PDA

View Full Version : AMitS - THE Discussion thread!

oploskoffie
12-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Just a topic for some good oldfashioned talk about tennis, your team, certain results, the tournaments and the meaning of life ;D ;) Game on! Well, almost anyway... :P

catz33
12-15-2006, 05:42 PM
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/007200612150311.htm

Oh, what we are missing!

jjnow
12-15-2006, 05:46 PM
I always knew Leander Paes was trouble.

Looking forward to this contest. I don't mean to be bold, but I'm gonna win.

jj

oploskoffie
12-15-2006, 05:53 PM
I always knew Leander Paes was trouble.

Looking forward to this contest. I don't mean to be bold, but I'm gonna win.

jj

Gawd.... That reminds me of two snooker players who actually DID put on fighting gloves a couple of years ago, Quinten Hann and Mark King. Hann won, though the boxing was pretty ugly. Why can't we all just be friends? ;D

Good luck with that, jj ;) I'm really looking forward to how people assemble teams. It's a somewhat different approach this time round, and this degree of freedom of choice actually adds to the difficulty of choosing wisely if you ask me ;D

catz33
12-15-2006, 06:03 PM
I have to be honest, I haven't read anything about the contest yet :-X

oploskoffie
12-15-2006, 06:05 PM
I have to be honest, I haven't read anything about the contest yet :-X

There's still time ;) Heck.. I haven't gotten half the information needed to actually assemble a team online yet ;D Tomorrow, probably :)

jjnow
12-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Mr. Koffie, if you win this thing too, I'll be doing some investigating. ;)

Remember "Anybody but Bush!"? I'm gonna have my own "Anybody but Mr. Koffie or Moose!" club. ;D

I won a prediction contest back when. What happened to my glory?

jj

mmmm8
12-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Mr. Koffie, if you win this thing too, I'll be doing some investigating. ;)

Remember "Anybody but Bush!"? I'm gonna have my own "Anybody but Mr. Koffie or Moose!" club. ;D

I won a prediction contest back when. What happened to my glory?

jj

Perhaps, if he wins, mr. koffie will be added to Ti-Amie's Players with Fixed Draws team...

I always knew the Paes-Bhupati divorce would blow up at some point.

Moose
12-16-2006, 09:22 PM
I can't believe I haven't even had time to consider who I am putting on my team yet (other than my fav male player), and someone allready picked him for theirs!

Well, at least two people will be rooting for Janko come January.

oploskoffie
12-17-2006, 05:51 AM
I can't believe I haven't even had time to consider who I am putting on my team yet (other than my fav male player), and someone allready picked him for theirs!

Well, at least two people will be rooting for Janko come January.

No worries, Moose ;) I didn't get the competition online until a couple of days ago anyway :-X

Probably three people, though I'm still waiting and looking around.

aedra1119
12-19-2006, 04:18 PM
I know this will sound like a really dumb question, but...we are supposed to pick the two (or four) people from each category who we think will make the MOST points from their category, right??

Just checking before I try to make my team!!

jjnow
12-19-2006, 04:24 PM
I know this will sound like a really dumb question, but...we are supposed to pick the two (or four) people from each category who we think will make the MOST points from their category, right??

You got it, aedra. And you just have to make sure you end up with 6 men and 6 women in total. You can place them in any fashion you like.

jj

aedra1119
12-19-2006, 04:30 PM

You got it, aedra. And you just have to make sure you end up with 6 men and 6 women in total. You can place them in any fashion you like.

jj

Thanks, jj!!! Just wanted to make sure. This seems like a lot of fun! :D (I love this smiley!!)

jjnow
12-19-2006, 04:45 PM

jj

Thanks, jj!!! Just wanted to make sure. This seems like a lot of fun! :D (I love this smiley!!)
Yeah, we had an interesting discussion about that smiley once.

jj

Charlie02123
12-19-2006, 06:09 PM

That gives me a great idea! We should have a contest to pick who gets the least points!

mmmm8
12-19-2006, 06:15 PM

That gives me a great idea! We should have a contest to pick who gets the least points!

Sounds like fun!

And we ARE having Injury and Withdrawal Awards (preliminarily named "The Broken Leg") in 2007.

hurricanejeanne
12-19-2006, 06:20 PM

Sounds like fun!

