PDA

View Full Version : The AO Loser's Lounge is OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Moose
01-11-2013, 08:53 PM
http://www.industryleadersmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/18040-a-bottle-of-fosters-beer-stands-near-a-freshly-poured-glass-.jpg

What else needs be said....welcome to the Loser's Lounge. Our consolation prize to the couple hundred players who won't be around after Week 1.Have fun, and remember our motto:

Every single player you think is a safe pick has already burned someone else

GlennHarman
01-12-2013, 02:09 AM
I feel like I should just beat the rush and go ahead and reserve a table. GH

Madame
01-12-2013, 02:23 AM

joanjettson
01-13-2013, 01:59 PM
I feel like I should just beat the rush and go ahead and reserve a table. GH

I'm with you. Why did I pick Ivo and why can I not come up with any other alternative? Can't wait for a great tournament, I feel lots of veterans are going to get cast aside to make way for the young (see: Ivo Karlovic) so this is going to be the year of scouting out a new field of reliable fair-to-middlin picks.

Scotty
01-13-2013, 02:30 PM
We need something for the Jukebox From Hell.

Now, I don't hate this song (I actually rather like it). But it's by an Aussie, and the topic seems appropo for the beginning of an SP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXJ2fMDh-_M

Moose
01-13-2013, 03:08 PM
We need something for the Jukebox From Hell.

Here's a true "Jukebox From Hell" classic by an Australian artist....

qYkbTyHXwbs

mwoods
01-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Less than an hour! I hate this feeling... :(

;)

Madame
01-13-2013, 03:17 PM
no you don't :)

I hate the australian, it starts when I go to bed and ends when I wake up :(

mwoods
01-13-2013, 03:22 PM

I only hate the feeling that my chances are riding on Juan Monaco. :cheesy:

suliso
01-13-2013, 03:25 PM

At what time do you wake up then, I have to ask ;)

I'll be already at work during the night matches...

Kirkus
01-13-2013, 03:54 PM
It's one of my favorites because it starts at 4:00pm here and goes all afternoon and night!

::

Do I like my picks? Should I change my picks? Do I like my picks? Should I change my picks? Do I like my picks? Should I change my picks? Do I like my picks? Should I change my picks?

5 minutes and counting!!

Moose
01-13-2013, 07:07 PM
I hope we remembered to stock something Bulgarian.

Martini4me
01-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Surely you have some slivovitz.

Or Bulgarian wine:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2rmphxc.gif

According to wikipedia, Bulgaria was the world's second largest wine producer in the 1980's!?!?!?

Equipped
01-13-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm SOOOOOOOOO tired of the women taking me out early!!!

Pironkova!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(What the **** was I thinking?!?!?!!!!)

I'll take some of that Slivovitsa. :mad:

mwoods
01-14-2013, 12:31 AM
I only hate the feeling that my chances are riding on Juan Monaco. :cheesy:

At least he made it quick... :rolleyes:

mwoods
01-14-2013, 12:53 AM
At least he made it quick... :rolleyes:

And, Hantuchova ends my AOSP before the sun goes down on day one. Yikes.

luvs10s
01-14-2013, 04:37 AM
Half-cheeked on Day 1 - this is why you never trust a woman!

Madame
01-14-2013, 04:52 AM

same here. I'm lost with the girls anyway. Better with the guys. Just wish I can make it a few days through
Let's drink to that with a Big glas of fresh white wine :) (thanks Jessie)

Moose
01-14-2013, 05:45 AM

Sounds like we need to bring back the consolation "Mixed Doubles Suicide Pool" for you, mwoods :)

Andrew388
01-14-2013, 07:00 AM
One and done. Stay away from the Pablo's. Stick with the other Spaniards. See you fellow losers in France.

munchin
01-14-2013, 07:10 AM
Juan Monaco took me out and it wasn't even close. The Australian is still the most difficult slam for me to figure out. Jie Zheng was just a few points from double cheeking me, too.

ptmcmahon
01-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Glad I didn't watch then!

Team Shore
01-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Man, it's my first attempt and I'm slaughtered on the first day, with the men.

Ivo you let me down, hard.

Team Shore
01-14-2013, 08:41 AM
I was tempted, glad I stayed away.

JTContinental
01-14-2013, 10:10 AM
To celebrate my making it through Day 1, I'll celebrate by picking a song from the jukebox:

Ucugm3L-X-A

evanm191
01-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Sounds like we need to bring back the consolation "Mixed Doubles Suicide Pool" for you, mwoods :)

I'm allowed to enter, too. Right? Note to self: never pick Dimitrov again.

Charlie02123
01-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Half-cheeked on Day 1 - this is why you never trust a woman!
:hyst:

That sounds neat!

rktct2b
01-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Petrova wins only 2 games vs 42-yr old Date-Krumm. Unbelievable. ;(

nguyen
01-14-2013, 06:47 PM
WOAH. Serena JUST badly rolled her ankle on the court.....I think she may be out?

