PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Men's P&R Thread

Drop-shot
06-29-2013, 07:34 AM
In honor of the 33 that made it this "far".

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/sp/WimbledonMensSP13-91.htm

We've already lost more than half of them however. :cheesy:

Drop-shot
06-29-2013, 07:36 AM
The second largest bandwagon (Gasquet 7) takes another step towards the precipice.

shtexas
06-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Unbelievable

suliso
06-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Maybe ponchi really was right :cheesy:

e11even
06-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Thanks, Drop! Happy to at least make it to the updated picks thread! :D

Irena2
06-29-2013, 07:45 AM
I can't believe there are more of us left on the women's side than the men's! (Thank you, Monica Puig.) Is this a first? Is this the lowest number of people left before the middle Sunday, ever?

shtexas
06-29-2013, 08:10 AM
I can't believe there are more of us left on the women's side than the men's! (Thank you, Monica Puig.) Is this a first? Is this the lowest number of people left before the middle Sunday, ever?

Other than the early days, has to be.

thedinosaur
06-29-2013, 08:17 AM
and now there are only 7 remaining!

AttackTheNet
06-29-2013, 08:18 AM
And we're down to 7 with Gasquet's loss. Unbelievable.

AttackTheNet
06-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Our Dodig picker could be the winner today!

Drop-shot
06-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Who would've thought that Dodig was such a great choice?

FredX
06-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Raises a glass to my fellow 33, then goes to find the "Kei-O'd" table in the Loser's Lounge.

Ribbons
06-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Who would've thought that Dodig was such a great choice?

I'm admiring TeamBJK's entire series: Stepanek Bautista Agut Youzhny Chardy Mannarino Dodig. That's a lot of gutsy calls!

joanjettson
06-29-2013, 08:34 AM
K name will KO your game!

mwoods
06-29-2013, 08:35 AM
I'm admiring TeamBJK's entire series: Stepanek Bautista Agut Youzhny Chardy Mannarino Dodig. That's a lot of gutsy calls!

LOL, I was just going to post the same thing. He/she deserves a medal for courage/insanity.

SwissBliss
06-29-2013, 08:37 AM
I won with DE SCHEPPER over 68 bandwagon fools that didn't bother to look up that Monaco had a 3-7 lifetime record on grass compared to a 271-205 record overall. I knew last night if Kenny won that Reesh would implode.

I violated too many of the cardinal rules: Don't bet on Reesh, don't bet on Frenchies, and never bet on Frenchies back to back. My moment of glory with Kenny de Schepper has turned to ashes in my mouth. Viva la guillotine.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/fighting/guillotine-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/emoticons.html)

Moose
06-29-2013, 08:54 AM
I remember a few years back we has a Mens WimbySP with (I believe) over 200 players going into Week 2, and we needed Richard Gasquet to save the day.

To have less than 10 folks survive to Week 2 this year amazes me.

shtexas
06-29-2013, 09:20 AM
I won with DE SCHEPPER over 68 bandwagon fools that didn't bother to look up that Monaco had a 3-7 lifetime record on grass compared to a 271-205 record overall. I knew last night if Kenny won that Reesh would implode.

I violated too many of the cardinal rules: Don't bet on Reesh, don't bet on Frenchies, and never bet on Frenchies back to back. My moment of glory with Kenny de Schepper has turned to ashes in my mouth. Viva la guillotine.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/fighting/guillotine-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/emoticons.html)

Many of us "fools" as you call us knew Monaco's record on grass (without looking it up) but also knew De Schepper had won, what, a total of 4 ATP matches, and he is no youngster. So, you take the seed despite Monaco's grass record. Calculated risk. Bad result. Not in the least bit sorry about it.

Federex
06-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Well Said Shtexas! Monaco is a calculated risk that doesn't paid off (and considered Paire also lost, are there really a good pick there?)
You got lucky with a coin-flip doesn't necessary means the other are fool.

suliso
06-29-2013, 09:30 AM
In retrospect Youzhny was the only reasonable pick and those who took it lived a bit longer. My resolution - more risk taking at this stage next time I play!