And we ARE having Injury and Withdrawal Awards (preliminarily named "The Broken Leg") in 2007.

LMAO. And considering my luck I'm going to win either the least points or the broken leg.

aedra1119
12-19-2006, 07:32 PM

Sounds like fun!

Oh goodness... :P

Jay
12-19-2006, 08:13 PM

Sounds like fun!

LMAO. And considering my luck I'm going to win either the least points or the broken leg.

I'm, DEFINITLY going to get the Broken leg one.
=/

mmmm8
12-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah, guys, I guess you like your injuries but the Broken Leg is for (professional) players. Not a contest, awards.

For history, see the "Sick Bay" thread

oploskoffie
12-21-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm, DEFINITLY going to get the Broken leg one.
=/

Even if you do, Jessie... You've got tape ;)

jjnow
12-21-2006, 02:17 PM
So, Venus has already pulled out of the Hopman. I wonder if I should change my team?

jj

mrjiggyfly2
12-26-2006, 08:04 PM
No Janko on Team Moose shows me how focused he is. I bet he was torn in his decision to leave him off the team. But he did say his team was subject to change!

mmmm8
12-26-2006, 08:15 PM
No Janko on Team Moose shows me how focused he is. I bet he was torn in his decision to leave him off the team. But he did say his team was subject to change!

Yup. I could also see Golovin the SP Fiasco was cast off.

mrjiggyfly2
12-26-2006, 08:26 PM

Yup. I could also see Golovin the SP Fiasco was cast off.

I then had to look at your team 4m. Three women from group A. Nice! I like the Stosur pick, too. I'm going to be picking my team in the next couple of days. Today's my Friday!! ;D
I have Stosur on my radar.

mmmm8
12-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Happy Friday, Mr. Jiggy.

Yeah, I think the top women are less of a guessing game than the top men. Stosur has gotten the confidence from doubles, and I think I read somewhere she's training hard, and she's done well in warm-ups in the past.

Jay
12-26-2006, 08:55 PM
So, Venus has already pulled out of the Hopman. I wonder if I should change my team?

jj

same here, but i'll wait...i don't want to make any changes just yet..

i'm kinda scared i might lose....badly.

oploskoffie
12-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Time to make changes or post teams is starting to run out, tennisfriends!!!!

mrjiggyfly2
12-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Mr. O,

I'm not changing, but I just wanted to say that it was a tough decision between Llodra and del Potro for me. Llodra shunned doubles last year to work on his singles game, and he seemed to be getting some results by the end of the year. But del Potro is supposed to be a can't miss prospect. I went with youth.

So in case Llodra does well, I want the people to know that I almost picked him.

mmmm8
12-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Mr. O,

I'm not changing, but I just wanted to say that it was a tough decision between Llodra and del Potro for me. Llodra shunned doubles last year to work on his singles game, and he seemed to be getting some results by the end of the year. But del Potro is supposed to be a can't miss prospect. I went with youth.

So in case Llodra does well, I want the people to know that I almost picked him.

Am I hallucinating or was Llodra injured for most of last year?

I'm now wondering if I should have picked Molik

jjnow
12-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Dimitry. 8-)

One cool cat.

Or as jkfriedman says, "That crazy Russian from California."

jj

nelslus
12-29-2006, 09:12 PM
I posted this elsewhere.....hope SOMEONE can answer this here....

I do have want some clarification here, which will have a big effect on if I make changes to my groupings before tomorrow is over..... Can you only replace ONE player from your groupings due to injury? Or, can you replace ANY and ALL players on your list who get injured? For Ex., if you've picked Nadal, Petrova, Jankovic and Golovin, who all break their legs due to a booze-fest car accident- can you replace them all, or you can only replace one for that month?

jjnow
12-29-2006, 09:14 PM
nelslus, I'd help you, but I'm not sure myself. Mr. Koffie designed the game so, unless someone else is privy to the minute details, he might be the one you're looking for on this one.

jj

nelslus
12-29-2006, 09:18 PM
nelslus, I'd help you, but I'm not sure myself. Mr. Koffie designed the game so, unless someone else is privy to the minute details, he might be the one you're looking for on this one.

