there's a number of things I could accidentally click on if I'm just scrolling down.

3) It's like Facebook. Don't we all get ENOUGH Facebook in our lives? To me, any additions that are similar to Facebook are negatives, not positives. I understand that it's a way to agree with a click of a button, but the Smiley of your choice is only two extra clicks (Respond-Smiley-Post).

All these things are just "C-" qualities to me, so it's fine if we add it.

skatingfan
07-09-2014, 05:11 AM
I 'like' Charlie's post.

James7
07-09-2014, 09:31 AM
I don't see the problem with it. I used to 'dislike' seeing RPBs updated with nothing but "i agree", "+1", or "this" posts.

Kirkus
07-09-2014, 09:36 AM
I 'like' Charlie's post.
LOL.

The system I'm looking at will not send notifications. It's moot now, but the site we're moving back from gave each member the option of receiving "Like" notifications or not.

ptmcmahon
07-09-2014, 08:49 PM
I don't see the problem with it. I used to 'dislike' seeing RPBs updated with nothing but "i agree", "+1", or "this" posts.

I would change my vote to yes for the sake of get rid of those! :D

Miles
07-09-2014, 11:01 PM

Unfortunately the Like button still won't solve the problem of those posts that list a player's name with an exclamation point just because said player won a match.

mwoods
07-10-2014, 08:28 AM

This.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)