Unbelievable.

Edit: Looks like she got treatment and is choosing to play, but movement doesn't look good. Definitely doesn't bode well for the rest of the tournament even IF she gets through the first round. Draw would be turned upside down!

shtexas
01-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Florian Mayer pickers still circling the building.

JTContinental
01-14-2013, 06:58 PM
WOAH. Serena JUST badly rolled her ankle on the court.....I think she may be out?

Unbelievable.

Edit: Looks like she got treatment and is choosing to play, but movement doesn't look good. Definitely doesn't bode well for the rest of the tournament even IF she gets through the first round. Draw would be turned upside down!

Her movement looks fine to me.

skatingfan
01-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Florian Mayer pickers still circling the building.

7-all in the fourth set tie-breaker :shocked:

nguyen
01-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Her movement looks fine to me.

For me it's iffy. I'm still watching her match as I type, but she definitely is not exploding to her forehand side like she normally does. Luckily for her, she can still dominate the match with everything else besides her movement. I'm just thinking that for the next match, after the adrenaline wears off, she's going to be hurting. I most definitely hope to be proved wrong though. :-/

mwoods
01-14-2013, 07:45 PM

LOL. Day 1: Alona Bondarenko and Richard Gasquet.

motobass
01-14-2013, 08:25 PM

He let me down as well and I keep on trying this thing. It is so fun but I rarely make it out of the first week.

Hanging on by a thread with Shvedova.

ropeADope
01-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Ahhhh! McHale burned me...again. Oh well, I think I actually feel better now not having to sweat the women. A bud light for me, please :)

motobass
01-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Shvedova'd! She wins three in a row in the third set and then not another game. Wow. A bottle of vodka and two shot glasses for Irena2 and me please. G'day and a bien tot.

How about Ducky and Mitchy though!

mmmm8
01-14-2013, 10:49 PM
I broke an SP rule. Never pick for or against Akgul. I must pay. So must Johansson.

fatboy
01-15-2013, 02:59 AM

Mate, it's a hard game to learn :)

Even after 4 or 5 years of it, i got Hantuchova'ed on the first day too .what was i thinking? arrgh :confused:

fatboy
01-15-2013, 03:00 AM
I broke an SP rule. Never pick for or against Akgul. I must pay. So must Johansson.

sheesh, there are so many rules, who are we supposed to pick? Djokovic and Serena in the round? LOL

skatingfan
01-15-2013, 04:41 AM
I thought Urszula was making progress and would reliable - nice win for Jamie Hampton - at least Davydenko advanced.

shmrck14
01-15-2013, 06:47 AM
Ugh, out for both the men and the women at the same time. And of course for each one I narrowed down my choices and each time the only one of those that lost was my final choice. I'm gonna continue to play on my own so for Day 3 my picks are Goerges and Nishiknori ;)

munchin
01-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Sigh, Pavlyuchenkova loses to a player she straight-setted like a week and a half ago. Damn this game (i love this game)!

New England Nitemare
01-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Petrova only won 2 games against Date-Krumm???? Ugh...ugh....ugh....I just can't get out of the frist round with the women picks....oh well, I take a pina colada and head over to Paris

winston
01-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Sigh, Pavlyuchenkova loses to a player she straight-setted like a week and a half ago. Damn this game (i love this game)!

She's burned me twice, so this time I kept her on my Do Not Play list. Sorry munchin.
Of course, I'm half-cheeked thanks to Bellucci.

MediaGrrl
01-16-2013, 06:13 PM
I will be away next week and wondered, briefly, how will I make my picks on time.

Not to have worried. Thank you, Florian Mayer, for making things easy for me. Should have bet on your brother Oscar.

A pint of ale, please.

Moose
01-16-2013, 06:25 PM
I will be away next week and wondered, briefly, how will I make my picks on time.

Not to have worried. Thank you, Florian Mayer, for making things easy for me. Should have bet on your brother Oscar.

A pint of ale, please.

Your wit will be sorely missed, MediaGrrl. Safe travel, and please stop by and visit again soon

Moose
01-16-2013, 06:30 PM
What's really pleasant is if you look at the AO Live Scoreboard right now, you can see both of my picks for today side by side, each losing their match so far. Awesome!

Woody
01-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Oh, hi there :(

GlennHarman
01-17-2013, 01:08 PM
I've whiled away some lovely hours in this Loser's Lounge over the years. But I had no intention of getting there so soon.....My day 3 pick flubbed up in the men's pool, but anyway, I would not have been able to make a day 4 pick, as I was unable to do in the women's pool. We went to Sarajevo for 2 nights, and had no Internet access at all, which we had been told we would have (stilll not a big deal, since it meant nothing except that I couldn't make an SP pick). Now we are in the more-remote Mostar, and Internet is great. TV coverage of tennis remains outstanding in this area. For those who follow this sort of thing: Sarajevo is back to looking like the fascinatingly multi-ethnic city it was when I was there for the Olympics in 1984. War damage is not overpoweringly obvious, but there are many poignant moments for the tourist. Mostar, on the other hand, is still a mess. The main tourist areas of old town look pretty good, but along the main roads that were basically the front lines, it is amazing that it still looks as devastated as it does, now almost 18 years after the war.
That probably wasn't the usual losers' lounge banter......I'll take a Bosnian beer to drown my sorrows.

