PDA

View Full Version : Ask Questions about the Suicide Pool Here

Moose
01-05-2013, 07:17 AM
If you have any question at all about the 2013 Australian Open Suicide Pool, ask it in this thread. An answer will posted as quickly as possible.

Woody
01-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Uh-oh, I'm going winter camping this weekend and will be offline until Sunday night. IIRC the first match will start at 7pm EST Sunday night, right? I'm going to have to leave my potential picks with someboday... Does the AO play an entire half draw on Day 1 and the other half on Day 2? Men's and women's?

Drop-shot
01-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Uh-oh, I'm going winter camping this weekend and will be offline until Sunday night. IIRC the first match will start at 7pm EST Sunday night, right? I'm going to have to leave my potential picks with someboday... Does the AO play an entire half draw on Day 1 and the other half on Day 2? Men's and women's?

I believe so, but I defer the definitive answer to someone else.

shtexas
01-11-2013, 07:04 PM

Half day 1, half day 2. I'm not sure which half goes first, though.

Togtdyalttai
01-11-2013, 08:52 PM
The AO website says Hewitt, Djokovic, Li, and Sharapova, will play on Monday. That means Day 1 is Men's top half and Women's bottom half.

shtexas
01-11-2013, 09:23 PM
The AO website says Hewitt, Djokovic, Li, and Sharapova, will play on Monday. That means Day 1 is Men's top half and Women's bottom half.

Thank you, Tog! Very helpful.

Pattyfan
01-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Hey, just a quick question. I've been playing this for a couple of years and always like the challenge. The farthest I've gotten was to day 8, I think. Anyway, my question is, does someone here in the forum always make it to the end? Are there always/sometimes multiple winners? I always forget to check after I lose, though this time I won't ;)
Thanks for running this. It's a lot of fun. !
Kevin

Drop-shot
01-13-2013, 04:33 AM
Some people have great streaks and make it far for a few SPs in a row, but it is not common at all.

There are also multiple winners sometimes.

Scotty
01-13-2013, 10:18 AM
But, often the pool is decided before the final match. We call it Beating The Draw if a player (or more than one) can make correct picks (and not run out of players to pick) all the way through the tournament on either ATP or WTA side.

suliso
01-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Some people have great streaks and make it far for a few SPs in a row, but it is not common at all.

There are also multiple winners sometimes.

I think it was Herodotus who won 3 or 4 in a row few years ago. That's not counting very early ones mostly among original members of the board.

Drop-shot
01-13-2013, 02:27 PM
I think it was Herodotus who won 3 or 4 in a row few years ago. That's not counting very early ones mostly among original members of the board.

Csgnyc had an incredible streak not long ago.

Moose
01-13-2013, 02:33 PM

Herodotus was the first player to win three in a row (AO, French, Wimbledon - 2005), and threaten to win a Suicide Slam, but missed winning the US. And if I recall correctly, s/he is still the US short of a career Suicide Slam.

Csgnyc had an incredible streak not long ago.

CSGnyc was our first, and remains our only, calendar Suicide Slam winner, back in 2011.

suliso
01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
CSGnyc was our first, and remains our only, calendar Suicide Slam winner, back in 2011.

His/her name is not so memorable, so I had forgotten about that. Was it gender specific?

Moose
01-13-2013, 02:49 PM
His/her name is not so memorable, so I had forgotten about that. Was it gender specific?

It was all on the men's side, but I was incorrect - s/he won the '11 French, Wimbledon and US, and the '12 AO. So it was actually a Serena Suicide Slam.

Peggles12
01-13-2013, 03:30 PM
How do u post a pic..it took me forever just to get registered & why do I keep having to answer these questions about how many sets etc.. i don't watch WTA so I have no clue..