jj

Thanks much- I already PM'd Mr. Koffie- just figured I'd post here, too, in case anyone knows.

oploskoffie
12-30-2006, 02:38 AM
From the "Select your team here" thread:

Should one or more of your players get injured or fall ill, you will be allowed to replace him/her with another player! Any and all injury trades must always be made in the week BEFORE the next tournament(s). Any trades made after the start of the next tournament(s) will NOT be accepted. Any injury trade you make is permanent, so always try to make sure your injured/ill player isn't just taking a week off.

mrjiggyfly2
12-30-2006, 06:21 AM
Mr. O,

1. I don't think Llodra was injured. Maybe he was.
2. You should have picked Molik. ;)

mmmm8
12-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Dimitry. 8-)

One cool cat.

Or as jkfriedman says, "That crazy Russian from California."

jj

Not so cool now after the loss to Flip. >:(

Also, there's only one i in his name. Dmitry. I only say it because the ATP phonetic guide thinks there are two also

mmmm8
12-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Mr. O,

1. I don't think Llodra was injured. Maybe he was.
2. You should have picked Molik. ;)

I just checked. Llodra got injured playing soccer during Roland Garros and missed most of the summer

Jack
01-01-2007, 07:06 PM
OK - I'm relying on everyone hear to pull me out of my depression... It was a year ago that I traveled to Australia & NZ. Vacation of a lifetime, and was able to stop by Melbourne Park to take in some matches. And when I wasn't there, I was able to catch matches on Channel 7 - and during normal hours! Ahhh, memories of some fun matches, like Hantuchova-Williams, Federer-Davydenko, Roddick-Baghdatis, Hingis-Stosur...

So this year, it looks like I'll have to be satisfied watching live scoreboards at 1:00am. [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif]

mmmm8
01-01-2007, 09:41 PM
OK - I'm relying on everyone hear to pull me out of my depression... It was a year ago that I traveled to Australia & NZ. Vacation of a lifetime, and was able to stop by Melbourne Park to take in some matches. And when I wasn't there, I was able to catch matches on Channel 7 - and during normal hours! Ahhh, memories of some fun matches, like Hantuchova-Williams, Federer-Davydenko, Roddick-Baghdatis, Hingis-Stosur...

So this year, it looks like I'll have to be satisfied watching live scoreboards at 1:00am. [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif]

Umm.. would it make you feel better knowing that the vast majority of us have never been to Australia and have not had that particular vacation of a lifetime???

Jay
01-01-2007, 09:48 PM

Umm.. would it make you feel better knowing that the vast majority of us have never been to Australia and have not had that particular vacation of a lifetime???

Exactly.

I'd say you should be happy, Jack, that you've been to Australia. I've never been.
:'(

jjnow
01-01-2007, 09:54 PM
And according to our recent "getting-to-know-you" venture, a lot of us have dreams of seeing Oz one day. I was one of them.

jj

mrjiggyfly2
01-02-2007, 09:21 AM

I'm off to a hot start with Becker and Wawrinka!!!!!!!! ;D

Charlie02123
01-02-2007, 02:46 PM

I'm off to a hot start with Becker and Wawrinka!!!!!!!! ;D

My brilliant pick of the formerly excellent Thomas Johansson didn't work out too well, but maybe he'll make the quarters at the OZ (I can dream). And Vania King qualified but lost her first round match. I hope she gets points for qualifying (they give you ranking points!) but I'm not holding me breath.

Jack
01-02-2007, 04:17 PM

No!!! Once you go, you will want to return! I was better off not knowing what I was missing!!

Ah, just kidding. "Better to have lost at love...", and all that crap. Sorry, I hope I didn't come across as a whining jerk. But it's taken me a bit by surprise just how down I am about it the whole thing. It was a really awesome trip, and it's pretty unlikely I'll get to do it again, so I've found myself getting pretty nostalgic because I remember how excited I was at this time last year.

Moose
01-02-2007, 07:11 PM
wow...we're three days into the season, and I havn't lost a single player to injury yet!

hurricanejeanne
01-02-2007, 07:18 PM
wow...we're three days into the season, and I havn't lost a single player to injury yet!

