PDA

View Full Version : Forum rule changes

Kirkus
07-15-2013, 02:51 PM
The following forum rule has been changed and now reads as follows:

3. If referencing an article, or portion of an article, from another internet or print source, please post only a small snippet of the article and include a link to the original article in the post. The author's name must also be included in the post. Any items posted that do not follow this rule will be subject to removal without notice.

The following forum rule has been added:

4. Please do not post, or link to, any copyrighted images or media, including but not limited to: photographs, videos, sound files, or text files. Any such links or posts will be subject to removal with notice.

Moose
07-16-2013, 07:06 AM
The following forum rule has been added:

4. Please do not post, or link to, any copyrighted images or media, including but not limited to: photographs, videos, sound files, or text files. Any such links or posts will be subject to removal with notice.

I think you mean "without notice" :)

Totally understand the rule, but probably every photo we encounter, and just about every YouTube video is copyright material, fyi. Maybe someone who has some knowledge on "fair use" can shed some light for us.

Example- the WTA has just released a new batch of "Strong Is Beautiful" - includes Robson, Sloane, Mirza, a very hot looking Hlavackova, and Big Sexy, among others. I abstained from posting any of them, because no doubt they are copyrighted. At the same time, I'm sure the WTA puts them out there to promote their "product", and likes to see them referenced.

suliso
07-16-2013, 08:21 AM
So can we post any pictures at all which are not self made? It doesn't seem to be a problem for other major boards so I don't see why it should be for us...

Kirkus
07-16-2013, 09:29 AM
I think you mean "without notice" :)

Totally understand the rule, but probably every photo we encounter, and just about every YouTube video is copyright material, fyi. Maybe someone who has some knowledge on "fair use" can shed some light for us.

Example- the WTA has just released a new batch of "Strong Is Beautiful" - includes Robson, Sloane, Mirza, a very hot looking Hlavackova, and Big Sexy, among others. I abstained from posting any of them, because no doubt they are copyrighted. At the same time, I'm sure the WTA puts them out there to promote their "product", and likes to see them referenced.

I did mean "without notice". Thanks! :)

So can we post any pictures at all which are not self made? It doesn't seem to be a problem for other major boards so I don't see why it should be for us...

The other major boards probably have legal departments or enough money to defend themselves if they run into legal trouble. ;)

I'm doing some research, and may consult with an attorney, but for the time being, if any copyrighted image is posted in the forum, it's subject to removal. That's all.

James7
07-16-2013, 12:25 PM
The way I read this is that it's not going to be removed unless you get some notice to do so, yes?

Kirkus
07-16-2013, 12:43 PM
The way I read this is that it's not going to be removed unless you get some notice to do so, yes?

:)

For the time being, that is correct.

::

I'm dealing with a legal issue that's come up and I'm trying to figure out how to proceed. There are probably more changes on the horizon and I'll make sure everyone knows what's going on and how it will impact our forum as soon as I figure it out.

suliso
07-16-2013, 12:56 PM
And how do I figure out for sure that a given picture is copyrighted?

Kirkus
07-16-2013, 01:04 PM
And how do I figure out for sure that a given picture is copyrighted?

I'm not at all versed in the legalities, but I do know that when the shutter button is pushed, the photo is copyrighted. Copyright protection may not have been filed with the appropriate agencies, but it is still protected property.

There's a good article here on the subject, including what constitutes "fair use".

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/

::

Right now, as far as moderating what's being posted on TAT, I have to be fairly strict... until I understand more.

suliso
07-16-2013, 01:20 PM
So no more player photos on TAT? If yes then please do state it clearly and without referencing legal articles...

I used to post quite a few, but I don't absolutely have to. I'm not going to leave the site because of it ;)

Kirkus
07-16-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm still trying to figure it out. I haven't decided yet exactly what to do. So, I guess in the meantime, don't post any player pics.

I'll let everyone know what's going to happen as soon as I know what's going to happen. :)

shtexas
07-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Unfortunately, copyright laws are miles behind the speed of the internet, and now, social media. So, clear answers are hard to get.

Kirkus
09-18-2013, 09:46 AM
I've moved our 'photo-heavy' tennis threads back out.

If I'm given a 'cease and desist' notice, I'll deal with it at the time.

JTContinental
09-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Yay, photos!

skatingfan
09-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Woohoo :cheesy:

Kirkus
09-18-2013, 02:28 PM
When/If you post a photo that doesn't belong to you, and you can identify the photographer and give credit, that will go a long way in keeping me out of trouble.

suliso
09-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks, kirkus. I think we'll be ok, particularly if we avoid all those fashion photos we used to post. I bet you are lot more likely to get in trouble for those than with tennis.