Moose
01-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Pic, meaning your pick for the game? Go to each thread (Day 1 mens, and Day 1 womens). and click reply to thread - but hurry, you only have about 25 minutes left, Peggles

Kirkus
01-13-2013, 03:43 PM
How do u post a pic..it took me forever just to get registered & why do I keep having to answer these questions about how many sets etc.. i don't watch WTA so I have no clue..

Hi Peggles12,

The question about the number of sets is part of the registration process for our forum. We have to do what we can to keep spammers (both human and bots) out of our forum. The question about sets is something that a bot can't answer and only tennis fans would know.

csgnyc
01-13-2013, 04:58 PM

My name is not so memorable? What does that mean?

Kirkus
01-13-2013, 11:59 PM

Hi Peggles12,

The question about the number of sets is part of the registration process for our forum. We have to do what we can to keep spammers (both human and bots) out of our forum. The question about sets is something that a bot can't answer and only tennis fans would know.

I've disabled this requirement for the duration of the suicide pool.

crashface
01-14-2013, 01:50 AM
I saw in the tourney schedule that the men's semis are on different days. if this is the case, how can you pick both semi winners AND the final winner (not that I expect to get that far, but someone could)?

morct
01-14-2013, 02:38 AM
I saw in the tourney schedule that the men's semis are on different days. if this is the case, how can you pick both semi winners AND the final winner (not that I expect to get that far, but someone could)?

The semi winner that you pick should be your losing finalist.

atlpam
01-14-2013, 06:43 AM

If the semis are played on different days, you are not required to make a pick each day, you would make one semi-final pick (the player you expect to be the loser in the final).

shmrck14
01-14-2013, 08:26 AM
I've seen a few posts referring to no picks or a day. What does that mean?

Sorry for the question, but I'm new here.

shmrck14
01-14-2013, 08:27 AM
No picks *for* a day.

shtexas
01-14-2013, 08:35 AM
No picks *for* a day.

I'm assuming you are looking at the contest archives. No picks refer to people who were still in the contest but failed to come back and make their next pick. So, they are out. Happens a lot early in the event.

ptmcmahon
01-14-2013, 08:35 AM
It is what we call it when someone still alive makes no pick for the day and thus being eliminated. Since you have to make a day 1 pick to enter there would never be a "no pick" on day 1.

We often joke about how no pick is a "safe" bet since you know what you're getting.

You'll see some for day 2 though!

pudding
01-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Forgot to enter a pick for the first day. Forgot it was starting today. Sob. Good Luck to everyone else.

Kirkus
01-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Forgot to enter a pick for the first day. Forgot it was starting today. Sob. Good Luck to everyone else.

:(

shmrck14
01-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks, that's what I thought!

crashface
01-14-2013, 11:14 AM
The semis are on different days - by the usual rules, we would have to pick the winners of BOTH semis. See the problem?

shtexas
01-14-2013, 11:16 AM
The semis are on different days - by the usual rules, we would have to pick the winners of BOTH semis. See the problem?

We only pick one semi (otherwise, as you realized, you cannot beat the draw). Pick due before the first semi.

Charlie02123
01-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Indeed. Hoisted by your own petard, TAT! WHEN WILL THE HYPOCRISY END!!!??? :freekingout:

joanjettson
01-19-2013, 09:44 AM
If I'm lucky enough to still be in for the QF round...do you know if those are played over two days (requiring two picks) or are all of the women's QF matches played on the same day? Thanks!

In other news, I greedily want Moose to sum up all of those early round picks, not just the top three. As if you weren't busy enough - I love the wit!

joanjettson
01-19-2013, 09:45 AM
PS just by asking that question, I am *almost* certain I'm dooming today's pick :)

Scotty
01-19-2013, 09:50 AM
On both men's and women's sides, SP players will need to make TWO QF picks.

Even though the men's semis are played on different days, both pools require only ONE SF pick (otherwise, no one could possibly beat the draw).

There may be only 3 different players picked on the women's side for Day 7, so I'll see if I can match Moose's wit in the re-cap. No promises, however.

joanjettson
01-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks, I look forward to it!