You just jinxed it dear. :P

shtexas
01-02-2007, 07:20 PM
I can't believe I have to root for Catalina Castano. I never really liked her because the only time I saw her, she seemed like a real pill when she was playing Venus in Miami. I chose her because she was entered all three weeks.

Charlie02123
01-02-2007, 08:39 PM
I can't believe I have to root for Catalina Castano. I never really liked her because the only time I saw her, she seemed like a real pill when she was playing Venus in Miami. I chose her because she was entered all three weeks.

Good thinking. I was thinking about picking her in my www.tennis-pool.com game but sadly didn't have enough points to. She's doing well this week, so I think it's a good pick. Plus she's a clayer so she should have the fitness to handle the hot weather.

oploskoffie
01-07-2007, 04:40 AM
Tell y'all what... I've been working on the scoring a bit this morning, and shtexas is going to MURDER the rest of us ;D Not just a little bit even, but really exterminate the rest of us :P

Thx for that, shtexas... Just what I needed to brighten up my day ;)

mmmm8
01-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Tell y'all what... I've been working on the scoring a bit this morning, and shtexas is going to MURDER the rest of us ;D Not just a little bit even, but really exterminate the rest of us :P

Not after Safin d. Federer (I wish) in the AO final. Two players Shtexas doesn't have that all the rest of us do.

Are you going to post the current scores, or hold the suspense till the end?

oploskoffie
01-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Just got back in, and I'll continue to update things after I've eaten :) You'll bee seeing the first contestant rankings pretty soon ;)

mmmm8
01-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Just got back in, and I'll continue to update things after I've eaten :) You'll bee seeing the first contestant rankings pretty soon ;)

What? You put nutrition above TAT?

shtexas
01-07-2007, 10:10 AM

Not after Safin d. Federer (I wish) in the AO final. Two players Shtexas doesn't have that all the rest of us do.

Are you going to post the current scores, or hold the suspense till the end?

I took a calculated risk that three events worth of Nadal was worth more than one event of Federer (even if that one event is the AO). Same thing with the women. I took the risk that two events of Kim will be worth more than Maria, even if Maria wins the AO.

As for Safin, I root for him, but I don't trust him.

Moose
01-07-2007, 10:15 AM

I always thought rooting for Marat required that you beleived no matter what, he was going to get it together THIS TIME and win everything, shtexas. I know that's been my thinking for the last 6 years.

mrjiggyfly2
01-07-2007, 10:26 AM
shtexas is playing chess. i'm playing checkers. :-?

oploskoffie
01-07-2007, 10:32 AM
shtexas is playing chess. i'm playing checkers. :-?

shtexas is Deep Thought, the rest of us are human ;)

mmmm8
01-07-2007, 02:23 PM

Sort of scary that Xavier Malisse is the one to trust instead.

Moose is right on Marat though.

shtexas
01-07-2007, 03:19 PM

Sort of scary that Xavier Malisse is the one to trust instead.

Moose is right on Marat though.

It's not that Malisse is to be trusted. It's that he was playing all three weeks (although he drew Blake first this week). Safin may have a good AO and it will work out for everyone who chose him. But, I can't trust him when he is playing only the one event.

mrjiggyfly2
01-09-2007, 07:10 PM

Wawrinka's two first round losses are killing me!!!! My team sucks!!

Jay
01-10-2007, 02:24 AM
I have no idea how i'm doing now..Hopefully Koffie updates the scores for this week.
;D

oploskoffie
01-10-2007, 10:37 AM
I have no idea how i'm doing now..Hopefully Koffie updates the scores for this week.
;D

Live in fear, Jessie.

;)

Scores will of course be updated at the end of this week!

oploskoffie
01-10-2007, 10:37 AM

Stan the man is just saving his best for the next two weeks or so. ;)

mrjiggyfly2
01-10-2007, 11:08 AM

Stan the man is just saving his best for the next two weeks or so. ;)

My team still sucks!!!! ;)

oploskoffie
01-10-2007, 11:35 AM

I'm just looking to catch up to you for starters ;) But as another unfortunate with Stan on his team, I wouldn't worry if I were you ;D

mrjiggyfly2
01-10-2007, 11:43 AM

I'm just looking to catch up to you for starters ;) But as another unfortunate with Stan on his team, I wouldn't worry if I were you ;D

I didn't know you had Stan too!!!

oploskoffie
01-10-2007, 11:48 AM

Just you and I, man! Just you and I ;D

oploskoffie
01-15-2007, 04:24 AM
So many people with Safin on their team, and he ain't doing too hot at the moment :-/

Just a couple of people with Becker on their team, and he's playing Safin........

