PDA

View Full Version : Suicide Pool Rankings

ptmcmahon
01-22-2007, 04:49 AM
I was looking through the archives, but couldn't find the post for this. Can someone post the info for the suicide pool ranking system - the yearly one for all 4 pools?

Also, are the rankings going to be updated after the Aus. Open?

Moose
01-22-2007, 05:48 AM
we had a "glitch" with the ranking, PT. We're working on it, but its possible that they may be lost.

We will make a fresh start of them following the AO, however.

ptmcmahon
01-22-2007, 06:19 AM
Ok cool...will only help me anyways :) Thought I might've cracked the mens top 50, with a day 7 showing at Wimby last year. Thanks for the info.

dryrunguy
01-22-2007, 06:27 AM
Everyone, I have to take full responsibility for this. The full rankings were stored on my desktop system that died (completely out of the blue, no warning at all) just before the holiday. I usually back up such important files, but for some reason, I did not have a back up of the suicide pool rankings.

It would take several hours to regenerate rankings that included Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. Only the top 50 in each pool were posted on TAT.

If it's okay with everyone else, I'd prefer to start over with the Australian Open. This time, not only will I maintain back-up files, but I'll also make sure at least two other TAT staff have electronic copies as a precaution.

Again, my apologies to everyone. I know many people have to be very, very disappointed. I feel terrible about it.

Dry

ptmcmahon
01-22-2007, 07:07 AM
I'm ok with starting over, but that'd benefit me, so that's not really for me to say. ;)

Does anyone have the points system for it? Ex. How many points per day?

dryrunguy
01-22-2007, 08:07 AM
I'm ok with starting over, but that'd benefit me, so that's not really for me to say. ;)

I don't have it handy at the moment. Will have to look it up. But I think it would be the same as was used in scoring everything last year except the U.S. Open (which had three days of first-round men's matches).

Dry

morct
01-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Everyone, I have to take full responsibility for this. The full rankings were stored on my desktop system that died (completely out of the blue, no warning at all) just before the holiday. I usually back up such important files, but for some reason, I did not have a back up of the suicide pool rankings.

It would take several hours to regenerate rankings that included Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. Only the top 50 in each pool were posted on TAT.

If it's okay with everyone else, I'd prefer to start over with the Australian Open. This time, not only will I maintain back-up files, but I'll also make sure at least two other TAT staff have electronic copies as a precaution.

Again, my apologies to everyone. I know many people have to be very, very disappointed. I feel terrible about it.

Dry

Relax Dry, I think everyone appreciates the amount of work you guys put in to these contests (and if they don't, screw 'em!) ;)

ptmcmahon
01-22-2007, 09:03 AM

I don't have it handy at the moment. Will have to look it up. But I think it would be the same as was used in scoring everything last year except the U.S. Open (which had three days of first-round men's matches).

Dry

Cool...yeah whenever is fine! Thanks.

beaujarkko
01-22-2007, 10:28 AM
As a perennial Day 1 loser, I am very okay with the unfortunateness. No worries Dry :-D

Besides, I lost first day women's draw this time, so the discrepancy between my rankings will really just add some comedy to it!

Martini4me
01-23-2007, 05:19 AM
I don't believe I even made it into the top 50 before, so a restart is great for me. I never knew what the scoring system was, I never saw it explained.

Are the picks for the previous pools still available on-line, or have they been purged. If they're still there, maybe members could volunteer to each generate the scores from one of the previous pools. If a number of people do it independently, we'd get double or triple checks, so that there would be assurances that no one is padding their own score there were no mistakes made. Would any other members be willing to (randomly) select a pool and generate scores from it, so we can re-generate the rankings without burdening our hard-working and dedicated administrators??

thumm
01-23-2007, 05:37 AM
I don't believe I even made it into the top 50 before, so a restart is great for me. I never knew what the scoring system was, I never saw it explained.

Are the picks for the previous pools still available on-line, or have they been purged. If they're still there, maybe members could volunteer to each generate the scores from one of the previous pools. If a number of people do it independently, we'd get double or triple checks, so that there would be assurances that no one is padding their own score there were no mistakes made. Would any other members be willing to (randomly) select a pool and generate scores from it, so we can re-generate the rankings without burdening our hard-working and dedicated administrators??

I can do some of this work, if it is needed.

ptmcmahon
01-23-2007, 05:51 AM
I have my results for last year saved :)

Moose
01-23-2007, 05:54 AM
trust me, any work contributed by members is greatly appreciated. While we have to have a staff in place to make sure TAT stays friendly and enjoyable, we value any efforts contributed by our members.

If you want to give Dry a hand putting this together, drop him a PM...I'm sure he would love to have the help.

nelslus
01-23-2007, 11:09 AM
CONSPIRACY THEORY! CONSPIRACY THEORY!

Gosh Durn it straight to Hades, nelslus finally was one of the winners for a freakin' contest (OOPS, in case I forgot to ever bring this up, NELSLUS BEAT THE DRAW WITH THE 2006 WIMBLEDON MEN'S DRAW!!!!!)- and then nelslus gets no more credit for this monumental achievement?!?!

Nelslus don't think so.

Clearly, this "loss" of this crucial nelslus TAT data is all about: Nelslus refusing to dress up as Golovin and sleep with Dry.