Pattyfan
01-22-2013, 06:18 AM
Hi all, Kevin here again. So I've made it to the 2nd day of the quarterfinals and now I have a question. If I make it to the semifinals, what happens? I saw in this thread a posting about only picking one semifinal but I didn't see details. If you make it to the semis, do you then get to choose which of the semis you want to make a choice for? I suppose that you will explain all this in the Day 11 or Day 12 posting, but I'm just curious. Thanks. :)

Moose
01-22-2013, 06:39 AM
Hey Kevin/PattyFan -

When we post tomorrow's SF thread, you will have to make your pick between the two semi matches, and make that pick before play begins on Thursday (Wednesday p.m. here if you are in the US).

dollymix
01-22-2013, 11:53 AM
I have a hypothetical question. Suppose two SP participants correctly pick Bob Jones to win his semifinal (and they are the only two to make a correct semifinal pick). Participant A had previously picked the other winning semifinalist, Tommy Smith, and so has no picks left for the final. Participant B picks Smith to win the final, but he loses to Jones - so neither participant ends up making a correct pick for the final. Do they share the medal or is Participant B the sole winner by virtue of having had a pick available for the final?

Just trying to maximize my chances here!

Moose
01-22-2013, 12:08 PM
I have a hypothetical question. Suppose two SP participants correctly pick Bob Jones to win his semifinal (and they are the only two to make a correct semifinal pick). Participant A had previously picked the other winning semifinalist, Tommy Smith, and so has no picks left for the final. Participant B picks Smith to win the final, but he loses to Jones - so neither participant ends up making a correct pick for the final. Do they share the medal or is Participant B the sole winner by virtue of having had a pick available for the final?

Just trying to maximize my chances here!

A player who is able to make a pick in the final would defeat someone who had run out of picks, Dollymix. So yes, Participant B would be the sole medlaist under your hypo.

dollymix
01-22-2013, 12:32 PM
A player who is able to make a pick in the final would defeat someone who had run out of picks, Dollymix. So yes, Participant B would be the sole medlaist under your hypo.

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

inkblot1983
01-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Two true or false questions for you.

1. If more than one beats the draw ,they're both declared winner?

2. If you're the last person standing but you don't beatthe draw, you're a silver medalist?

Thanks! Always a fun pool.

Charlie02123
01-22-2013, 06:44 PM
There may be only 3 different players picked on the women's side for Day 7, so I'll see if I can match Moose's wit in the re-cap. No promises, however.
Well if you can't match it, maybe you can lighter it. HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW! You can feel free to use that in your recap. I'll be here all week, folks.

Two true or false questions for you.

1. If more than one beats the draw ,they're both declared winner?

2. If you're the last person standing but you don't beatthe draw, you're a silver medalist?
Thanks! Always a fun pool.
I'm not a staffer, just a grizzled vet. #1 is true, although if there are prizes up for grabs there's a tiebreaker. #2 is false, I believe. If you are the last person standing, you win (gold, I'm assuming). Some draws are essentially impossible to beat if there are tons of wacky upsets. I'm not totally positive on #2 because the only SP medal I got I beat the draw (along with dozens upon dozens of others during a rain-logged Roland Garros).

inkblot1983
01-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Well if you can't match it, maybe you can lighter it. HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW! You can feel free to use that in your recap. I'll be here all week, folks.

I'm not a staffer, just a grizzled vet. #1 is true, although if there are prizes up for grabs there's a tiebreaker. #2 is false, I believe. If you are the last person standing, you win (gold, I'm assuming). Some draws are essentially impossible to beat if there are tons of wacky upsets. I'm not totally positive on #2 because the only SP medal I got I beat the draw (along with dozens upon dozens of others during a rain-logged Roland Garros).

Thanks Charlie! Hopefully you're right about number two haha. I'm still in on the women's draw so its definitely strategy time.