Martini4me
01-15-2007, 06:27 AM
Unfortunately, Safin pulls it out. Would have given me a good edge to get up to second spot.

mrjiggyfly2
01-15-2007, 06:30 AM

Just you and I, man! Just you and I ;D

In addition to Stan, I also have Safin and Becker. A Becker upset would have been huge. C'est la vie.
PS--Stan had better beat Kevin Kim.
A

Jay
01-15-2007, 06:59 AM
I should re-check who i have on my Amits team and see where i'm at in this contest...
*checks

oploskoffie
01-15-2007, 07:06 AM
I should re-check who i have on my Amits team and see where i'm at in this contest...
*checks

Remember you've had to replace four players already ;) You now have T. Johansson, Sharapova, Stosur and Blake on your team ;)

Jay
01-15-2007, 07:15 AM
*checks

Remember you've had to replace four players already ;) You now have T. Johansson, Sharapova, Stosur and Blake on your team ;)

aah, yeah. I just copied and pasted my team. I put in the Blake, Sharapova, and Stosur ones.

but..
Who did i replaced for T. Johanson?
Tipsaveric?

oploskoffie
01-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Tipsaveric?

Yep. That's the guilty party ;D

Jay
01-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Tipsaveric?

Yep. That's the guilty party ;D
aah otays.
Thanx for reminding me..i wasn't sure if it was Tipsaveric or not..

oploskoffie
01-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Nearing the end of the competition, and I can honestly say the final scores might be closer than people expected :)

jjnow
01-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Nearing the end of the competition, and I can honestly say the final scores might be closer than people expected :)
Just go ahead before the people get their hopes up, Mr. O. Tell 'em JJ won. ;D ;)

Congrats, shtexas.

jj

mmmm8
01-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Well, this lot of players I had between Roger/Maria/Kim and Serena surely did me a lot of good in the AO:

Cat B:
Lleyton Hewitt Andy Murray
Novak Djokovic

Cat C:
Marat Safin
Samantha Stosur

Cat D:
Thomas Johansson
Iveta Benesova

Category E:
Igor Andreev

oploskoffie
01-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Well, this lot of players I had between Roger/Maria/Kim and Serena surely did me a lot of good in the AO:

Your score for the week is indeed rather *sweet* ;)

mmmm8
01-27-2007, 02:24 PM

Screw you, I have an ATP blog book

oploskoffie
01-27-2007, 02:25 PM

:-/

I wasn't being sarcastic...

mmmm8
01-27-2007, 02:29 PM

:-/

I wasn't being sarcastic...

Oh...

Seriously?? Sorry!!! I just assumed, plus the asterisks :-X

How did that come about???

oploskoffie
01-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Oh...

Seriously?? Sorry!!! I just assumed, plus the asterisks :-X

How did that come about???

Of the players on your team, only Andreev lost in the first round. That helps a lot ;)

shtexas
01-27-2007, 02:42 PM

uh-oh! [smiley=freekingout.gif]

oploskoffie
01-27-2007, 02:44 PM

Everything depends on who wins tonight :) If Gonzo wins, it gets really interesting ;) I could be wrong, of course ;D

mmmm8
01-27-2007, 02:48 PM

Everything depends on who wins tonight :) If Gonzo wins, it gets really interesting ;) I could be wrong, of course ;D

Are you saying RandomSkan beat us all?

oploskoffie
01-27-2007, 02:50 PM

Are you saying RandomSkan beat us all?

Someone with Vera Dushevina on their team doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of beating the rest ;D Still, he does indeed have Gonzo on his team!

PeterSkan
01-27-2007, 09:03 PM

RandomSkan's gonna have a heart attack. The RNG gave him Gonzalez and Federer as well as Sharapova.

RSkan is not to be trifled with!

Jay
01-27-2007, 10:38 PM
hmm now i REALLY want to know the end results