Or, is it because I am the only gay man in TAT-land? [smiley=hyst.gif]

Yes, TAT, I think it is all time that we face up to the truth. (And here I had tried to be a nice guy losing 1st Round in the Aussie Pools to keep things competitive. Plus, it is always nelslus' job to keep mmmm8 happy and amused.)

But, seriously now- my vote would be just to go by calendar year. I mean, if other folks can put this all together without too much stress- great. But, it sure isn't worth stressing over. Heck, computer crashes happen- certainly no need to apologize for that. Y'all work hard enough already- give yourselves a break. I mean, what are we really all vying for here- the Jon-Wertheim-centerfold T-shirt?

P.S.- Where did Dry get that great photo of Teri Garr with his avatar?

morct
01-23-2007, 11:28 AM
The SP rankings by year is a great idea - could be fun at the end of the year if a couple of people are close to the top - adds a bit more spice to the mix..

beaujarkko
01-23-2007, 11:36 AM
nelslus, definitely not the only gay man in TaTland... and some of us are cemented FIRMLY at the bottom of the women's SP rankings... 3 Day 1 losses in three attempts... if there is a conspiracy it's reaching WAY beyond these fora... stupid Jie Zheng, Anna-Lena Groenefeld, and Marta Domachowska (okay, I'll relent on the third one... except she DID lose to a wild card...)

nelslus
01-23-2007, 11:48 AM
nelslus, definitely not the only gay man in TaTland... and some of us are cemented FIRMLY at the bottom of the women's SP rankings... 3 Day 1 losses in three attempts... if there is a conspiracy it's reaching WAY beyond these fora... stupid Jie Zheng, Anna-Lena Groenefeld, and Marta Domachowska (okay, I'll relent on the third one... except she DID lose to a wild card...)

Are you trying to suggest that if I instead dressed up like Domachowska and slept with Dry that I'd be the Leader of the Pools?!!?

beaujarkko
01-23-2007, 12:02 PM

Are you trying to suggest that if I instead dressed up like Domachowska and slept with Dry that I'd be the Leader of the Pools?!!?

uh.... clearly. Didn't I just say that?

Moose
01-23-2007, 12:10 PM

I can trump that.

Tati G (twice), Kristof Vliegen, and the singular honor of dumping out in one day in both pools by a pair of siblings....yes, I was foolish enough to play a Marat/Dinara Daily Double.

Moose
01-23-2007, 12:13 PM

I don't know about Domachowska....but if you put on a blonde wig and played the "loving Serbian mother" card, Dry would suck up like a Hoover.

Martini4me
01-23-2007, 12:28 PM
What's this? Someone is willing to sell first place in the pool rankings for a couple of Paczeks?

dryrunguy
01-23-2007, 12:28 PM

I don't know about Domachowska....but if you put on a blonde wig and played the "loving Serbian mother" card, Dry would suck up like a Hoover.

When and how did I develop this reputation as Chief TAT Slut?

Dry

mmmm8
01-23-2007, 04:10 PM
CONSPIRACY THEORY! CONSPIRACY THEORY!

Gosh Durn it straight to Hades, nelslus finally was one of the winners for a freakin' contest (OOPS, in case I forgot to ever bring this up, NELSLUS BEAT THE DRAW WITH THE 2006 WIMBLEDON MEN'S DRAW!!!!!)- and then nelslus gets no more credit for this monumental achievement?!?!

Nelslus don't think so.

Clearly, this "loss" of this crucial nelslus TAT data is all about: Nelslus refusing to dress up as Golovin and sleep with Dry.

Or, is it because I am the only gay man in TAT-land? [smiley=hyst.gif]

Yes, TAT, I think it is all time that we face up to the truth. (And here I had tried to be a nice guy losing 1st Round in the Aussie Pools to keep things competitive. Plus, it is always nelslus' job to keep mmmm8 happy and amused.)

But, seriously now- my vote would be just to go by calendar year. I mean, if other folks can put this all together without too much stress- great. But, it sure isn't worth stressing over. Heck, computer crashes happen- certainly no need to apologize for that. Y'all work hard enough already- give yourselves a break. I mean, what are we really all vying for here- the Jon-Wertheim-centerfold T-shirt?

P.S.- Where did Dry get that great photo of Teri Garr with his avatar?

Job? It's your life ambition!

mmmm8
01-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Well, at least I know now why I got into top 3 on the men's rankings. And I thought it was due to my wonderful tennis-prediction merits.

Herodotus
01-27-2007, 03:42 PM
While I sat out the Aussie this time around because I've been on vacation, I humbly request that the rankings include some of last year's SP results like the real rankings do. I know it takes work for the administrators, but those of us at the top of rankings would appreciate it.

Moose
01-27-2007, 03:48 PM
While I sat out the Aussie this time around because I've been on vacation, I humbly request that the rankings include some of last year's SP results like the real rankings do. I know it takes work for the administrators, but those of us at the top of rankings would appreciate it.

We missed you Herodotus! You better get back here to defend your French title.

As you might have seen in the posts, because of computer issues, we lost our original data with the rankings. We're working on recovering and recreating the information. And we want the rankings to be something that continue, rolling over into each Slam, and adjusted accordingly.

Even without playing the AO '07, however, I still suspect that you are still #1 in the ladies rankings.