All my best to all who are still in the draws.......GlennHarman

dryrunguy
01-17-2013, 02:30 PM
See you all shortly. This is usually the point in a SP where everything unravels for me and I do my part to make sure other folks, not me, make the Updated Picks thread. It's usually Day 5 or 6 that is my undoing. Having zero confidence in my picks for today doesn't help. :mad:

luvs10s
01-18-2013, 02:38 AM
pffft...Verdasco you big loser!

Jusbjen
01-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Friggin' Verdasco....

Scotty
01-18-2013, 03:25 PM
jukebox from hell:

Aussie ONJ in a 'video' featuring the slo-mo hair flip sequences that must have inspired Tom Cruise in a Mission Impossible sequel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byhs-qVzkNA

dryrunguy
01-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Seeing as Maria Kirilenko has never come through for me in a suicide pool, wins tournaments/makes finals when I pick her lose early, and loses early when I pick her to do well, I am 99% confident that I'll be fully cheeked about 4 hours from now when she loses, painfully, 18-16 in the third.

networthy
01-18-2013, 06:23 PM
22 Kuznetsova pickers and 18 Kirilenko ones have snubbed the LL, at least for today.

JazzNU
01-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Well I'm out on the women's side. I don't trust Kirilenko, she's let me down before, so I went with Wickmayer. Even more disappointing that Yanina could have won for sure, with many of her errors being just a few inches out when it would have been easy to play it a bit safer and get the same winner, she inexplicably goes for the lines every time it seems.

evil_juju
01-20-2013, 04:27 PM
I love when I take myself out. :( I'm in Hong Kong and the time change screwed me!! Grrrrrr

Woody
01-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Caro lets me down. This is nothing new.

Irena2
01-20-2013, 08:30 PM
why, oh why, didn't I pick Tsonga? Here we come...

Drop-shot
01-20-2013, 08:34 PM
A very much delayed INCOMING!

AttackTheNet
01-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Well, my only consolation is if Reeshard loses to Jo-Willy. He was my original pick until I switched to Seppi.

zephyrstorm03
01-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Oops. I guess Seppi wasn't a good pick after all!! Oh well. I'm disappointed in how I did in the men's pool but happy I made is 5 days in the women's pool. I think that's a record for me! Thanks to everyone who runs the pools. I always enjoy playing! I'll be back in May!

ptmcmahon
01-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Well, my only consolation is if Reeshard loses to Jo-Willy. He was my original pick until I switched to Seppi.

I'm cheering for all the people I already used ... so that I never would've won because I picked people too early. A Berdych-Gasquet final!

johnnw45
01-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Can I order a Carlsberg and a Sambuca chaser please as Wozni-seppi take me out of both in just couple of hours on the last day before the updated picks thread :cry:

As ever many many thanks to the organizers! :tatrocks:

Federer70
01-22-2013, 08:30 AM
curious if anyone who picked ferrer was actually rooting for almagro last night when they were shock he was about to win :-). I was like - well, amalgro is deserving - e.g., finally going to overcome the 0-12, and so good for him. and then of course the meltdown exacerbated by the injury in the tie-break. oh well - almagro is totally mental!

ptmcmahon
01-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Here's a funny stat for me...updating my SP picks and I noticed in 2009 I went out on day 8 for men and day 9 of women...which I exactly matched this year!

Back then apparently a Jankovic loss forced me to change plans on day 9 though...imagine!

GernBlandston
01-23-2013, 07:42 AM
OK well that was ass. I was using the mobile site on my phone to pick Murray (and then Federer and then Nole, was the plan, but OH did I agonize over Federer or Murray yesterday, all for naught) and for some reason the request didn't make it through, and fool me didn't CHECK to make sure my pick made it through, and so here I am. If Fed wins and then Nole wins, I will consider it a moral victory. CURSE YOU, TECHNOLOGY!!!

ponchi101
01-25-2013, 04:51 AM
And my player NEVER to pick? Roger Federer.
Because of my verifiable incompetence at these pools, I have only been able to pick Federer twice, since I have only made it to the updated thread two times. The first time was the Wimby 2008 final, when Rafa did him in, and now, for the second time, the Aussie semis.
And Murray just beat him.
Still, a successful pool, for my standards. Please, some really fine Aussie wine, courtesy of the Swiss maestro.
As always, thanks for the team that runs the pool. It was truly fun. I will see you again for the IW practice one (and of course, before that).