PDA

View Full Version : THRNY 2014 - The Red, White and Blue Lounge

munchin
07-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Fantasy Tennis is tough! Stop by the Lounge, order yourself a Budweiser (or a Crown Royal, or an Aguardiente, as the case may be) and gloat, share your regrets, commiserate and mock Donald Young Florian Mayer the player you knew you shouldn't have put on your team, but did anyway.

Have fun!

ptmcmahon
07-12-2014, 08:05 PM
We're retroactively getting points for Hewitt and Karlovic this week right? These old guys aren't saving anything for the contest!

Also if Klahn does well I may be in trouble as everyone seems to be adding him. I dunno much about him other than he has one main level win year.

skatingfan
07-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Congrats to mysterX, Omegadoom & Miles on winning week one. :)

skatingfan
07-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Congrats to Ribbons on having five of the Atlanta quarter-finalists on your team - great picks.

ptmcmahon
07-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Holy crap...five?

Ribbons
07-24-2014, 10:07 PM
Congrats to Ribbons on having five of the Atlanta quarter-finalists on your team - great picks.

Thank you. It does ease the "Kevin Anderson WTH!?" and the gutted-for-Ginepri aspect of this evening. ;)

skatingfan
07-25-2014, 04:52 AM
Holy crap...five?

Matosevic, Sela, Sock, Lacko & Becker :cool:

ptmcmahon
07-25-2014, 08:26 AM
Four of those I can get but ... Sela? Nice pick. I've sworn off him from all competitions as he's always been 100% useless for me.

Only two have Matosevic for that matter too.

ptmcmahon
07-26-2014, 04:26 AM
Matosevic, Sela, Sock, Lacko & Becker :cool:

I was about to say...and now all four semifinalists too...only realizing now Ribbons doesn't have Isner which would have been the easiest to pick of all of them...making it that much more impressive.

Ribbons
07-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Kei is going to be the death of me, contest-wise. First he sends me stumbling out of the Wimbledon suicide pool, and now I'm hearing (via @thetennisnerds) that he had to have his ankle looked at during practice this morning...

ptmcmahon
07-29-2014, 11:45 AM
Yeah his injuries are getting to be too much for me to trust him in any contests

ptmcmahon
07-31-2014, 08:29 PM
SOOOOO glad I added Berdych.

skatingfan
07-31-2014, 09:50 PM

Soooo glad that I didn't :cheesy: - cant' believe Gasket made it further.

Drop-shot
08-01-2014, 06:38 AM

Me tooooooooo!!!! :bat:

Should've known better.

Anyways, I'm developing this nasty habit of making bad trades.

mysterX
08-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Yeah, those of us who forgot to trade Berdych in for kept Gasquet made a really smart decision. :cheesy:

ptmcmahon
08-01-2014, 08:56 PM
It worked out for me that Dimitrov withdrew as I was originally dropping Gasquet to get Berdych. I guess I shouldn't have been so mad at Dimitrov and his "flu."

skatingfan
08-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Congrats to Charlie for having all four semi-finalists this week.

Charlie02123
08-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Congrats to Charlie for having all four semi-finalists this week.
Huzzah! I noticed I had 5/8 QFists but didn't think this would happen. Hopefully this gives me a nice boost.

ptmcmahon
08-02-2014, 08:16 PM
So having only one isn't good? ;)

My lack of faith in fellow Canadians is undoing me in this contest! I am okay with it though. Just doing my part.

skatingfan
08-02-2014, 11:27 PM
So having only one isn't good? ;)

My lack of faith in fellow Canadians is undoing me in this contest! I am okay with it though. Just doing my part.