Synth
06-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Hm, going with Monaco for me was more picking against a player than picking for a player (which is the same reason I stayed away from Youzhny), I had very little faith in de Schwepper to pull off the upset and had seen Troicki pull off upsets before. Agreed with shtexas, don't regret it one bit.

JazzNU
06-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Juan Martin won like I knew he would. Too bad Paire's not as trustworthy. Good luck to those who remain.

suliso
06-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Hm, going with Monaco for me was more picking against a player than picking for a player (which is the same reason I stayed away from Youzhny), I had very little faith in de Schwepper to pull off the upset and had seen Troicki pull off upsets before. Agreed with shtexas, don't regret it one bit.

Really? Youzhny is one of the best grass players out there. The only thing what put me off was his bad h2h with Troicki. I should have realised that none of those were on grass and thus do not matter.

Basically Paire was a stupid choice I made, Nishikori was a reasonable one but no luck. Of course a loss is a loss...

Irena2
06-29-2013, 09:37 AM

Yes, the lesser of two evils pick - like voting for government officials. *sigh*

Drop-shot
06-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Many of us "fools" as you call us knew Monaco's record on grass (without looking it up) but also knew De Schepper had won, what, a total of 4 ATP matches, and he is no youngster. So, you take the seed despite Monaco's grass record. Calculated risk. Bad result. Not in the least bit sorry about it.

Indeed. Besides, Monaco beat Ram convincingly and Ram tends to do not that badly on grass.

JTContinental
06-29-2013, 01:41 PM
David made me sweat it, but I'm one of the lucky 7!

Irena2
06-29-2013, 01:44 PM

Congratulations to you and the 6 survivors! Especially Mr_Socko, who is the only one alive in both pools.

Drop-shot
06-29-2013, 03:06 PM

You guys deserve an appropriate song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5EofwRzit0

Drop-shot
06-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Link updated

AttackTheNet
06-29-2013, 03:32 PM
More matches to be played on Monday than players left in the men's SP. Would not have put money on that a week ago!

Drop-shot
07-01-2013, 04:22 AM
And then there were 8...

Lets see how you picked:

Del Potro 1: IF he were healthy, I'd like this pick, but given that he's may not even show up this was an unnecessary risk. Should he win, it will pay off since he's not getting past Ferrer and less so with a bum knee.

Janowicz 1: I liked what I saw against Almagro. If he can keep it up he has a decent shot at the semis. This would've probably been my choice.

Ferrer 2: it says here that he'll win two more matches, so depending on who you have left, this is a great choice or a premature one.

Verdasco 3: out of all the picks, he's probably the best. Winnable match. Loses to Murray next round. Everything clicks. Only risk is himself.

Berdych 1: one would think Tomas will overpower Bernie, but this is not a match I'd choose from if possible.

AttackTheNet
07-01-2013, 05:24 AM
Hi Drop. I thought we were down to 7 after day 6's play? 30 started day 6 and we lost 7 Gasquets and 16 Nishikoris. Are my numbers wrong?

Drop-shot
07-01-2013, 05:30 AM
Yes, because in my initial count I was missing a Berdych.

suliso
07-01-2013, 05:34 AM
I would have gone with Dodig if still alive. Seriously. Ferrer's ability on grass is highly overrated.

Drop-shot
07-01-2013, 05:34 AM
Link updated

AttackTheNet
07-01-2013, 05:42 AM
Yes, because in my initial count I was missing a Berdych.

I've got the Berdych. I have 4 Haas, 7 Gasquet, 1 Berdych, 1 Ferrer, 1 Dodig, and 16 Nishikori. That's 30 - 23 = 7. What am I leaving out?

AttackTheNet
07-01-2013, 07:14 AM
I found it, Drop. It was Klaywien's pick of Berdych that originally got recorded as NP. So we have 8 remaining.

jazzyg
07-01-2013, 07:50 AM
I would have gone with Dodig if still alive. Seriously. Ferrer's ability on grass is highly overrated.

