PDA

View Full Version : What a mess, but nicely done Kirkus

tennis4you
10-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Wow, that was the biggest mess I have ever seen a host go through. As of 1:00 PM I was back and operational and I see you were not far behind me. Even up until 1:00 today Host Ultra was off and on. I lost 4 days worth of posts, but that is it. The main website did not take any hit for me as I keep all those files locally.

Glad you are up and running. Kinda weird, this board seems a little faster now than it was before you moved from this server...

Anyways, kudos for getting it up and running. Sorry for the bad referral.

Kirkus
10-26-2005, 08:14 PM
Wow, that was the biggest mess I have ever seen a host go through. As of 1:00 PM I was back and operational and I see you were not far behind me. Even up until 1:00 today Host Ultra was off and on. I lost 4 days worth of posts, but that is it. The main website did not take any hit for me as I keep all those files locally.

Glad you are up and running. Kinda weird, this board seems a little faster now than it was before you moved from this server...

Anyways, kudos for getting it up and running. Sorry for the bad referral.

I'll tell you what, they got a nasty little email from me when I cancelled my account. I've never seen a host act so carelessly. Don't worry about the referral, my friend. You had no way of knowing that would happen, and you found yourself in the same leaky boat.

I, too, have my website files here locally, but mine are secondary to TAT and I'm really in no mood to freak out over them. I wanted the forum back up... the heart of TAT.

The board is faster, even on this server. The YaBB2 upgrade is faster than YaBB1 (our previous version).

The damage is done, and now I'll just wait and see how many of our members hang with us. We've got a pretty loyal base and I'm really not concerned.

tennis4you
10-27-2005, 04:50 AM
Yeah, you core group is very loyal, I would be suprised if you lost anyone. My core is back and going at it again like nothing ever happened.

I cannot believe that for 10 months the hosting is fine then all of the sudden thier walls came crumbling in. Maybe TAT was more than they could handle. :)

Does YABB have a db that needs backed up? The phpBB files are on my pc, except the database. I back it up every few days just for security. It is 70 megs now though in just 10 months, 29,000 posts. My new host will make nightly back ups, not like Host Ultra making a back up once a week. So if this ever happens with the new host the damage should be minimal. We lost 4 days of posts, which is about 400 posts.

Kirkus
10-27-2005, 08:21 AM
YaBB uses a "flat-file" system, which I think means it uses individual text files for each thread. When I back up, I'm backing up around 4,000 message files, about 300 member files, and 300 board files. I don't think it's as large (70megs) as yours.

I need about 2 hours to perform a complete backup of the board and site files... all of which I keep locally.

Doll_Face
10-27-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm sorry to hear that T4 had problems too, but it seems asthough you two have it all worked out.

Kirkus and T4 Rocks [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

tennis4you
10-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Thx Doll, u are a doll. :)

Kirkus - - - 2 hours? Wow, is that a dial up connection? The database of phpBB is a single text file with all of the info for posts and users. The forum files are like templates and such are on my pc and I simply upload as I make changes. You can compress it and use it that way to keep it smaller, but I have no problems without compressing it, so it it aint broke, I do not fix it. It only takes me 5-10 minutes or so to back up my forum. I assume your future host will make nightly back ups, I think they should. :)

Kirkus
10-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Thx Doll, u are a doll. :)

Kirkus - - - 2 hours? Wow, is that a dial up connection? The database of phpBB is a single text file with all of the info for posts and users. The forum files are like templates and such are on my pc and I simply upload as I make changes. You can compress it and use it that way to keep it smaller, but I have no problems without compressing it, so it it aint broke, I do not fix it. It only takes me 5-10 minutes or so to back up my forum. I assume your future host will make nightly back ups, I think they should. :)

I like to back up the whole thing... web pages, images and the forum. I've always done my own back-ups... I don't trust the host to keep my files current (now I know why).

I'm on a DSL connection at about 700k. I was wrong about the time... it's about 2 hours to restore. My upload is only 125k. The download is 700k and I can grab everything in about 30 minutes. (We also have 3 internet users at home sharing the connection).