I gotta say I was just thinking the same thing - but as a fellow Canadian (and the others on this site) how much is it blowing your mind that there is going to be an all Canadian final in professional tennis - never thought I would see that in my lifetime - simple blowing my mind. :cheesy: - on the verge of tears :drunk1::drunk1::drunk1:

Even the idea that in a tennis pick-em contest eight people would take two Canadians as players to gain points - and 15 of 17 have a Canadian on their team - blowing my mind. Really want to see Vasek win this thing but either way it is a great Canadian accomplishment in tennis. It's the top story on every Canadian sports page :freekingout:

ptmcmahon
08-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Down three already! It's a good thing Isner won Atlanta too or he would be the biggest waste of space in this contest.

ptmcmahon
08-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Another garbage trade! Don't worry everyone who added Federer - I didn't so he'll be safe.

ptmcmahon
08-07-2014, 07:05 PM
If you had told me Anderson would be my only quarterfinalist this week...I never would have believed you.

skatingfan
08-07-2014, 08:54 PM
If you had told me Anderson would be my only quarterfinalist this week...I never would have believed you.

He has to lose tomorrow :wall:

Drop-shot
08-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Querrey is such a waste of space.

skatingfan
08-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Querrey is such a waste of space.

In this competition yes :(

skatingfan
08-14-2014, 07:53 PM
Wow, that was a blood bath today. No one has a player left in the top half and only one person has more than 2 players left in the tournament.

ptmcmahon
08-15-2014, 03:55 AM
Well at least I can proved Isner for Murray was a good trade since Murray beat him head to head. But for masters events these last two weeks have been very brutal!

Drop-shot
08-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Oh crap. I thought W-S would begin Monday. If I had any chance at all it's gone now.

ptmcmahon
08-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Like most of the trades we've all made this contest...this week's ones will probably all crash and burn.

Ribbons
08-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Oh crap. I thought W-S would begin Monday. If I had any chance at all it's gone now.

I feel your pain -- while I got my trades for this contest in on time, my ProPelican bracket is already completely borked, because I failed to realize that main draw play would start well before qualifying finished. :wall:

Drop-shot
08-18-2014, 05:24 AM
I feel your pain -- while I got my trades for this contest in on time, my ProPelican bracket is already completely borked, because I failed to realize that main draw play would start well before qualifying finished. :wall:

I sort of gave up on it. The login is such a hassle. Does that happen to you?

Ribbons
08-18-2014, 07:12 AM
I sort of gave up on it. The login is such a hassle. Does that happen to you?

It's been glitchy on my end, but not a deal-breaker. Plus I'm rarely sure when to blame my own computer/cookies.

Drop-shot
08-18-2014, 08:07 AM
It's been glitchy on my end, but not a deal-breaker. Plus I'm rarely sure when to blame my own computer/cookies.

I think that if it's a widespread problem it probably has to do with something from their site.

I might bother for the USO.

Charlie02123
08-18-2014, 12:36 PM
I glanced at the teams for the top four. We all have Isner, so his results are insignificant. I think these are the players we have this week:

mysterx (768): Johnson, Robredo, Lu
Omega (738): Querrey, Anderson
skatingfan (735): Querrey, Klahn, Anderson
Charlie (727): Querrey, Johnson, Young, Klahn

How Querrey and Anderson do will probably decide medal order. I'll be needing my scrubs to come up big.

(Munchin and waylandboy are right behind me, but I didn't check out their teams.)

munchin
08-18-2014, 02:12 PM
I glanced at the teams for the top four. We all have Isner, so his results are insignificant. I think these are the players we have this week:

mysterx (768): Johnson, Robredo, Lu
Omega (738): Querrey, Anderson
skatingfan (735): Querrey, Klahn, Anderson
Charlie (727): Querrey, Johnson, Young, Klahn

How Querrey and Anderson do will probably decide medal order. I'll be needing my scrubs to come up big.

(Munchin and waylandboy are right behind me, but I didn't check out their teams.)

I (715) have Robredo, Querrey, Anderson, Young
waylandboy (713) has Melzer, Johnson, Querrey, Gonzalez
lukeorion is in the mix (687) with Anderson, Robredo, Querrey, Johnson, Young and Klahn (a pretty stacked deck, potentially)
Ribbons (674) could cause some damage, in theory, with Becker (only player holding him), Anderson, Robredo

Charlie02123
08-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Oof. My chances are much worse than I thought.

