PDA

View Full Version : Ask Questions About the Suicide Pool here

Moose
01-10-2007, 06:28 AM
If you have questions about the 2007 Australian Open Suicide Pool, ask them here.

MeganFernandez
01-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Rookie here fired up like a Melbourne-based Greek Cypriot for this year's AO. But - where will we post the day's pick? Do we simply post it to a designated message board, and someone's going to keep track of each person's progress?

Thanks! And good luck!

dryrunguy
01-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Rookie here fired up like a Melbourne-based Greek Cypriot for this year's AO. But - where will we post the day's pick? Do we simply post it to a designated message board, and someone's going to keep track of each person's progress?

Thanks! And good luck!

Hi, Megan! And welcome to TAT!

There will be designated threads for each day of the tournament--one for the men and one for the women. Predictions are posted in those threads. Then there are also picks and results threads where everyone's predictions are posted and "redded out" when a player loses.

Shtexas and Moose are the ones who start each thread each day and track everyone's progress.

Good luck!

Dry

Kirkus
01-10-2007, 01:56 PM
As an example, Megan... here's the Day 1 pick thread from last year's US Open for the Men's draw:

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/cgi-bin/TATv2/YaBB.pl?num=1156633180

And here's the women's draw results thread from last year's US Open:

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/cgi-bin/TATv2/YaBB.pl?num=1156778978

This should help explain the process. BTW, welcome to TAT and good luck! :)

Jay
01-11-2007, 04:36 AM
So we only can pick ONE player each day, or can we pick more than one?

dryrunguy
01-11-2007, 04:52 AM

One man and one woman per day, Jessie! Fun, but risky stuff.

Dry

Jay
01-11-2007, 04:54 AM

One man and one woman per day, Jessie! Fun, but risky stuff.

Dry

aah, fun. Thanx.
I'm thoroughly frightened now. Thanx [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
:-X :-/

MeganFernandez
01-11-2007, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the answers and examples. I get it. Now if I could wrap my head around the time zone thing. For Monday's matches, we actually have to pick them on Sunday, right?

Moose
01-11-2007, 06:59 AM
yes Megan....play begins 11:00 a.m. on Monday, January 15. So your Day 1 picks will be due NO LATER THAN 7:00 P.M. (USA Eastern Time) on Sunday, January 14.

shtexas
01-12-2007, 09:59 AM
We will post two separate threads - one for the men and one for the women - once the AO actually posts their order of play for day 1. They will be titled something like "AO Mens SP Picks Day 1" or "AO Womens SP Picks Day 1".

Once the threads are up, you will post your picks in those threads.

Not sure when they are releasing the order of play, but they have a third day of qualifying to go first.

Snidely
01-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Hey Moose - Can you post the SP Player Rankings? I think a great addition would be an additional column that shows "points at risk"? I think this would better show which players at the top of the rankings stand to gain or lose the most.

Moose
01-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Hey Moose - Can you post the SP Player Rankings? I think a great addition would be an additional column that shows "points at risk"? I think this would better show which players at the top of the rankings stand to gain or lose the most.

hey Snidely...welcome back. Glad to see you joining us again!

Funny you should bring up the rankings. We've been working on tracking down the standings. We had a technology hiccup. We're trying to get them up, so please bear with us.

Scotty
01-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Be gentle ... it's my first time.

This is probably looking too far ahead, but with the Men's semis on 2 different days, do we have to pick a winner for each? Wouldn't that leave us with no one to pick in the final, if the semi picks were both correct?

Last time I tried a Suicide Pool, Schiavone lost to a British wild card. Since WHEN do they know which end of the racket to hold? :-?

shtexas
01-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Be gentle ... it's my first time.

This is probably looking too far ahead, but with the Men's semis on 2 different days, do we have to pick a winner for each? Wouldn't that leave us with no one to pick in the final, if the semi picks were both correct?

Last time I tried a Suicide Pool, Schiavone lost to a British wild card. Since WHEN do they know which end of the racket to hold? :-?

Hi Scotty! Only one semifinal pick will need to be made. Divided quarterfinals are a separate matter which is why Wimbledon may be the easiest major for a suicide pool player since all their quarterfinals are on the same day.