Wow. You know a lot about tennis, but we completely disagree on that point. Ferrer served for a two-set lead on Murray in the quarters last year, has one of the best return of serves I've ever seen and moves incredibly well on grass. For the last three years he's played well enough to make the semis with better draws, which he got this year. I would have picked him today if I still were in the contest, and I'll be very surprised if he loses to Delpo if they play in the quarters.

suliso
07-01-2013, 07:58 AM
Wow. You know a lot about tennis, but we completely disagree on that point. Ferrer served for a two-set lead on Murray in the quarters last year, has one of the best return of serves I've ever seen and moves incredibly well on grass. For the last three years he's played well enough to make the semis with better draws, which he got this year. I would have picked him today if I still were in the contest, and I'll be very surprised if he loses to Delpo if they play in the quarters.

I exaggerated and probably wouldn't have picked him if I really was alive. Nevertheless I don't see him as a threat to win Wimbledon at all. Roland Garros without Rafa around would be another story. Someone more attacking minded really ought to win this tournament. As for the next match it depends if del Potro is 100%. If he is then I would take him over Ferrer. del Potro himself is not bad on a surface (almost beat Federer on it last year) and has way more weapons.

jazzyg
07-01-2013, 09:03 AM
I agree Ferrer has zero shot to win Wimbledon. He would lose to Djokovic 100 times out of 100 in the semis, and he would beat Murray maybe 1 out of 20 times. But he's very hard to beat on grass for any of the non-contenders. He lost to an in-form Tsonga two years ago and Murray last year.

I was shocked when Ferrer clobbered Delpo here last year (didn't see a point of that match) and agree Delpo at his best is more dangerous, but Ferrer's consistency and ability to run down Delpo's shots on grass makes it hard for Delpo to play his best. A rematch would show whether last year's result was a fluke or Ferrer simply being more comfortable on grass --I think the latter, but Delpo's run at the Olympics says otherwise.

Klaywien
07-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Sense a Janowicz bandwagon in the next round.

Drop-shot
07-03-2013, 04:55 AM
All 8 made their picks and they fell solely on:

Ferrer 3: if healthy he owns Del Potro, so he should win. Two things make me doubt however: first he hasn't been that impressive losing sets here and there (however, given the general wackiness going around, maybe it doesn't matter); secondly, slight rumor that he's injured. What is it with Del Potro matches lately?

Janowicz 5: Melzer was tough and I think Kubot will prove easier. Both are the logical choices this round and both should win.

Drop-shot
07-03-2013, 05:46 AM
Link updated. (make sure to click on the day 7 tab in the bottom)

ktothem1
07-03-2013, 08:35 AM
So what happens if Kubot beats Janowicz since Ferrer went out in straight sets? Wow.

dryrunguy
07-03-2013, 08:50 AM
So what happens if Kubot beats Janowicz since Ferrer went out in straight sets? Wow.

All eight of those remaining would get medals because they all lost at the same time.

Go Janowicz! (Only because I award the medals, and eight is A LOT, and I'm feeling lazy!)

Drop-shot
07-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Link updated.

Drop-shot
07-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Of the remaining 5, all of them have saved Nole and Murray, so barring any further upsets, their semifinal pick will end up deciding who wins this on Sunday.

Drop-shot
07-05-2013, 05:02 AM
And alas, we've reached the crossroads of destiny!

3 of you have chosen Djokovic. He's the "safer" bet IMO, but if Murray wins as well, then you've lost what I think is the favorite to win the title.

2 have chosen Murray. After the Verdasco match I don't feel as confident. Besides, Janowicz might prove more dangerous than expected. At least if he wins you have Nole for the final.

Drop-shot
07-07-2013, 06:51 AM
For our last day we have these two scenarios:

Bluereggie, Icor and Jtcontinental will win if Murray wins.

Herodotus and Phatsdawg will win if Djokovic wins.

TeamBJK
07-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Congrats to the WSP winners and finalists!