It's fun that this will come down to such a small and random tournament.

lukeorion
08-18-2014, 03:10 PM
tricky tricky

ptmcmahon
08-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Don't get too excited...the player I traded it is looking good...already took out a player ranked higher than him today! And people from his country have been doing very well for people in the contest so far.

skatingfan
08-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Don't get too excited...the player I traded it is looking good...already took out a player ranked higher than him today! And people from his country have been doing very well for people in the contest so far.

Frank all the way.

skatingfan
08-18-2014, 07:53 PM
A couple of key matches in this tournament tomorrow - Querrey vs. Johnson & Isner vs. Klahn - Querrey vs. Johnson could be crucial to whom end up on the podium - particularly if either player has a deep run and I know that I need Klahn to beat Isner in order to catch Omegadoom - if Isner wins I might stay on the podium but probably won't finish any better than 3rd - the other key will be who does better between Anderson & Robredo.

dave g
08-19-2014, 01:07 PM
A couple of key matches in this tournament tomorrow - Querrey vs. Johnson & Isner vs. Klahn - Querrey vs. Johnson could be crucial to whom end up on the podium - particularly if either player has a deep run and I know that I need Klahn to beat Isner in order to catch Omegadoom - if Isner wins I might stay on the podium but probably won't finish any better than 3rd - the other key will be who does better between Anderson & Robredo.

You missed the other big match: Mahut vs Robredo. But I don't think anyone would have correctly predicted its outcome.
Commiserations to our Robredo pickers.

skatingfan
08-19-2014, 02:09 PM
You missed the other big match: Mahut vs Robredo. But I don't think anyone would have correctly predicted its outcome.
Commiserations to our Robredo pickers.

The important thing there is that Anderson won and Robredo lost - at least important to those of us with Anderson and not Robredo.

Charlie02123
08-19-2014, 06:49 PM
I believe waylandboy, Ribbons, and lukeorion are out of contention. I think this is how the board looks now. (EVERYONE has Isner, right?)

mysterx (768) : Lu
Omega (738) : Querrey, Anderson
skatingfan (735) : Querrey, Anderson
Charlie (727) : Querrey, Young
munchin (715) : Querrey, Anderson, Young

Querrey v Anderson tomorrow will decide if I stay in the hunt. I need Querrey to win, but then I think I still need Young to win another match or two.

skatingfan
08-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Well, I can't win but can still finish 2nd or 3rd - will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

mysterX
08-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Crap. I thought Anderson was already on my team. I am regretting that Robredo trade big time.

munchin
08-20-2014, 09:10 AM
I believe waylandboy, Ribbons, and lukeorion are out of contention. I think this is how the board looks now. (EVERYONE has Isner, right?)

mysterx (768) : Lu
Omega (738) : Querrey, Anderson
skatingfan (735) : Querrey, Anderson
Charlie (727) : Querrey, Young
munchin (715) : Querrey, Anderson, Young

Querrey v Anderson tomorrow will decide if I stay in the hunt. I need Querrey to win, but then I think I still need Young to win another match or two.

Wow, I think there's technically a scenario in which I win the contest. It would require Donald Young winning a title, so it won't happen, but that's still something to cling to I guess.

skatingfan
08-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Wow, I think there's technically a scenario in which I win the contest. It would require Donald Young winning a title, so it won't happen, but that's still something to cling to I guess.

Oh, you jinxed Young :(

So the winner will be either Omegadoom or mysterX - Omegadoom needs Querrey to make the final if Lu loses his next match or win the title if Lu makes the semis - mysterX wins if anything else happens.

skatingfan
08-22-2014, 08:10 PM
Congrats to mysterX for winning the The Hard Road to New York :)

Ribbons
08-23-2014, 05:43 AM
*looks at mysterX's medal collection*
:notworthy:
(Congrats!)